Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If this thread made your heart skip a beat then you already know what Card Export 2.0 offers. For the rest of you, it offers a way to make you're palm device's SD memory look like a USB drive on your Windows 2K/XP system, without installing any additional software or drivers on the PC!!!

This would be AWESOME for us Treo 600 owners who usually carry our PDA with us EVERYWHERE, but unfortunately the developers at softick are having problems getting the app to work with the Treo 600.

If you're interested in beta testing a version for the Treo 600, please read this thread in their forums for more information.

Before posting a reply, be sure actually register to be a member in the forum so they don't think all the replies are coming from the same person.

Thanks for your help!

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 06/10/2004 at 12:46 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Well at 924 views, at least it "appears" to be the most popular topic in the softick forums. I think the closest they have is at 430 views.

If we can just get a couple more replies it will be the most popular topic under the "Card Export II" topic on the forum. (That's not saying much since the most popular has 6 replies. )

Although, right now with 924 views and only three beta testing replies, the softick guys will probably think a lot of people are interested in using the product, but not many for testing.

Anyway, thanks to jerzydiver and paulmphs for their replies.

--TechDude
    TechDude,

I just created an account there and posted a request for support and willingness to test Card Export 2 on the Treo 600.
  4.    #4  
    Well, we now have the most replies and MUCH more views than any other thread. We broke 1000 today, but a few of those were me having trouble posting a reply.

Thanks to JBoogie, ymmij, and ericdfairchild for registering and replying. I guess a small thanks to the two "Guest" users... grrrrr.

If this doesn't get their attention, I don't suppose anything will. Unless maybe we all submit support request forms.

For some reason that yields better results in most cases. I'm not sure why they insist on having a separate conversation with 10 people over the same issue instead of posting one reply to a central location where everyone can read it.

Anyway, thanks again for participating. If it doesn't work, at least I can say I tried.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 06/11/2004 at 10:37 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
  5.    #5  
    Well, I hope things are not as bad as my response from Softick makes it sound. But, it appears that the USB Mass Storage approach softick has been using for other Palm devices will probably not work on the Treo 600.

I sent them a support request form on a separate issue and asked them for an update on how Treo 600 support was coming as well, and this is what they told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Softick Support
    Yes! it's happened! some days ago we have received Treo600 so now most important our task is to make Treo600 compatible version. I suppose that compatible version will be ready during 1-2 weeks. According to our investigations, it's impossible to debug CardExport remotely because our USB MassStroage approach can't be used for Treo at all. I should better say that we are performing not a bugfix but some CardExport redesign for Treo.

Sincerely yours
    Georgy Minaevsky
    I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 06/12/2004 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added title
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update. It may help if they know there is a lot of interest amoung the Treo users for it. I have been checking their site every couple of weeks but I'm glad to hear more of the details you've come up with.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Thanks to JBoogie, ymmij, and ericdfairchild for registering and replying. I guess a small thanks to the two "Guest" users... grrrrr.
    LOL I was the guest who started the thread, couldn't be bothered registering besides was at work and had to be quick!
    what more will .0 do.

right now i'm pretty happy with the current version, and it works.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Glad the current version works for you my PC at work doesn't like the usb drivers it tries to load up and it don't work, does work at home though, go figure!
    Mine did the same thing it worked at home but didn't at work. Even after a re-install at work still nothing. Can't wait for the next version to come out.
    The 2.0 version is an improvement over version 1 because it doesn't require you to install anything on the desktop computer in order to perform the software's main function: making the Treo's SD card appear as a "lettered drive" (as a mass storage device) in the desktop's file explorer system.

I have a very specific problem that this software could solve. While roaming overseas, GPRS costs are very high under my provider (Rogers Wireless in Canada). At this time, when I travel internationally I carry a small SD card reader that plugs directly into a PC's USB port. When I want to download a big file to the Treo (e.g. a big MS-Word document) from the Internet or my corporate site, I find a PC and plug in the SD card reader and the card from the Treo and download to the card that way.

This saves me the expense of all that GPRS data, which has cost several hundred dollars in the past when travelling. It's faster too. Obviously I can't depend on being able to install the Card Export 1 driver on any computer I happen across (e.g. typically at a hotel or a conference center), so version 1 is not useful.

I've been checking the Softick site weekly for a Treo 600 version ever since version 2.0 came out, but can't help test since I can't afford to have my Treo get flakey with beta software. Sorry.
    Hi,

I recieved, via email, the following message from softick this morning. Kind of gives me a bit of hope.

Terry
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your request. Yes, you are absolutely right, we have
    tons of requests about Treo 600

We have good news. CardExport II for Treo 600 will be released during
    next several days since we have some good results with this handheld.

--
    Best regards,
    *Georgy Minaevsky
    *Softick Support Department
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I tried this app when it was version 1.13, 1.14. It worked great except that it used to blue screen my WinXP laptop unpredicatably, so I couldn't keep it installed. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it worked properly. Looking forward to seeing what 2.0 does once supported.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by arielmt
    I tried this app when it was version 1.13, 1.14. It worked great except that it used to blue screen my WinXP laptop unpredicatably, so I couldn't keep it installed. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it worked properly. Looking forward to seeing what 2.0 does once supported.
    Yeah, 1.14 did the same thing on my two Windows XP suystems at home, as well as a Windows 2000 PC at work that I had to reload because it eventually would not complete a boot after such a blue screen.

I have since then reloaded my two home PCs and would REALLY like to be able to use a new version that did not require the funky SCSI drivers from 1.14.

--TechDude
    A beta version of Card Export 2 that works with the Treo 600 is now out, at: http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/
    Excellent! The Beta3 didn't work properly on my T600, but this new Beta4 is working great. Who needs a USB Flash Drive now? One less item to carry around - convergence is great!
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I had never tried this until I saw this post today. Works as stated. Will end up purchasing this when the trial period is over. Only thing that I have noticed is that when you are connected to your computer, you might not be able to recieve calls. Only reason I think this is when I would disconnect I would get a few sms that might have been trying to come through. It could just be prefect timing. Will have to do some more tests. Now I wish this would have came out before I bought 2 sd readers, one for work and one for home.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Yet another great tool!
    T/C is why I love the my Treo600 so much every couple of days I find some new trick or tool for my phone. My wife and kids says "There he goes again playing with the phone" but they just don't understand its not laying it research!
    havent installed it yet, but got 2.0 free because I bought 1.4 last december.

Woo Hoo.

Should I uninstall 1.4 first? From the device and the PC?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Wow. Very nice. Works beautifully.

I even played some mp3 files off the card on my desktop.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast