Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The "second time is a charm" under XP is common - happened to me, happened to a couple other posters here. Since then it's worked flawlessly.
    Gadzooks . . . a utility (beta!) that works EXACTLY as it's supposed to, on multiple platforms, and with a minimum of fuss. Excellent job from the vendor, and they already have my $14.95.
    I can also attest to it working flawlessly under linux as well (Gentoo kernel 2.6.7). I must add that while the app worked great... it took me a while to figure out that I needed to manually mount the drive that it was to appear on. But after that I was able to copy mp3's to the card MUCH MUCH faster than I could ever sync or... email to the phone and then copy over like I was doing before. (Didn't have time to wait on a sync, so I would send the email and then after 10 minutes or so I would copy it to the card... another 10 minutes later I would be able to play it.) There is no doubt that I will be buying this!!
    Ollie Townsend III
    http://www.netapex.net
    So cool! I can read my snapper emails on my pc! So If I need to , I can print them. Best new utility in a loooong time. They will have my money pronto!
    Mine worked flawlessly....the first time. Showed it to a friend of mine that owns a AT&T Treo 600. He was blown away. So much easier to load MP3s!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    I'm getting consistent transfer times of about 17 MB per minute, with peaks as high as 20 MB per minute. It looks like you're hitting around 12, which is a little slower.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm using a SanDisk UltraII so maybe that's why my transfer speeds are faster. What type of SD card are you using?

--TechDude

I transferred 46MB using Card Export (registered version of the Beta). It took 00:04:05, but only took 00:00:54 using my PNY card reader. I have a Kingston 512. The utility Card Speed always reports though, that my card performance is extremely slow. Doesn't seem that slow with the card reader.

Are the read/write mechanisms in the Treo that are to blame?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jaguar
    I transferred 46MB using Card Export (registered version of the Beta). It took 00:04:05, but only took 00:00:54 using my PNY card reader. I have a Kingston 512. The utility Card Speed always reports though, that my card performance is extremely slow. Doesn't seem that slow with the card reader.

Are the read/write mechanisms in the Treo that are to blame?
    4:05 minutes is a lot faster than what it would have taken using hotsync (just and fyi for those that don't have a card reader)
    I have used Card Export Ver. 1.14 for over 6 month now after transfering it from my Treo 90. The program has worked great, are there any improvements in the new version that would be a reason to upgrade.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone
    I have used Card Export Ver. 1.14 for over 6 month now after transfering it from my Treo 90. The program has worked great, are there any improvements in the new version that would be a reason to upgrade.
    The new version does not require any special software to be installed on the PC. So you can move documents between your PC and any other PC without having to install pesky drivers/software on the system. (Assuming the PC is OSX/Windows 2000/XP and has a free USB port)

If you only use the program to write MP3's to your Treo, or to transfer files between your work and home PC, you may not have much reason to upgrade. But I like the idea that if I wanted to transfer something to someone's PC from my treo, I could do it with very little effort. AND without them worrying about me installing buggy software on their system.

The SCSI drivers installed by the 1.14 version have caused myself and a few other members a little heart ache, so if you decide to stick with what you've got, beware!

--TechDude
    Transfer times for a 19,000 KB file on a USB 2.0 connection
    Using Card beta 4 - 1min 20 sec
    Using Microtech Zio SD Card reader- 23 sec

Conculsuion, use a card reader. Keep Card Export in case you forget your card reader or don't have enough card readers as you do computers.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Card reader = faster and cheaper

Card Export = more convientiant at times
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobvark
    Transfer times for a 19,000 KB file on a USB 2.0 connection
    Using Card beta 4 - 1min 20 sec
    Using Microtech Zio SD Card reader- 23 sec

Conculsuion, use a card reader. Keep Card Export in case you forget your card reader or don't have enough card readers as you do computers.
    It takes me more than a minute to find my cable and reader around my desk , so to save 57 sec's, all I can say is great Handy program.
    What is everyone using for a cable when attached to some random PC? Does anyone make a shorter version of the Handspring connector to USB connector or are you making your own? It seems that it would be better to carry a short connector cable (versus the 6 foot version that came with the Treo) with you if you ever needed to connect to some PC while you're on the road.

Don C
    i'm not actually carying my cable around with me, but if I did it ould probably be the laptop cable that charges the treo without an external power supply. I currently use this withmy laptop.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    I usually have my retractable charger/sync cable wth me
    Just an update... It looks like the "release version" of Card Export 2 is out at the Softick web site. The release notes (found in the downloaded Zip file) describe it as "Fixed few bugs on Treo 600 smartphones (thanks to TreoCentral users)."
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Agree that it's good to have loaded for convenience. Works great with my Sprint Treo600 on my mac, work PC, and wife's WinXP. Very cool.

Ed
    http://www.rezonate.com/walkabout/whatsonmytreo600.html
    I keep hearing, both in this forum and on Softick's, the same basic response to questions about WIN 98 support for Card Export: "Why are you mucking about with a 6-year old OS? Get with the times, loser."

Does anyone besides me see the problem with an application whose main plus is that it allows the user to interface with any public PC without installing anything on it, but does not support a commonly used OS? Sure, all the techno-geeks who own Treo 600s and run programs such as Card Export probably do have the latest version of XP or Win2003 on their own computers. But guess what...a lot of morons out there are still running 98. And we might have to access our SD cards through those 98 boxes! I have seen many hotels, libraries, and public schools with Win98 machines as the only public use computers. At my last job, there was an entire sub-network of Win98 machines because a specific app we needed would only run properly on 98 (who'da thunk it?). And right now I am using a Win98 machine at my sister's house to type this post because my recent divorce has left me with only my Treo600 to cover all computing needs for the time being. Am I supposed to say, "Hey sis, everybody on the web thinks you're a loser for using Win98, so lay out a couple hundred bucks for an OS upgrade so I can use a $20 Palm app"...?

Personally, given the still-widespread use of Win98, I do not think that Card Export is worth dollar one until the authors address that compatibility issue.
  20.    #80  
    Jazzop, I sympathise with your situation, but do you really think Softick is to blame? They just made a product that takes advantage of a standard that Microsoft apparently decided not to support under Windows 98. (USB Mass Storage Devices) So shouldn't your gripe be with Microsoft? They're the ones who didn't provide a propper update.

Anyway, try this link and let us know how it works. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective.) I don't have a Windows '98 machine to test it on. So I can't be much help in diagnosing what problems you might have.

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

Sorry your having to go through all this to get it to work. But such is the price you pay when you're dealing with older technology.

It's just like trying to put a MP3 CD in an older car stereo. You can't really expect the people who gave you the MP3 CD to fix it. And you really can't blame the people who made the stereo. After all, how were they supposed to make the stereo play a format that didn't exist at the time?

So your choices are, learn to modify the car stereo yourself so it will play the $0 CD, or spend $200 to replace it with something that will. Same here. Fix 98, or replace it. Good luck.

:EDIT: I consider the main function of this program to emulate a USB card reader so that you don't have to carry one of those around. Since this is a problem with the OS not having the USB Mass Storage Device Drivers, you'd have the same problem using most USB card readers. So, I'd say the product is doing exactly what it's intended to. Once again, blame Microsoft.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 08/05/2004 at 01:47 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast