Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I received the following SMS from T-Mobile:

    "Free T-Mobile Msg: Important upgrade now available for your Treo600. Improves performance & reliability. Download today via PC at www.t-mobile.com/treoupgrade"

    I am on the ROW version. I wonder why T-Mo is sending these SMS's telling everyone to upgrade to their version. Also, it's interesting that T-Mobile tracks that I am using A Treo 600.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2. #2  
    just got that message too.
  3. #3  
    where did you purchase the treo 600 from?

    did you call tmo and upgrade the treo 600 (and direct you to palmone reps?)

    i purchased treo600 directly from palmone website and selected "other gsm" as unlocked and unbranded. i do not get any sms regarding the upgrade thou.
  4. #4  
    I got the message as well, even though I purchased my Treo through Expansys.

    Don't know how they know... but they know...

    W.
  5. #5  
    I received the same message today.
  6. #6  
    purchaced from palmone, tmobile upgrade.
  7. #7  
    I got the message today. I bought a Cingular unlocked phone via Palmone and am using it with T-Mobile. I note that the TMO software download page says:
    "For customers who acquired their Treo 600 from another wireless carrier:

    If you acquired your Treo 600 from another carrier and are now using it with T-Mobile service, use the updater created for your original carrier (not T-Mobile). Visit palmOne's website to get the correct version of the updater. "

    Why would that be? What's the harm in installing the TMO updater over a Cingular phone? Has anyone tried this? Should I be afraid that the Cingular updater will lock me out of using TMO?
  8.    #8  
    I purchased a Cingular version from Handspring, then had the phone replaced with an unbranded version by PalmOne. I still received the SMS.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9. #9  
    i got it too. i wonder if this applies against my bucket?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbrent
    I got the message today. I bought a Cingular unlocked phone via Palmone and am using it with T-Mobile. I note that the TMO software download page says:
    "For customers who acquired their Treo 600 from another wireless carrier:

    If you acquired your Treo 600 from another carrier and are now using it with T-Mobile service, use the updater created for your original carrier (not T-Mobile). Visit palmOne's website to get the correct version of the updater. "

    Why would that be? What's the harm in installing the TMO updater over a Cingular phone? Has anyone tried this? Should I be afraid that the Cingular updater will lock me out of using TMO?
    Because each carrier's updater will only update a T600 that has that carrier's "mark". The current T-Mobile updater, for example, won't update a Cingular marked phone.

    There is no problem with the update though, just that the updater is coded to refuse to update. You can "fix" this by using a utilitly program called Tokenwriter (search this forum) to "re-mark" your T600 as belonging to any carrier you chose, and then that carrier's updater will work on your phone.

    This does NOT apply to Sprint CDMA T600s, just to the GSM T600s.

    Bill S
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i got it too. i wonder if this applies against my bucket?
    My message specifically says free.

    "Free T-Mobile Msg: Important upgrade..."

    Bill S
  12. #12  
    I got one too on Sprint. "Sprint Alert: Treo600 Fix - From your PC, download this software patch: www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_600_updater"

    What's odd is that there doesn't appear to be anything new for Sprint that hasn't been known about since last month. I guess they just want to make sure that everyone gets upgraded to the latest version?

    - Mike
  13. #13  
    I got the text message as well. I bought mine (unbranded GSM) through the PalmOne Upgrade for T-mobile users. I haven't upgraded the firmware on it at all, is it worth the hassle?

    Also will using Tmobile firmware lock/brand my phone so I can't use it with other carriers?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredyth
    I got the text message as well. I bought mine (unbranded GSM) through the PalmOne Upgrade for T-mobile users. I haven't upgraded the firmware on it at all, is it worth the hassle?

    Also will using Tmobile firmware lock/brand my phone so I can't use it with other carriers?
    It's no hassle, and there are a few features that you might find useful. The ability (finally!) to do voice recording is the biggie, although I like the option to hide sms messages on receipt. You still get an annoying popup screen, but now it merely says you have an SMS, it doesn't blast the message for all to see.
  15. #15  
    It wants your software to be "INT" before upgrading.

    http://www.t-mobile.com/treoupgrade/FAQ_popup.asp#Q7

    7. How do I verify that I have the latest version of the software on my Treo 600?
    To determine the software version of your Treo 600, complete the following steps:
    1. From your Treo 600, press the button with the phone handset. This will launch the phone application.
    2. Press the “Menu” button
    3. Press the letter “I” to see the Phone Info.

    If the Software says “Treo600-1.12-INT”, then you have the latest software and do not need to upgrade your device.

    If the Software has anything other than “INT” at the end (“AWS” or “CNG”), you will need to go to the following page to upgrade your software: http://www.palmone.com/treo600updater/
  16. #16  
    Did any try the t-mobile upgrade after they sent tehe SMS. I do not know how they came to know I am using treo?. I bought it from P1. However, after I did my update, I do not get the web fast enough and most of the time get a msg saying unable to download. This started the very moment I completed the update. So is my email. Before the update, tzones was blazing. I was pretty much able to see any website - directions on the go, weather etc.
    Now the question, does any one know who to undo the update so I go back to what it was?

    Paddy123
  17. #17  
    are other having problems browsing using Tzones after the update. i dont want to lose my browsing
  18. #18  
    I'm wondering how t-mobile knew I was using a Treo 600.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by latca
    I'm wondering how t-mobile knew I was using a Treo 600.
    For GSM networks, the mobile phone connected to a particular network actually sends the IMEI number back to the network provider, this is how they block stolen phones from using the network. So they might be checking the IMEI number that you have, and send you a message when the number registers as a Treo 600. ANd as far as I know, only the Treo has an IMEI number with 0102...most mobile phones has 350.....something. But of course, I'm not sure if they are acually using this method to know your phone model. Just to give you guys an insight.
    Heck...they might even be spying on you...(scary)

Posting Permissions