1.    #1  
    Hi all!

Been enjoying my Treo for 2 months now, and TreoCentral has been a wealth of information. Thanks to all!

However, I have been unable to find an answer for two problems that have been plaguing me since I started using my Treo, but I don't know if it's a Treo-specific, SIM card-specific, or Rogers-specific problem.

Problem 1: When I tap the SIM Services icon, my Treo crashes and I have to perform a reset.

First, I'd like to know what SIM Services does. I have been able to copy phone numbers from my contact list onto the SIM Book with no problems, but I can't do anything with SIM Services, except practice my pin resetting skills. The specific fatal alert I get is: "MemoryMgr.c, Line 4340, NULL handle" (and the Reset button that appears doesn't work). Googling the error provided information on other issues, but nothing that specifically deals with SIM Services.

EDIT: FWIW, I tried using a Fido SIM card (yeah, I have too many phones; its a problem I'm working on), with exactly the same results when tapping SIM Services; therefore, I don't think it's a SIM card-specific problem (unless I have two bum cards ).

Problem 2: When I try to configure my Treo for web and mail, I follow the steps in the wizard to the letter, and it always returns with a message that "Setup cannot read your SIM card". Does this mean I was sold a defective SIM card, or is there a problem with the setup program? When I initially inserted the SIM card, I was unable to detect the Rogers network, but after I installed the GPRS 1.1.2 update, my Treo found the network and everything was fine from a phone and SMS perspective. I'm not sure that I will ever use my Treo for wireless browsig, but email is something I would definitely like to have.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions/solutions, I'd be very happy to get your take on these matters.
    Last edited by hotbranch; 06/10/2004 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    Problem 1: When I tap the SIM Services icon, my Treo crashes and I have to perform a reset.
    Hi,

Your service provider probably does not provide that service.

You probably know SMS-based services, where you send an SMS message with a certain command to a certain phone number and receive the requested information as an SMS message a few seconds later. You could, for example, send a command "W NYC" to phone number 9595 and receive the wather forecast for NY moments later (I'm just making this up).

But if you had a specially enabled SIM Card, you would use "SIM Services" to access an on-screen menu, where you could use your stylus to navigate the options: Information > Weather > New York. Each menu option knows what command to send to what number, so you don't have to remember them.

I don't know if SIM cards can be enabled to do other stuff, but that is how it works here. I work at the Santiago Stock Exchange and we've enabled this service for inquiries on price quotes for traded stocks.

Regards,
    Chriz
  3.    #3  
    Many thanks for the answer. It would appear that Rogers and Fido don't offer SIM services at this time. (Which might explain why I couldn't find information on that subject on their support site.)

Now, if I could resolve the mail/web configuration problem, I would be golden.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Have you signed up for the Rogers e-mail/Internet service for your Treo? You need to do so...when I bought my Treo, I thought I could just configure software and get my e-mail and surf the 'Net on my Treo, but Rogers unequivocally told me the reason it wouldn't work is because I hadn't signed up...
  5.    #5  

<slapping of hand on side of face>

D'oh!

It hadn't ocurred to me to even think about that. (Possibly because I try to avoid Rogers CSRs as much as possible.)

I know that they modified my plan when I switched from digital to GSM, but I don't know if that includes wireless email/web.

Thanks for the info!
    I have a Treo 180 and plan to buy a Treo 270 to upgrade. When i got my Treo 180, somehow I managed to copy ALL my SIM card numbers to my Phonebook Contact List without any problem. of course now I've forgotten how I did it, but when i tried it recently, I can't seem to do it...the SIM BOOK program only allows you to copy sim numbers onto your speed dial. Previuosly when I did it (the method of which i've obviously forgotten), it went straight into my Phonebook/Contact List - with names and numbers in the name and mobile no. fields respectively. Can I ask how does one import from SIM to Phonebook?

Also, I've purchased a non-Treo mobile phone recently and would like to use my stored numbers between both devices. Therefore, I would like to copy all my Treo Phonebook/Contact List items onto the SIM. I can't find any way to do it. Anyone has suggestions?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    I have been able to copy phone numbers from my contact list onto the SIM Book with no problems, but I can't do anything with SIM Services, except practice my pin resetting skills.