Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just found something neat. You can use pics other than those taken by the camera for picture caller ID.

Within an app that can send pics (ie. splashphoto) send the pics to yourself via MMS. when the MMS comes in, click on the image and it will prompt you to save it. Click "save picture" and it is downloaded into the Treo Camera database. you can now assign that pic as a caller ID image.

*due to MMS limitations, the image size, and therefore quality, are reduced during this process. It is still much better than most pics taken by the camera however!

Enjoy.

-Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyricciardi
    Just found something neat. You can use pics other than those taken by the camera for picture caller ID.

Within an app that can send pics (ie. splashphoto) send the pics to yourself via MMS. when the MMS comes in, click on the image and it will prompt you to save it. Click "save picture" and it is downloaded into the Treo Camera database. you can now assign that pic as a caller ID image.
    That is FAR to complicated. Simply put your JPGs in the:
    <your drive letter>:\Program Files\Palm-Treo\Treo Pictures\<your name)\Transfer
    directory and do a Hot Sync. Your JPGs will be transfered to your Treo where you can use them for caller ID.
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    That is FAR to complicated. Simply put your JPGs in the:
    <your drive letter>:\Program Files\Palm-Treo\Treo Pictures\<your name)\Transfer
    directory and do a Hot Sync. Your JPGs will be transfered to your Treo where you can use them for caller ID.
    Yep, that's what I did. It never even occured to me that I could use the pics from the camera instead... probably cuz the pics are so horrible that I wouldn't want to.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    The camera can fairly easily take very good pictures. See my photo blog (in my sig). Every single shot was taken with my Treo 600. Granted the camera's exposure settings are a little more consistent now that we (Sprint users) have the 1.20 update, but I've always gotten really good results from it, all things considered. Maybe everyone else's camera sucks and I got the only decent one. Yeah. Uh-huh.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    And by the way, all of this guy's pictures were taken with his Treo too. I guess he got the ONE other unit with a decent camera.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    And since this is a "tips" thread, I'll offer a tip:

To adjust the exposure and the color saturation on the Treo camera, just in case the default provided by the software isn't really what you're going for (e.g. your subject is off-center or something), cover the lens briefly with your finger. Touching the lens isn't necessary, just cover it enough to darken the image. When you remove your finger it will relatively slowly go through a range of exposures and saturations. At any point you can snap the photo.
    My message sent from my Treo was mangled and DOA, so I'll try my message again from the PC.

Check out wireless doc's excellent Treo pics and Treo camera tips at:

http://www.wireless-doc.com/treoportfolio.htm

I humbly add my own Treo pics:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ekreminski/

These can be viewed on your Treo using Blazer.

If you need help with the blue dot syndrome try the free version of Neat Image:

http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

Enjoy,
    EdK
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
  8.    #8  
    Guess I should have prefaced my tip by saying it was for us Mac Users as we do not have access to the Treo Pictures folder on our desktops. This workaround is for Macintosh users.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Another work-around: Copy the file to your SD card, then browse to it with Blazer. The URL would be something like file://mypics/sally.jpg. Blazer will ask if you want to "download" it. Answer in the affirmative, and the picture will be converted and deposited in your Picture app. Now you can use it for wallpaper, caller ID, whatever.

Mac users. Just give up already. Concede defeat. You might as well be in the friggin' Alamo. :-)
    Easier still is to use LightWav and use any .jpg or .gif file as your caller id photo. You're also not limited to your speed dials. You can assign a picture to everyone in your entire address book if you so desire.
  11.    #11  
    Concede Defeat...Never!

Mac Users are very quickly becoming what the early Linux users were...a mysterious group who has something very cool going on, but nobody's entirely sure what.

As evidence by Windows XP and now, Longhorn, Msofts blatant hijacking of all things OSX. MSoft has ripped off Apple so many times, it's become humorous. Now Microsoft is announching a "better" ipod-like device. Yes Mac users are perpetually in the minority, but as for the Windoze users, it must be a drag to always be playing catch-up in terms of innovation, creativity and "coolness" factor.

Seems like the company line at Microsoft is, "we'll wait for someone to create something innovative, useful and affordable and then we'll make a lame attempt to re-engineer it into something else and force it down the throats of our zombie like hoard."

Examples: Windows 1.0, Windows CE, Pocket PC, Windows 95, Longhorn, MSN Messenger, MSN.net and on and on and on.

These are all lame attempts to re-invent an already exisiting technology into something woefully less interesting or creative.

My manifesto is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    Easier still is to use LightWav and use any .jpg or .gif file as your caller id photo. You're also not limited to your speed dials. You can assign a picture to everyone in your entire address book if you so desire.
    Alli, is your hand in the pocket of ToySoft? Cause you sure do push their products.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    Alli, is your hand in the pocket of ToySoft? Cause you sure do push their products.
    Yeah, and people complain constantly about Lightwave screwing up other things and about the delays in the rings. I tried the demo for about 10 minutes and then had ZLauncher wipe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    And by the way, all of this guy's pictures were taken with his Treo too. I guess he got the ONE other unit with a decent camera.
    those pictures are way too good.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    None of them come with a decent camera. Not his, not yours, not mine. Decent might be something like the camera on the Casio A5406CA phone which has 3.2 megapixel resolution, auto-focus and a macro mode. Or even one of the many models of phones which have a built in flash. But not the camera on the treo.

You're mistaking quality photo taking (composition, light balance, etc) with a good camera. That guy is a very good photographer. If those photos were taken with better equipment, they'd yield far more impressive results.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    So many of you people just *****, *****, *****. The point is, you can--with very little effort--take very good photos with the Treo 600's camera. And this is just one feature of MANY.

No FLASH?!! HAAHHAHAHAHAHAA!
    You're mistaking simple facts with *****ing. The fact that the treo's camera is not as good as a stand alone camera feature-wise can't be argued. Laugh all you want. That doesn't suddenly mean that we all hate our treos. Quite the opposite, I think it's an incredible device and couldn't imagine being without it. Why are you trying so hard to push the treo? You're preaching to the choir... we already own one! This thread was about multiple ways of getting pics into the phone for caller ID usage, let's keep it on track.
    Thanks, Tony, for all your notes here.

I agree completely about Microsoft, and I've been looking for a way to do what you offered regarding photo-caller-ID with pictures taken from other cameras.

(BTW, I wrote a long reply to you and skidoo offering more evidence, but it got deleted while I was previewing. Suffice to say, I'd bet Skidoo drives a GM or Chrysler vehicle!)

Anyway, I can't for the life of me figure out how to send a message with SplashPhoto, as you suggest. I have version 3.03 and see no way to send, other than beaming. Can you enlighten this Mac compadre?
    Many thanks!
  19.    #19  
    Sorry, but I'm using Splash Photo 4 and it's available on the menu when you have a pic selected.

Not sure if it's even possible in version 3.
    That must be it.
    Another reason to upgrade Splash.
    Thanks, again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast