1.    #1  
    Dumb question I know but...

How do I copy a file (any file) from my PC to the SD card on a Treo 600.

I use Palm Desktop 4.1 on Windows XP and have a USB connection to my Treo 600 -- which has latest June 2004 firmware.

The Palm Desktop Install Tool doesn't work. When I add a file this way it fails with a log entry

"ERROR: The following files(s) could not be installed to the SD card because there is no application on your handheld to open these files."

Why in the world would this make any difference? In my case the error is still incorrect because I was trying to copy a PDF file over -- and I do have Acrobat Reader installed on my Treo. Argggg!

Any help is much appreciated.
    The easiest and fastest method is to use a SD card reader/writer. Another option is to use an application called CardExport to make the Treo act like a removable drive in Windows. It sounds like Acrobat Reader doesn't register itself as the application associated with PDF files, so that's why you're getting an error. There is an application at http://www.toysoft.ca to assign applications to file types, so that you wouldn't get the error when hotsyncing.
    Card export works great been using it for months and never had a problem.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrnet
    Dumb question I know but...

How do I copy a file (any file) from my PC to the SD card on a Treo 600.

I use Palm Desktop 4.1 on Windows XP and have a USB connection to my Treo 600 -- which has latest June 2004 firmware.

The Palm Desktop Install Tool doesn't work. When I add a file this way it fails with a log entry

"ERROR: The following files(s) could not be installed to the SD card because there is no application on your handheld to open these files."

Why in the world would this make any difference? In my case the error is still incorrect because I was trying to copy a PDF file over -- and I do have Acrobat Reader installed on my Treo. Argggg!

Any help is much appreciated.
    go to www.adobe.com and download the adobe acrobat reader for palm OS package. It installs a PC conduit where u can add your pdf files which transfer to your phone on hotsync. Untagged pdf files get modified to fit palm resolution too. i am surprised u have the adobe reader on your palm but not the conduit on the pc!
    Do I down load Adobe for Palm OS for Windows (I have windows on my pc) or the Mac version. I am using the palm desktop on my pc because my outlook is full of vendors I don't want on my phone. I have a treo 600. Thanks MIke
    Not a dumb question at all. I wasted some time figuring out how to schlep files across the USB interface cable to the T600 before I got myself one of these...

4-in-1 PC card adapter
    http://www.pny.com/products/flash/4in1.asp

...which just fits in my lapstation's PC-card slot (I leave it in all the time) and then I can just stick my SD and memory-stick cardz into it at will. They just look like a disk drive to windoze. Of course you could get a reader that uses USB, but I bet unless it is a USB 2.0 (and your computer also has USBv2), it'll be fairly slow.
    mobileuser
    [PalmCentro-Sprint / (K)Ubuntu GNU/Linux]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mike
    Do I down load Adobe for Palm OS for Windows (I have windows on my pc) or the Mac version. I am using the palm desktop on my pc because my outlook is full of vendors I don't want on my phone. I have a treo 600. Thanks MIke
    if you have windows on your PC, why would you download the Mac version?
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Basically, the Palm Install tool doesn't normally allow you to just transfer any/all files if they're not associated as a recognizable file type with a specific app. This can be circumvented using a file extension manager as explained above...or you could just bypass the Install Tool as well. IMO, the best solutions in order are:

-external card reader: can get for pretty cheap these days

-Card Export2 : Turns Treo into external drive. Pretty pricey, but nifty solution if you can't carry a sync cable

-Pilot Install: great little replacement for Palm Install utility. Can install directly to any dir on card, and fast!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions