1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I really need help.

I was using an IBM ThinkPad A21M running Windows 98SE. Back then, I just put my Treo infornt of the IR port and the notebook would see it. I could then "Send to IR recepient" files I needed in my treo (MIDI mostly for ring tones). Recently, my unit was upgraded to Windows XP and could no longer do the send thing. Looking at the system info, it says my IR port is working, but when I put my T600 infront of the IR, nothing happends.

What should I do?

Thanks.
    When you say your IR is working, how did you tell? If you go into Control Panel->Wireless Link and click on the hardware tab it should show you that the device is working properly: see attachment

Another thing to try; under the Image Transfer tab, uncheck the "Use Wireless Link to transfer images from a digital camera to your computer. It shouldn't stop your Treo from being detected, but it will definitely stop an IR Hotsync.

Finally, make sure you haven't turned Beam Receive off under Preferences->General on your Treo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3.    #3  
    Hi! Thanks for the reply, but I did everything you said and still can't get it to work. Seems that they are unable to establish a link for some reason.

Any more suggestions?
    Try linking your Treo with another Palm device to make sure the Treo IR is working properly, then try linking that other Palm to your laptop to make sure IT is working. Also, make sure you are not linking in a room with lots of flourescent light, as this can interfere with it. Finally, sometimes the IR LED's are not mounted correctly, and you may have to set the Treo off at an angle (although I doubt it if it used to work)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puklo
    Hi! Thanks for the reply, but I did everything you said and still can't get it to work. Seems that they are unable to establish a link for some reason.

Any more suggestions?
    Hi,

If I understand well, your XP doesn't even see the phone if you put it in front of the IR port?

Is "Beam Receive" (Preferences->General->Beam Receive->On) turned on on the Treo?

My XP Pro is not very "eager" to recognize my Treo either and I sometimes have to soft reset the phone before they communicate.

I also had to create a special connection for my computer as XP wouldn't eat the standard "IR to a PC/Handheld" connection". The one I created is as follows: Connect to->PC - Via->Infrared, under details Speed->57600 (can't go higher) - Flow Ctl->Automatic.

A last (and very strange) point: when I want to HotSync and I put the Treo in front of the IR port, my XP recognizes the phone but when I push the HotSync screen, they stop communicating.

To get it working, I have to make the Treo inviseable for XP, tap the HotSync screen on the Treo and then, when the processus has started, put them in line. XP then picks up immediately and the HotSync runs without problems.

Hope I helped,

Bye,

Ton

While I write this, I tried to push the speed up to 115200 and (oh miracle) Mister XP was kind enough to accept it. One of the daily updates of XP (this stands for expert doesn't it ) must have fixed this bug!!
    Last edited by Tonio78370; 06/11/2004 at 10:19 AM.
    IR HotSync is flaky because of the odd setup of IR on many laptops. It uses a lot of battery power (IR=heat) and is slow (Serial vs USB synch). I have never managed to get my Thinkpad 600x to IR hotSync on W2k even though the port appears to be OK. I can send files to my Treo using the Send command in Wireless link so I know the port is good. I would rather use a USB card reader to move files between Treo and laptop if I really need to move a file and I dont have my synch cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    IR HotSync is flaky because of the odd setup of IR on many laptops. It uses a lot of battery power (IR=heat) and is slow (Serial vs USB synch). I have never managed to get my Thinkpad 600x to IR hotSync on W2k even though the port appears to be OK. I can send files to my Treo using the Send command in Wireless link so I know the port is good. I would rather use a USB card reader to move files between Treo and laptop if I really need to move a file and I dont have my synch cable.
    Fully agree but.... we're all spending fortunes on wireless stuff (keyboards, mice, etc.) and as IR is the only wireless thing my beloved Tréo has to offer I settle for that.

Then again it's not that bad with the speed. A full sync with some 800 pages of AvantGo takes something like four or five minutes - good moment for an expresso

Bye,

Ton