Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Here's one of my favorites: When in Blazer, press the spacebar to change the "highlight" for the 5-way to the bottom portion of the screen. A great way to stop a page from loading without using your finger on that tiny little "X" button. It also helps you to avoid scrolling through every link on a long page just to get down to the bottom-of-the-screen buttons.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen
    Handy: Hitting the Spacebar while on a call switches between speakerphone and (not speakerphone)
    Woohoo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland216
    Woohoo!!
    is there something similar to toggle between mute & non-mute? That would be more helpful to me. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    Bob's Alarm (and many other alarm clock programs, I imagine) has a timer feature. Set the number of minutes, start the clock, and it will countdown to zero and alarm you, even in the background and/or if you switch the Treo off. I use it for cooking.
    Bob's Alarm also allows you to define presets, so you can create a bunch of timer events with different durations and scroll between them. It's a really great app, especially when combined with Bob's PopLaunch.
    Option-p changes the brightness of the screen to bright or dim, based on your current setting. Useful if you like to keep your screen dimmed but need to brighten it when you walk outside (no comment on the percentage of people on this board who don't get outside very much).
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Pretty basic, but you never know...........Start typing a first, last or initials in the phone app and you go to that person in contacts and can dial from there.
    my favorite app for short timers when cooking is diddlebug. you can write on the screen like a sticky note and set a countdown or an alarm for a specific time - quick & easy
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    I purchased the upgrade to PT 3 deluxe for $19.95 today. Heck of a deal! Ben

-------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    You will not have to wait long.

The beta testing has finished, so it should only be a matter of a few days now.

It's worth the wait.
    The launcher program on the Treo 600 works better than I thought...I used to always use the nav pad to get to the program I wanted to launch, however if you just type "s" then it takes you to the first program that starts with "s" such as security. If you have more than 1 program that starts with "s", such as stock manager, type "st". This works great. It also works within programs when you have a long list such as when looking through your midi ringtones.
  10. MGM
    You can page up and down quickly in some apps by holding down the solid silver key (function ?) and up/down on the 5-way.
    In the calendar at least, this also works with left/right on the 5-way in some places.
    Quote Originally Posted by andy.e
    Option-p changes the brightness of the screen to bright or dim, based on your current setting. Useful if you like to keep your screen dimmed but need to brighten it when you walk outside (no comment on the percentage of people on this board who don't get outside very much).
    Actually, option+p could have been implemented a LOT better, because it really only dims the screen. If you already have your screen set to the lowest possible brightness setting in the display preferences, it does nothing! And if you have it set somewhere above the lowest setting, option+p will only dim or brighten the screen between the lowest possible setting and your current setting. Plus, whenever you turn on the Treo, the screen is reset back to your preferences setting. There's no way to keep the screen dim unless you specifically set it that way in display preferences, but if you do that, there's no easy way to make the screen bright.

Fortunately, installing a third-party profile application like Profeo 600 Lite actually fixes this problem. You can set Profeo to enable "night" mode (the dimmest screen setting) every time you turn your Treo on. Then in the Treo's display preferences, you can crank up the screen to its brightest setting. This way, for normal indoor use, the screen is always dimmed, saving battery power; then, whenever you're outside, you can do the option+p key combination to instantly brighten the screen to its highest setting.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.
    Actually, option+p could have been implemented a LOT better, because it really only dims the screen.
    It doesn't just dim the screen. It also lights the keyboard, and keeps the keyboard light on. I use ZLauncher, so the actual brightness settings are one click away, if I need them, which I rarely do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland216
    Webslappy mentioned this already. Great info, too....

Also, if you haven't already done so, you can add the little Easter egg in the Prefs app under General by drawing a little counterclockwise circle in the bottom right corner. This will cause a random yellow taxi to go accross the screen - when you least expect it. (I've seen two so far in the past 6 months.)
    I tried the easter egg thing and got a little egg icon in the bottom right corner alright. When I tapped it, the Treo performed a soft reset!
    Now it will not go away. I installed the Sprint 1.2 upgrade, so perhaps it has something to do with that.
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
    One feature that I found to be very handy the opt-return key button acts the same as the "OK" icon. I remember reading this is in the manual after I discovered it while experimenting, but it was a small blurb.
    When setting the time for an alarm, for example, I just use the 5-way button to navigate through the hour and minute, then hit opt-return to set the time. It's also very handy with Pocket Quicken.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    It doesn't just dim the screen. It also lights the keyboard, and keeps the keyboard light on. I use ZLauncher, so the actual brightness settings are one click away, if I need them, which I rarely do.
    Sorry if it wasn't obvious, but I was specifically addressing the effect option+p has on screen brightness.

When you're outdoors, it's often difficult to see your screen clearly unless the brightness is turned all the way up. Out of the box, though, the Treo offers no easy way to temporarily brighten the screen; option+p only allows you to dim it.

Most people, I think, wouldn't want their display preferences set to the brightest possible setting because it's just too bright for normal use and it wastes battery power. Personally, I find the "night" mode setting (the dimmest display setting which is temporarily invoked when you do an option+p under normal conditions) just fine for normal, indoor use. But, if you set your brightness all the way down like that, option+p will do absolutely nothing for the screen and you'll be forced to go into your display preferences to brighten it. Yes, as you mentioned, you can set up ZLauncher so that your brightness settings are accessible directly from its interface, but then you'd have to switch to the launcher, then fiddle with the settings themselves whenever you want to change the screen's brightness. Using a profiles application, you can set your device so that "night" mode is the default setting (i.e., the screen is at its dimmest setting whenever you turn it on), and option+p will instantly brighten the screen to its highest setting, for outdoor use. Another option+p will dim it again. It will basically reverse the way option+p normally works--brightening the screen instead of dimming it--which, to me, is much more useful.
    Last edited by j.c.; 06/17/2004 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.
    It will basically reverse the way option+p normally works--brightening the screen instead of dimming it--which, to me, is much more useful.
    Ideally, it would have been nice if the OS was set up so that, in display preferences, if your brightness was set above the 50% mark, option+p would dim the screen to its minimum setting and, if brightness was set below the 50% mark, option+p would brighten the screen to its maximum setting. This way, you wouldn't have a situation where option+p does nothing.
    Here's a tip that really makes me happy with the Treo Portable Keyboard. I love this KB! 4 rows of keys is a must for me since I use the number keys a lot. One thing I didn't like about it is that the space bar is a little too narrow. I popped off the "Applications" key cap, just to the right of the spacebar. Now I don't accidentally hit the Applications key when I'm hitting the spacebar with my right thumb. And I can still press the exposed rubber thingy to get to Applications. That was my only gripe with the PortableKB, now I use it all the time, in meetings, conferences, sending emails, etc. I can type on it as fast as any other normal KB. I'm getting another one, so I can keep one at work.
    The caller ID in my land line is really simplistic and only give the number, I would like to do a find on my treo contacts with the phone number and get the name of the parson how called. I don't know how to do it on my treo or my old m130 for that matter. Do you know how to do that?

Thank you in advance.
  19.    #59  
    On some apps, the backspace key (arrow to left) will act as the delete promt. You still have to comferm, but it's a nice time saver. I tink the photo and SMS app use this, as well as some others. I wish snapper mail did
    Quote Originally Posted by mharpen
    Here's a tip that really makes me happy with the Treo Portable Keyboard. I love this KB! 4 rows of keys is a must for me since I use the number keys a lot. One thing I didn't like about it is that the space bar is a little too narrow. I popped off the "Applications" key cap, just to the right of the spacebar. Now I don't accidentally hit the Applications key when I'm hitting the spacebar with my right thumb. And I can still press the exposed rubber thingy to get to Applications. That was my only gripe with the PortableKB, now I use it all the time, in meetings, conferences, sending emails, etc. I can type on it as fast as any other normal KB. I'm getting another one, so I can keep one at work.
    I take mine to work in the breast pocket of my jacket.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast