1.    #1  
    First post - a newbie (but not nieve)

Had the usual issues sending outgoing mail thru comcast smtp - read that I actually couldn;t do that so tried to do it through sprint's smtp.

Eventually talked to a tech rep who said that I needed to install Eudora onto my home PC as well as onto my Treo - and would have to use Sprint's POP incoming in order to send via sprint's smtp (this sounded wrong but she insisted it was true). She said that I'd have to then set up mail forwarding from all my various pop accounts to receive emails (yahoo, comcast etc.)

Any alternative suggestions? All I iwant is to be able to have incoming pop from Comcast (works fine now) and send outgoing via smtp (not necessarily sprint's at this point)

jsg
  2. afr
    Total fiction on your phone rep's part. I use both VersaMail and the new TreoMail to send e-mail via Sprint's SMTP server. Couldn't be easier. You do have to remember to set the SSL on when you use smtp.sprintpcs.com.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply -

I did have ssl checked, it seems to time out when sending.

Is there a setup on the sprint side (i.e. sign up for their mail program?). Whenever I try to sign up for pcs mail I get a browser with a blank white page - the rep told me this was because I did not have Eudora installed on my desktop (again fiction?)

jsg
    Double and triple check your sprint pcs email password, which is different than your Vision password or your sprintpcs.com password. I called Vision tech support and had them change my email password while I waited to make sure I had the right one, then punched that in to the Mail program and it worked fine. I do NOT has SSL checked...
    I don't think I have my SSL checked either. Can you at least check the email? You just can't send, correct?
    Are you using " smtp.sprintpcs.com " as the server?
    Oh yea, can you check your Sprint account with your email cleint? If not, I be your not setup yet (Like EF said). You have to log onto the SprintPCS site (www.SprintPCS.com)with a PC and your cell number, go to the email area (think it's called "PCSmail" and it's on the middle right), and even though you can see it there, your password is not set. So go to settings, right above the Inbox you will see it (not the one on the far left). YOu have to pic a 6letter password. Even if your account pasword is 6 or more, you still have to set it up. Try your account password if it's 6 digits long, if not, make a new one up with 6 or more digits and it will be your email password. use this one for the smtp.sprintpcs.com and pop.sprintpcs.com server.

Get your SPrintPCS email working on your treo first, for a base line, then we will takle your comcast one.

Good luck, Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen
    Eventually talked to a tech rep who said that I needed to install Eudora onto my home PC as well as onto my Treo
    Will they ever learn? I was told this back in...hmmm...November that I had to use Eudora in order to check my e-mail.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  7. afr
    I have never used Eudora on any machine I've owned. I can check Sprint mail anytime I want. Eudora has nothing to do with Sprint's e-mail system. It is a web site, accessible by any browser. As for the Treo, using VersaMail I access Sprint's e-mail easily. Here are my settings:

E-mail address: User ID assigned by Sprint when I signed up for my service. I have no idea if there is a level of service provided to Treo users that doesn't come with a SprintPCS mailbox, but perhaps this is the problem jsgreen is having.
    Password: The password to the SprintPCS account. Watch out: there are several passwords that Sprint allows you to set up. This is the main password for the PCS account.
    Incoming mail server: pop.sprintpcs.com
    Outgoing mail server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    SSL: not required (sorry -- I had this mixed up with my AT&T settings)
    Advanced outgoing options: ESMTP required set to YES.
    Username: Same as provided above
    Password: Same as provided above.

This setup in VersaMail 2.5 will access the SprintPCS POP3 server, and will allow you to e-mail messages from your Treo.

Basically I use this setup for my AT&T POP3 service as well (except that AT&T as previously mentioned requires SSL to be set). I also use the Treo to access my GroupWise IMAP corporate service. In all cases (SprintPCS, AT&T, and GroupWise), I use SprintPCS's SMTP server to send mail from my Treo.

Eudora does not raise it's ugly head anywhere.

Also, when I want to access any of these e-mail accounts from my Eudora-free desktop, I can do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I don't think I have my SSL checked either. Can you at least check the email? You just can't send, correct?
    Are you using " smtp.sprintpcs.com " as the server?
    Oh yea, can you check your Sprint account with your email cleint? If not, I be your not setup yet (Like EF said). You have to log onto the SprintPCS site (www.SprintPCS.com)with a PC and your cell number, go to the email area (think it's called "PCSmail" and it's on the middle right), and even though you can see it there, your password is not set. So go to settings, right above the Inbox you will see it (not the one on the far left). YOu have to pic a 6letter password. Even if your account pasword is 6 or more, you still have to set it up. Try your account password if it's 6 digits long, if not, make a new one up with 6 or more digits and it will be your email password. use this one for the smtp.sprintpcs.com and pop.sprintpcs.com server.

Get your SPrintPCS email working on your treo first, for a base line, then we will takle your comcast one.

Good luck, Matt

Matt, thanks for laying it out so clearly. I fanlly got my mail to work. Damn Sprint anyway for making it so convoluted. Appreciate your help.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  9.    #9  
    I think my problem is in having a propoer sprint pcs mail account - I can't seem to actually sign up for one on the web site.

1) I log into sprintpcs.com,
    2) click on PCS Mail (lower right in the "My Online Tools" box,
    3) Get a blank window specifically prompting me for my PCS Vision password at the bottom (easy to miss this)
    4) Enter my vision password
    5) immediately get redirected to a sign up screen "Sign up now for wireless webmail"
    6) Click on the link it wants me to (Sign up now)
    7) This takes me back to the home screen I get to after I logged in in step 1

So I've gone in a virtual circle...and still can't send mail.
  10.    #10  
    I should have noted - as afr thought it might be my plan.

I have an older usage plan ($85 for 2000 shared minutes) plus a new PCS Vision picturemail plan I added last week when I bought the Treo 600.

Also odd - I have gotten sms msgs sent to me from me (from [mynumber]@sprintpcs.com) - seems to be related to sending picturemail...oh, just occurred to me that this might be what happens when I picturemail to an email address that bounces. The content of the sms msgs are empty (so it's like I'm IM'ing to myself but not saying anything).
    No prob woof, glad I could help. I had a friend go to SPrit and they told him that he had to do a HARD RESET....
    I tild him what I told you and in 3min, he had his email working..
    Hard reset.....it's not Windoze you know..LOL

Matt