1.    #1  
    The treo looks like an awesome phone/pda. This is exactly what i want. But with Sprint, if i leave their area and roam, the phone dies right? Not sure if i can handle that. I live in Eugene, OR and if i ever head east or west from the I-5, my phone will die. I know that it wont happen very often but i hate the fact that my phone is a brick if i ever decide to go hiking or fishing. Anyone have this issue here?
    go with someone else then but the phone is the best phone/PDA i have ever had
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Not if you pay $5 for the sprint roaming plan.
  4.    #4  
    I want to go with Sprint because most of my family is using Sprint so i can call them for free($5 a month).
    Randyagent, are you sure that if i pay for the roaming plan that i will be able to use the phone? How will that work if it's a single band phone?
    I see the only solution to this problem is to take a treo 600 fishing with you to see if it gets coverage or not. I think the best way to accomplish this is to fly me out to Oregon, and take me and my Treo with you.

Yeah, there's no analog roam on the treo. I think the analog signal travels better than digital, so if this is important to you, you may want to see if a regular sprint phone picks up the digital signal or not out there, if you don't have access to a treo. That being said, my treo seems to pick up the signal better than other sprint phones in weak-signal areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshull
    I live in Eugene, OR and if i ever head east or west from the I-5, my phone will die.
    See if there is anyone in your area that has the phone or another single band phone with Sprint. You might want to try SprintPCS.HowardForums.com.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    You can also check sprintpcsinfo.com
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    The CDMA (Sprint) version is not single band. It is 800/1900 MHZ and should roam to Verizon's digital network if you have roaming enabled and there is no Sprint Network available. See specs here - http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...8c3322a79ea482
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    JHETZEL is correct. The Treo 300 was single band but the 600 is dual band and can roam digitally. You can activate it or deactivate it in the phone preferences.
    Also the $5 roaming option is $10 in areas where Sprint feels you will be doing more roaming. I live in eastern washington state and roaming is $10 here because it doesnt take much to go off the sprint network.

Also Marshull, how is talking to other sprint customers free if it costs you $5 a month?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I suspect the original posting meant to say that Treo 600 is single mode - digital only. Out in the boonies, analog is the only option to get coverage. Most Treo 600 users are probably city slickers or suburbanites.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I live in Portland and travel the state a lot. The Sprint coverage (roaming) is pretty good. I was just in Lakeview (a long way from anywhere) and had a good strong signal. Most of the way there I had service and there is non-roaming Sprint service in and around Bend now, also in Tillamook. The Oregon coast is a little spotty, but seems to get better every time I go.

Pull the trigger, get the Treo and pay for the roaming.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think you might be pleasantly surprised at just how much digital roaming is out there. There are a lot of small CDMA carriers in rural areas, not to mention Verizon.
    Coming from T-Mobile to the Sprint Treo600, my coverage area has easily doubled thanks to roaming - despite the fact that the Treo is digital only.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Also Marshull, how is talking to other sprint customers free if it costs you $5 a month?
    I think he meant virtually free. $5 a month gets you unlimited Sprint-to-Sprint minutes.

ERic
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Don't forget that data doesn't work when you roam to Verizon. That was a killer for me.
  16. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I live in Eastern North Carolina and have always had a dual mode phone - currently a StarTAC that I have had for 5 years. My current provider is US Cellular. I want to switch to Sprint and get the new Treo 610/660/Ace but am concerned that without analog coverage I might have a lot of areas with no service. My present phone switches to analog quite often. I have never tried a digital only phone in my area. Is there anyone out there in a like circumstance that can shed some light on whether this is a real or imagined problem?
    the sprint treo 600 is dual band and for $5 extra per month you can roam to any other digital network, but not analog, so it's better than nextel.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    I live in Eastern North Carolina and have always had a dual mode phone - currently a StarTAC that I have had for 5 years. My current provider is US Cellular. I want to switch to Sprint and get the new Treo 610/660/Ace but am concerned that without analog coverage I might have a lot of areas with no service. My present phone switches to analog quite often. I have never tried a digital only phone in my area. Is there anyone out there in a like circumstance that can shed some light on whether this is a real or imagined problem?
    I live in NE Georgia and am a Cingular customer. I had a GAIT phone and Nationwide GAIT plan. The GAIT phone (Nokia 3240i) is a triband phone, GSM TDMA & analog. This phone served me well but was did not have all the features I wanted. So.....I bought a Treo 600 and now have a Nationwide GSM plan. I have found that the coverage is not as good at the GAIT plan, particularly in less urban areas. The T600 does roam to other carrier's GSM networks when the Cingular signal is not present but even with that the coverage was not as good as with the GAIT phone. So, I traded coverage for features and functionality...all in all I have happy with my decision (until I can't get ANY signal...LOL)