Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    We currently have seven users with Treo 600's across T-Mobile and Sprint. We have been trialing GoodLink from Good Technologies and I thought I would share some initial impressions. We have not made a final decision yet as to whether we will keep it.

We use Exchange 2000 and have the GoodLink server at a remote office connected to the Exchange server via a VPN.

Pros:
    Calendar always up-to date is great, including being able to accept and reject invites
    Very quick email (sometime faster then on desktop)
    Nice to not to have to sync
    Nice to be able to search for contact by company (without having to use global search)
    Ability to view attachments (including PDF) as text
    Multiple notification options
    Ability to look-up names in GAL
    All Outlook functions are constantly sync'd

Cons:
    Reduces battery life
    Delay in searching for a name from home screen (sometimes only first letter is registered)
    Can not look-up a contact details (not dial) from home screen
    Calendar views not as good a Palm apps
    Can not view attachments in native format (working on this with Good)
    Can not send contact information via email
    Can not beam a contact
    Cost (approx $27.50/user/month)
    Ties-up data path (more of an issue for Sprint users who go to VM when Good is communication - GSM is not a real problem)
    Eats up device RAM
    Difficulty dismissing or snoozing alert - especially when the keyguard is in place
    No conditional notification (ie: you can tell SnapperMail to only notify you of messages between x:xxAM and y:yyPM)
    Cannot forward meeting invites to other people
    Cannot use third party spell checker (requires /K)
    Cannot add attachments to an email
    Disables address book for other applications (i.e. Snappermail)

Overall the Pros may outweigh the Cons. I have to say if I had not used my Treo prior to installing Good I would probably be very happy. The problem is that I used my T600 for quite some time before installing Good so I got used to the native interface for contacts and calendar which I like. Good has some interface work to do there.

Good also needs to do some work on documentation and the install process as it is very 'clunky'.

Bottom line:
    If the price was $10/user/mo it would be a no brainier, but as around $27/user/mo it will make me think hard considering the shortcomings I see.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

-David
    "The problem is that I used my T600 for quite some time before installing Good so I got used to the native interface for contacts and calendar which I like."

You can actually re-enable your Treo contact and calendar applications pretty easily. You just delete that actual Good Address and Good Calendar files. You will still be able to access Good Address and Calendar from the main Good menu, which can be a pain if you are used to getting directly to them from buttons, but now you will have your Treo contact and calendar applications back.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dari10
    You can actually re-enable your Treo contact and calendar applications pretty easily. You just delete that actual Good Address and Good Calendar files. You will still be able to access Good Address and Calendar from the main Good menu, which can be a pain if you are used to getting directly to them from buttons, but now you will have your Treo contact and calendar applications back.
    Yes, but I believe that the data will not be sync'd in those apps. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    -d
    No, it fully syncs all the palm db's. You actually have to delete the "native" Date Book.prc from memory as that really is Good's overlay to the Palm app which is in ROM.
    Once done, full functionality is restored.
    What do you mean by deleting the "Native" date book.prc from memory?
    I cannot access the "alt" mode (on the 0 key) from my Treo with GoodLink. As a result, I can't make a number of special characters.

It would appear that the GoodLink software has disabled the "alt" button - all I get is a zero. Is there another way to access the characters that require "alt"?
    Option and Spacebar brings us some additional characters to choose from. GoodLink does not appear to support all the Palm OS extended character set which is just as well since these characters are not part of ASCII and would not be sent via email anyhow.

Option+Spacebar reveals these characters: ; _ {}<>[]\=^|~% and '

I like GoodLink myself. It is very fast and relatively easy to use. I felt it compromised my usability at first because I was used to the regular Treo PIM apps. but I quickly got used to it. Good does have a way to go in terms of some key issues:

1. Why does the backlight on the keyboard not activate at night just like every other Treo application - this is very annoying at night.
    2. Outbound attachments - I use a POP3 account as a backup in case I have to send something out. C'mon guys.
    3. Do a better job on the Help screens - the info is useful but it's not very usable. Make it HTML or a little application. A scrollable window is clunky.
    4. Reminders seem to pop up after the fact for events. This seems odd to me although Outlook is guilty of this too. Once the event is past-tense don't remind me anymore.
    5. I agree with the top posting - have the option to turn on or off alerts based on a schedule.
    6. Add support for dialing extensions in a smart way - e.g. if a number is listed as 312 3451234 x1234, then dial 3123451234 but setup 1234 as Extra digits automatically so you can simply tap the Extra digits button to dial the extension.
    Thanks for your help - I found the special characters and, I agree, they are the ones that are normally used.

Interestingly, since my first post, I did find that the "alt" key works when accessing the web.

Thanks again.
    Does anyone know when Goodlink will provide their next update?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Supposedly the 3.5 update is slated for September some time.
    I have Goodlink at the Office for several days now and like it a lot. But prior to that I used to hotsync with my home computer as well as my office computer as a way to keep my Outlook Calendar, address book etc up to date at home. I am afraid that if I hotsync now that Goodlink is running on my Treo that it will screw up my home outlook and who nows what else. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I synch at home and at the office...works fine no problems....

Just back up your outlook files and go for it
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessop
    Supposedly the 3.5 update is slated for September some time.

Has anyone heard anything recently with regard to this? I checked the site and saw nothing new as of yet.
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    the next release is very, very soon
    Version 3.7 is out there. I installed it yesterday
    Whats the major difference with the new upgades?
    Quote Originally Posted by dado96
    Whats the major difference with the new upgades?
    Lots of differences. The whole UI is changed. Moreover, the code has been re-written as "native ARM code" which means that it is quite a bit snappier, especially in operations like "search".

That said, it still cannot beam business cards. Nor can you send outgoing emails with attachments.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_fanatic
    Nor can you send outgoing emails with attachments.
    Unfortunately, that's what I was hoping for.
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    Version 3.7 is out there. I installed it yesterday
    How did you install it? Can it be done through the Palm Desktop or do I have to go through our IT peeps and have it configured off the Good server? Speaking of which, can I upgrade without upgrading the server?

Good 3.7

Edit:

I think I just found the answer to my last question... from the Installation Notes:

"If you are upgrading from GoodLink 3.0 or 3.0.2 to 3.7, you MUST upgrade both GoodLink Management Server and GoodLink Management Console (which can be run remotely from the GoodLink Management Server) to version 3.7. Version mismatch between GoodLink Management Server and GoodLink Management Console will prevent GoodLink Management Console to log on to the Server."

Goodlink Release Notes
    Last edited by JudBaird; 10/06/2004 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudBaird
    How did you install it? Can it be done through the Palm Desktop or do I have to go through our IT peeps and have it configured off the Good server? Speaking of which, can I upgrade without upgrading the server?

Good 3.7

Edit:

I think I just found the answer to my last question... from the Installation Notes:

"If you are upgrading from GoodLink 3.0 or 3.0.2 to 3.7, you MUST upgrade both GoodLink Management Server and GoodLink Management Console (which can be run remotely from the GoodLink Management Server) to version 3.7. Version mismatch between GoodLink Management Server and GoodLink Management Console will prevent GoodLink Management Console to log on to the Server."

Goodlink Release Notes

This is only relevant for the server. You can update the client on your own, and it is compatible with what your server probably does.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast