Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    but your IT people can see what version you are runnin and they CAN disable you from the server to be carefull. At least that is what my company is doing.
    So I can run 3.7 on my treo even if our server is on 3.X?

Thanks

Cipro
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipro
    So I can run 3.7 on my treo even if our server is on 3.X?

Thanks

Cipro
    Ask your IT to confirm, but it works just fine for me.
    Another issue that I've noticed with this upgrade, at least for CDMA users, is that when you work offline, it doesn't shutdown the data connection. It just shuts down the goodlink software. on my vzw phone I'll tend to miss at least half of my calls because the datapath is in use. With the old software, it completely disconnected you.
    dado96:

So do you consider this to now be an improvment?
    nope, I say its a disadvantage. I would stick with the old version as long as possible. I would downgrade, but just dont have the time to sit there and go through it all. I've also noticed the new version is more of a memory hog, and you still can't run items off your SD card, or at least move them off.
    wow thats too bad....the folks at good have seemed to use pretty good logic with most of the changes they make.

Have you contacted good directly to voice your concern? I have had good results in the past and have even seen some of my requests make it into features on the old 2.X goodlink.

Cip
  8. OJM
    My firm recently switched from BBerry to Goodlink. As a T600 owner, I was initially ecstatic. Now I am not so sure that Good is any better than Biz Connect. My biggest complaint is the memory that Goodlink eats up. It has to be near 10mb (v. 3.7.0.34). I have deleted just about every unecessary (albeit useful) program off my Treo and still only have 1.7 mb free! I cannot even run MMPlayer anymore due to this lack of free space.

I know that Goodlink won't run off of my 1GB SD card. Any other solutions to this space hog issue? For instance, can any of the Good prc programs be deleted without losing functionality? Good should have really considered file size when designing this program. You can't fit any other programs when running Good. I might as well switch to a miserable B'Berry if I can't use the other palm programs I have grown to love. Any suggestions???
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    I also use Good, and you are right. Initially it was around 6-7 MB but if you let the messages fill up, you could get up to 9 or 10 MB (you must have north of 700 messages I am guessing).
    That being said, I have moved many of my apps to SD using PowerRun and it's fine. I always have about 5.6 MB free and I have literally dozens of applications, including some huge medical pharmacopias.
    The only negative is the start up time of an application could be a few seconds, but once it opens, there is no difference. You should use PowerRun to free up enough space to leave yourself with around 5 MB free.

PalmLover
    Good really needs to get their act together, I have voiced my concerns to them and I just feel like they dont listen. They say they have a superior product to RIM, but RIM honestly doesn't have these little dumb issues. If this is going to run on a palm device Good should of thought of at least letting us put the mail on the SD card.
    Does anyone know if Goodlink 3.8.0.18 (version that was released for the new Treo 650) fixes any of the above issues?

Right now, I am hotsyncing with an Outlook PST file on my laptop. However, my company has a Goodlink server running and I am getting ready to move my data from the PST to the Exchange 2003 server and install the client software on my handheld as soon as I receive my SD card. First, it looks like I will need to install one of shadowmite's "smaller" ROMs. Any other suggestions? Has anyone done this yet?
    I recently moved from a 600 with Good 3.7 to a 650 with 3.8. I honestly don't remember having people directly routed to voicemail when Good was offline, although it did happen once when Good happened to have the data connection open just when someone called. It seems to keep the data ops quick, so it seems to be rare and only when the timing is just perfect. Otherwise, it's been working just fine.

I did notice that with 3.7 it wouldn't always restablish a sync when you went back online. Typically, I had to soft reset to get the sync alive again. I don't have that problem with 3.8 and since I have TreoGuard stopping/starting the radio every night/morning, it gets tested daily. In terms of UI, there doesn't seem to be any difference between 3.7 and 3.8 (as you would expect).

However, in terms of memory footprint, I've found something extremely odd with 3.8. With 3.7 on the 600, the Good apps took a total of 8.3M of which 5.3M was in the GoodStore database (rough equivalent of an Outlook pst file). With 3.8, there are fewer files (most of the small app prefs files are gone) as seen by zLauncher's file manager, but most significantly, it seems to only take 2.1M. I know this can't be true, but cannot find the GoodStore db and have confirmed it's not marked hidden. Yet, I have all 1600 contacts, 100 or so Tasks, 44 notes, and >100 emails - same as on the 600. Obviously that data is somewhere, but I can't seem to find the db file. Can anyone corroborate or explain this?

My only guess is that 3.8 is some kind of "4.0 preview" (since 4.0 is due out this quarter) and they made drastic changes to the storage scheme. That's only a guess though.
    Awesome tomvb2000 - thanks for the great review. I am still waiting for my free 128MB SD card... but it should be here shortly. Once I have it, I will nevertheless install a smaller ROM with only my needed apps and go for Goodlink 3.8. I am also using Zlauncher so I am glad you have not experienced any conflicts...

I'll post back with my experiences.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    GoodLink 3.8 was specifically designed with the Palm engineers to accommodate the different file system on the Treo 650. GoodLink "should not" have the same memory issues and people are supposedly reporting. Personally I had on my Treo 650 GoodLink 3.8, Docs to Go, Acid Image, and Pocket Tunes and several other's installed as well and still had 6MB left. And before i moved to the 650 I had a 600 and I also had about 6mb left. So I'm not using more memory then when I had the 600. Also GoodLink does not support putting the apps on the SD card.
    Last edited by Jessop; 01/18/2005 at 06:26 AM.
    I have to say that I think the whole 650 memory issue was a little blown out of proportion. At first, I thought it'd be impossible to have 8M of Good plus all my other apps on the 650 with NVFS, but it turns out Good 3.8 has a smaller footprint and NVFS didn't cause that big a problem. Yes, PalmOne made a mistake in not increasing the memory to account for the NVFS inefficiency, but it hasn't been a major problem for me. Ref the post at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=182 for my experiences.
    What's the best way to upgrade the client yourself? Just install the PRCs or do you need to install the management console on your computer?
    I didn't need to install the mgmt console, but I think you do have to use the GoodLink desktop installer and follow it thoroughly. I've tried to just unzip and install the prcs, but that doesn't seem to always work well.

I believe the 3.8 release notes indicate it's specifically for the Treo650, so I'm not sure you can run it on a 600 (and I haven't tried). One other thing to note is if you change phones, your GoodLink account (on their server) needs to be updated with the new ESN number.
    The 650's require 3.8, the 600's require 3.7. Full over the air provisioning will be available in 4.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessop
    GoodLink 3.8 was specifically designed with the Palm engineers to accommodate the different file system on the Treo 650. GoodLink "should not" have the same memory issues and people are supposedly reporting. Personally I had on my Treo 650 GoodLink 3.8, Docs to Go, Acid Image, and Pocket Tunes and several other's installed as well and still had 6MB left. And before i moved to the 650 I had a 600 and I also had about 6mb left. So I'm not using more memory then when I had the 600. Also GoodLink does not support putting the apps on the SD card.
    Jessop,

Just curious, but do you have any more details on the implementation? Did they do a major overhaul of the storage system to be more efficient or is the memory footprint somehow hidden from FileManager/Filez (doubtful). Without uninstalling/reinstalling, I can't tell for sure how much memory Good is taking. A hard reset/reinstall is beyond by level of curiosity.
    I probably did not have to do this as stated above but did it anyway...

I installed shadowmite's custom ROM # 5.
    Then, installed Goodlink 3.8.1.4 and all worked like a charm and I have plenty of room left. I still installed SnapperMail (I have the no-longer-available lifetime upgrades enterprise license) for my POP accounts. So, I basically have access to all my email accounts on my Treo 650. It is fantastic to have all my Outlook notes, contacts, calendar, tasks and email wirelessly synchronized at all times! Been using it for about a week now with no problem.

One thing though - I was hoping the Goodlink software would be more "power-user" oriented. I mean, it's pretty basic as far as a PIM is concerned. I can't even search my notes by keyword and there are many features a la datebk5 I wish Goodlink had.

Anyway, I called Goodlink and they do have some future feature requests in the works which will address this. So, it can only get better with time as their product matures. And... this is WAY better than Blackberry!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast