1.    #1  
    Best Buy has the Treo 600 on sale for $399.00.
    After rebates? No better than treocentral.
    Is it for Sprint CDMA phone only? Any contract required? Is the phone unlocked? Anyone got info on GSM unlocked Treo sold by BestBuy??
    Bumping this. Anyone know more details?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Website says $399.. says to contact store for more info. With rebates, you could theoretically get one for $249!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yes...you can get it for $249 after rebates....i was surprised other people didn't jump on this back in december when amazon offered treo for 299 after $300 or so in rebates... i tried pricematching, they said they couldn't, but they do in store activation (got $150 off) then i sent in the rebate and 4 weeks later i got a check (150)...although...don't go asking at best buy about this!! otherwise they'll be on to the plan..but if they do in fact offer $150 off at register and sprint is still offering 150 off for new customers...it should work (thanks to dumb people at best buy who cant tell you the difference between ram or hard drive space...which reminds me of the time i asked about getting 512 megs ram and he tried selling me a 120 gb hard drive telling me it would increase my memory by 200 fold)
    sledgie
    I just called two Best Buys. Both of the people I spoke with said that the $399 price was only for new Sprint customers with a 2-year plan. Otherwise, the price was $550.

Scott
    Does BestBuy sell GSM Treo600 for $550 too? if they do, then it is still cheaper than the $699 that palmone is charging.
    buy.com seems to have the sprint for 379 and the cingular version for 349 ...

this recent price reduction may indicate a new model coming out soon ... but who knows
    I'm seeing a price of $449 on Buy.com for the Sprint Treo 600 with an additional $50 "customer appreciation rebate" bringing it down to $399. Where do you see $379?

Also, can anyone who's bought from Buy.com clarify how this works? The details seem very unclear to me. It sounds like you have to sign up for a new service plan to get this price, but it doesn't seem to indicate that you need to lock in for any period of time. Could I get this for $399 (after their rebates) and then get an additional $100 off direct from Sprint for locking in for a year or is the $399 price as low as I'd get it from them?

As for Best Buy, I'm still curious to hear if anyone else has gotten differing information from what I was told. Again, they told me that the price was $550 without a contract, $400 with a two-year commitment (and, I'd imagine, $450 with just a one-year commitment).

Best Buy has a 10% off printable coupon here:
    http://www.postpublisher.net/h/bestb...2/Coupon2d.pdf

Reading the fine print, it doesn't look like the Treo 600 is excluded, so that's good.

Scott
    Hmm...Looks like I'll be avoiding Buy.com. I just tried adding the phone to my cart to see what happened and it forces you to select a plan (process handled by InPhonic). No problem there, except that you can't choose a family plan and, more importantly, all of the plan options are for 2-year contracts. What?!? The one-year contract should be available for $50 more, no? I sure hope Sprint hasn't changed to 2-year-contracts only. I'd never buy into that nonsense.

Scott
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    As for GSM Treos @ BestBuy, I believe they have little mini sprint hubs in there, so they sell only Sprint or CDMA phones (can't remember if virgin or tmobile was also there)- I've never seen the Treo 600 GSM at Best Buy. As for price, i'm sure Best Buy would only sell it for $550 or may even BUMP the price up to $600 for a gsm - other outlets I've seen who sell GSM and Sprint do that - the Sprint is slightly cheaper or else GSM doesn't have rebates, something to that effect.
    As for Buy.com - I believe through them you wouldn't get any more off your Sprint phone - The BB deal is almost a "technical" error - when they credit your Sprint price at the register it also prints out a 150 rebate FORM, which is attached to the receipt. So, for instance (and yes, i signed up for 2 years and got the $150 deal, otherwise i believe it's only $100 - which means $100 from best buy and $100 from sprint) you would get $550-$150=$400+tax at register and then send in the receipt to Sprint will info printed out and they send you a check approximately 4 weeks later. They have a website which also updates you through your sprint email account (which is nicely sent to your treo) when they received your rebate form - the rebate status - and when the check is sent out. The best part about the Best Buy / Sprint deal is you have 14 days (i think it might even be 15, although if my information is faulty please correct me someone) to keep the contract/deal/phone. So basically, if you find out the service doesn't work well, you can take it back and get it credited (BB does not rebate cash on orders over $150 so be prepared even if you pay by cash to either receive a check in the mail or credit back on your card). Or of course, if the receipt does not include a rebate (you'll notice immediately after walking out) you can um...make a decision. You'll have a receipt, and a "rebate receipt" stapled to the back of it, with sprint's address and lines to fill out. It tells you whether to include a copy of receipt and original rebate receipt. If hard pressed, I could find my receipt for anyone and tell you what it says. Hope you make out on the deal, I learned this treo 600 was one of the BEST decisions I ever made due to the price at which I got it. When I felt my treo in my hand after I received my check 4 weeks later I was glad I did not pay full price at Amazon only to have my order delayed and delayed again (like so many people) not to mention, they RAISED the price on the treo at Amazon - $699! I definitely lucked out.
    Good luck, although don't be upset if in 2 months (6 months in Soap Opera/Sprint Time) a new Treo comes out with better resolution or camera or battery life.
    sledgie

"The Treo doesn't do anything perfectly but it does do a lot of things well "

**** after reading receipt ****

I just checked Best Buy- they have the same deal they did in December when I bought this. it's actually $200 off their $599 price (with a contract)
    Now, i'm not sure if it's less that $200 off if you only get 1 year, but, Best Buy will give you $200 off at the register, so you are getting the phone for $399 + tax. I was mistaken when I said mine was $550 - it was actually $599-instant Best Buy rebate $50 - Contract signup rebate $150 (2 years).
    If they do the same thing for 1 year (meaning only $100 back) then i'm guessing best buy will only offer $150 off the $599 price and then $100 back from sprint.
    As for the coupon - i'm almost POsITIVE it won't work because what they consider "wireless phones" in the coupon is actually just cordless - they describe cellular phones as cellular and pay as you go phones - and pay as you go are exempted from the coupon. Although it's worth a try! Act bewildered and stupid and then INSIST you just came from work 2 hours away and if they can't honor the 10% off coupon then you will take your business elsewhere. PS when they told me they couldn't pricematch Amazon, I said, well can you give me anything like maybe ac adaptor for the car or earphones? Otherwise i'll just buy it from Amazon ...but i'd rather give you guys my money instead of a monopoly like Amazon."She gave me a free car adaptor (which is actually an ac OUTLET so i can use my notebook in there or other devices) and %10 off a 256 memory card. I had to find a car adapter at that time though, because they had no other handspring / palm appliances ("it's so new, we have nothing to compliment this" she exclaimed) so you might have to look through the store for something small and see if she'll "give up the goods".YMMV. Good luck
    Last edited by sledgie; 06/10/2004 at 11:28 AM. Reason: correction on receipt
    I'm fairly certain that most places when referring to "wireless" are talking about cellular phones. Otherwise, they use the term "cordless." Plus, as you said, the 10% off coupon specifically excludes pay-as-you go which they wouldn't need to bother pointing out if their "wireless" meant "cordless."

In any case, I'm still confused by some of what you said. Are you saying that I would get a $100-150 "instant-rebate" at the register at BB by opting for a one/two year agreement but would then ALSO get another $100-150 from Sprint for a one/two year agreement? That doesn't sound right.

Someone please confirm, because that might sway me to go for it.

Scott
    Just looked at the 10% off coupon again. It lists "Wireless phones" under the "Entertainment" category and then lists "Cordless phones" under the "More Stuff" category. So this coupon is definitely valid for cell phones and the Treo 600 is not excluded in the fine print. Enjoy!

Now, if someone could just confirm just how cheaply I should be able to get two Treo 600's for from Best Buy with a one-year contract, I shall be happy. They list the price as being "on sale" for $400, though the "regular price" is listed as $600. Based on my conversation with them, it sounds like the $400 price is only if you sign a two-year contract. So, if I assume that I can get it with a one-year contract for $50 more, that would be $450. The 10% off coupon would bring it back around $400. So if that's all correct, my only question would be whether I can also get some sort of rebate directly from Sprint. It seems to me that the price adjustment already covers that, but sledgie indicated otherwise.

Anyone?

Scott
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant. You should be able to get more back from Sprint. At the register, they give you your receipt, and rebate form. Rebate goes to Sprint. However, you've already been rebated with $100-150 from Best Buy, but nonetheless it shouldn't matter. As I said before, if you aren't given a rebate at register, and that's the only reason you bought it, then take it back in a few days and get all your money back.
    If the coupon works, congrats! I've never heard of a Best Buy coupon that's 10 % off most merchandise to take 10% off on wireless as well - why you ask? Because those phones aren't usually covered by 10% off unless it's by manufacturer or coverage provider. But as you said, it's worth a shot. And yes, other people on TC have bought from BB and gotten the same $200 off the 599 price and 150 through Sprint in the mail as I did. Of course it doesn't sound right! Which is why a few people here and on other message boards flocked there in Decemeber. But if Sprint isn't offering 150 back right now for new users, it won't work. If Best but is offering $399 for 2 year contract through them, then all you will get is $399 + tax if Sprint isn't offering the same $150 back. Confusing? of course. When is more money in your pocket ever not confusing?