Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I perform a backup on BackupMan am I only backing up my data or am I backing up my data and the the apps? I would hope it's backing up the apps as well so that I can restore everything from the SD card when it crashes or I do a hard reset.

I realize the drop down menu allows me to "restore device", but I want to make sure what "restore device" means.

Tks in advance
    BackupMan backs up the whole ball of wax - you can backup, hard reset, restore from the SD card, and it's just like it never happened. That's the great part - if you're away from your PC and have to hard reset for some reason, you can restore from the last backup vs be 'dead in the water'.

Paul
  3.    #3  
    Tks for the info Paul. You confirmed what I thought and hoped was the case.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    backupman is the absoulte best. As you know TREOS sometimes have a bad habbit of going bad. I impressed the sales weenie at Best BUys one night when We went through 3 treos to find a good one. Each time I would pop my sd card in restore, and test the various known issues.
    I had to restore last night from my sd card and it worked PERFECTLY..........unlike BackupBuddy.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    BackupMan is also great for those times when you have to replace your treo with a new unit. I had my replacement treo up and running in under five minutes, which is a lot faster than it would have been if I had had to restore from a hotsync. Not to mention, I didn't need my computer to do it.

This little program has saved me on far more than one occasion. Well worth the investment.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Does anyone have a chart, or is there a thread which lists the differences between:

Back Up Man
    Botzman Back Up
    Back Up Buddy
    save yourself time-get BackupMan
    Why?

I don't see a real difference between Backup Man and Botzman Backup.

Both offer scheduled back ups. Botzman Back up offers encryption and compression, which I'm not sure Backup Man does.

I've tried them both and really can't agree that one is better than the other.
    Ive used all three, and settled on Botzam Backup. The features that set it apart from BackupMan for me were encryption and differential backups (only backs up files changed since last backup). It has stronger encryption than BackupBuddyVFS (and a plugin architecture for even stronger encryption), and works better with Keygaurd etc. during scheduled backups.

I restored from a hard reset with Botzam Backup and had no problems, even with many hacks etc.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm settled on Botzman too.

I just restored yesterday after I deleted some preferences I shouldn't have with Cleanup and was very pleased with the results. I never noticed the feature about only backing up files that have changed since the last back up. I'll have to look for it. Thanks.
    I use Cardbackup and BackupBuddy together. I've had difficulties with the new BB described here in this thread. CardBackup is truly a life saver. Also JkWare is coming out with a new release of it shortly.
    Backupman is excellent, restores the device to the "actual state" the device was before a hard reset. All software registered, all settings restored and data intact. I used it also when I replaced my last 2 Treos and it worked flawlessly.

It is a lifesaver when you are beta testing, trust me when I say this.
    Boy, I'd love to try that in the store--what a great idea. But how could you just pop in your card on a new Treo? Doesn't Backup Man have to also be installed on the handheld for it to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by jachang
    Boy, I'd love to try that in the store--what a great idea. But how could you just pop in your card on a new Treo? Doesn't Backup Man have to also be installed on the handheld for it to work?
    Nope - that's the beauty of it - backupman installs itself on the SD card and you can run it to restore (only) from the SD card - otherwise it would be worthless after a hard reset, wouldn't it?
    Does Botzam Backup restore exactly like BackupMan? Total state restore of the device at the time of backup? If it is as stable and robust as Backupman, the encryption feature makes it a winner.
    lgreenburg, differential backup is default behaviour.

wmf, yes.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I don't care for VFS because it won't keep multiple backups.

I like Backupman, but no encryption.

I was looking at Botzam and the reviews at Palmgear are pretty bad!

Looks like trying to do a total restore, especially from encrypted backup, is very risky!

Has anyone experienced a total restore from encryption via Botzam, either way (working or not)?
    My best experiances have been with CardBackup (JKWare). It's save my life a bunch of times, the developer is very responsive, and it has all of the features of the others except password encryption, which the author says is around the corner.
    I am a big fan of Backupman. It worked perfectly through a couple of updates that required a hard reset plus a replacement where I was able to have my new Treo completely restored before I left the Sprint store. I have become fearless about hard resets.

The encryption issue is now the one thing I feel is important to have. As a rule, I do not lock my Treo. Like many of us, I have some very sensitive information stored on my precious. I recently installed a neat little program called mSafe. It allows you to send a specially formatted SMS to your Treo that will lock it behind a password. It will also automatically lock it after a soft reset. Unfortunately, I always have an SD card installed and it contains Backupman and my latest backup. So a hard reset will allow anyone to cheerfully restore my Treo before it was locked.

Botzam sounded like the answer. I am testing it now. Alas, the encrypted backup takes 30 minutes! I did do a hard reset and restore and it worked fine, but those reviews on Palmgear are pretty scary.

Sigh. C'mon BitsandBolts, let's give Backupman some encryption!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast