Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Ok, since discovering the wonders of streaming audio I've ordered a headphone adapter and I am planning on doing a lot of streaming in the very near future.

I've got a Sprint PCS phone and I am wondering... Is "unlimited" really unlimited or is there some fine print in there somewhere? I don't want any surprises on my bill.
    Obscura
    There were stories in the past of folks being pinged for quasi-DSL usages. I think they may have stopped hassling people based on the fine print of the Vision terms or service. I have never had an overage issue with a few hours of shoutcast listening a month.

Keep it within reason and I am sure they will leave you alone. Run a web server off it and they may hassle you.
    I think I read awhile back that a gig is the limit per month before they start hassling you.

refer to www.casterclub.com for a bandwidth calculator to figure out how much you can listen. An hour streaming at 30k gives you about 14 megabytes, fyi.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Interesting. I crunched on that and it looks like I can listen around ten hours a day for thirty days before hitting the 1 gig limit. If I throw out the weekends I should be able to safely stay under a gig. :-\

Thanks bisco!
    Obscura
    Any progress on adding a low bit-rate stream to biscoRADIO?
    The "limit" for Sprint is only if you tether your phone to a laptop or PDA. It's technically not allowed so if you abuse it, they'll call you on it. However since the Treo IS the phone, Vision (Sprint's data service) truly is unlimited. Stream data 24/7 if you want, there are no extra charges for fine print.
    Great question. I got the same setup on my end. (Sprint + Treo + Seideo Headset). Now I'm ready to stream 24/7 and wanted to know if there were any true hidden costs.

One question that I do have is, on the Sprint network what is the average bit rate you stream thats solid? I've tried 56k and it cuts out after 2-5 sec. I'd really like to use 56k but 24k seems to be the most solid. Does anybody else have better speeds with streams?
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    Any progress on adding a low bit-rate stream to biscoRADIO?
    The only way that I can add a low bite-rate stream at this point is pretty unstable (bandwidth restrictions on my base stream)... I ran one for a little while after I got my treo but it would need to be reset at least once a day. :-/
    First, while you may be able to stream 24/7 without sprint saying anything, there are no guarantees with sprint. About the bit rate, I typically can use streams that are around 24k or 32k at the most. After that, they seem to cut out here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by marlboro_me
    Great question. I got the same setup on my end. (Sprint + Treo + Seideo Headset). Now I'm ready to stream 24/7 and wanted to know if there were any true hidden costs.

One question that I do have is, on the Sprint network what is the average bit rate you stream thats solid? I've tried 56k and it cuts out after 2-5 sec. I'd really like to use 56k but 24k seems to be the most solid. Does anybody else have better speeds with streams?
    That's interesting that Sprint users are limited to the 24 & 32 kbps Shoutcast stations just like us folks in GSM/GPRS land. I was just reviewing a long thread where Sprint users were testing and noting their Sprint speeds vis-a-vis GPRS speeds. Sprint users were registering avg. speeds in the 70-100 kbps range vs. a 32 kbps avg. for GPRS. I would have thought that these higher data speeds = higher bitrate shoutcast station options (w/o the buffering issues) for Sprint users. Sounds like that's not the case, unless other Sprint users have had a different experience?
    Btw, if you're an up-tempo electronica fan, by far and away the best station I've found is Metro Mix Radio out of NY at 32 kbps.
    100 in and out sms.
    Yesterday, I was able to stream Radio Paradise (Shoutcast) at the 128K MP3 stereo speed. Today, I can only manage the 64K MP3 mono speed without excessive buffering. These speeds are both with the occasional buffering interuptions. I'd say it buffers for a few seconds every 15-20 minutes. It buffers more if I'm actually doing something else on the Treo ( like typing in this reply to TC).

I am using the latest version of PocketTunes Deluxe on a RevC v1.2 PRL 10023 Sprint Treo. I don't know what those speeds are for real. Those are the numbers from the Shoutcast site and they appear on the pTunes screen. It's about like a CD player in your car that skips every now and then when you hit a bump in the road..

My Treo Rocks!
    EdK
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    The speeds that show up are real. I can usually listen to 56kbps streams without excessive buffering and 48kbps streams work well. Yeah, the quality isn't that great, but it's good enough... For talk radio it would be more than adequate.
    Quote Originally Posted by biscoradio
    The speeds that show up are real. I can usually listen to 56kbps streams without excessive buffering and 48kbps streams work well. Yeah, the quality isn't that great, but it's good enough... For talk radio it would be more than adequate.
    Those are great speeds that you guys are mentioning. I wonder if it has to do with phone reception due to your location? I usually get some buffering after I go past a much lower bitrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    That's interesting that Sprint users are limited to the 24 & 32 kbps Shoutcast stations just like us folks in GSM/GPRS land. I was just reviewing a long thread where Sprint users were testing and noting their Sprint speeds vis-a-vis GPRS speeds. Sprint users were registering avg. speeds in the 70-100 kbps range vs. a 32 kbps avg. for GPRS. I would have thought that these higher data speeds = higher bitrate shoutcast station options (w/o the buffering issues) for Sprint users. Sounds like that's not the case, unless other Sprint users have had a different experience?
    That's what I'm confused about. Maybe it has something to do with location. I'm 1/2 mile from downtown Chicago. (Building??) Or maybe, I was also thinking could Sprint monitor usage, because a few times in pTunes it resets my radio signal from Sprint. I wouldn't think it would have anything to due with my Shoutcase station. They provide 24k, 56k and 128k.

BTW - GrooveSalad / SomaFM is the best electonica station. Thanks Rusty!

Oh yeah, my Treo rocks too!
    Is there way to stream audio (such as Shoutcast) without PocketTunes Deluxe ? For example with a free apllication or through Blazer?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    If you live in Houston you can monitor the Houston Police Department Radio via a shoutcast stream. http://69.50.169.23:8000 Enjoy!
    Obscura
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I can stream 64KBPS signals all day. I have not tried anything higher.
    for the last 4 days or so shoutcast is not streaming on S pcs. It keeps buffering every 2 seconds. Is anyone else having this problem?
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast