webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm OS Devices & Apps > Piel Frama belt clip slippage
Piel Frama belt clip slippage

Old 06/08/2004, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Yes the Piel Frama case is great, but the metal knob wears down the clip over time and eventually causes the phone to easily pop up and off the belt clip. Most replacements from stores have a plastic belt clip that wears quickly against the metal knob.

Anyone else having this problem? Any found a work around?
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2004, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Search my name for a thread I started a few months back. I tried unsuccefully to perform a mod. Maybe you can make it work, check out that thread. What I have done in the meantime was only place and remove the phone by pressing down on the 'button' of the clip. That way it never wears down, b/c the metal is never touching the plastic clip.
Advance The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2004, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I only press the button, but still over time movement on the clip causes it to happen. It still hits the clip when you might be bending over, sitting down, sitting and lean to the side and so on.

I actually wish it had a clip like the old Brookstone case I used for my old Treo 300. That was just a piece of metal on the back that fit over your belt. The metal piece was covered in a small piece of leather, but it worked out nice.

Might have to try and make something that works in a similar way. If a metal clip of that type could be broken off some other case, a hole drilled into it and the knob placed through that hole to hold the metal piece in place it would work. That's what I've been thinking, but never had time to try it.
Old 06/11/2004, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take a look at this belt clip from Piel Frama. It looks like this type of belt clip would prevent the problem we have been having. I just wonder if it will fit the knob for our case?

I think I'm going to order one and see. Today 6 Euros equals 7.21013 USD. Which is cheaper than yesterday .
Old 06/11/2004, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

after breaking the knob off of the piel frama case a couple of times, now the knob will not screw back into the case. (when i say couple, i mean after 2 times)

i ordered a krusell and use both.
dpwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2004, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwaters
after breaking the knob off of the piel frama case a couple of times, now the knob will not screw back into the case.
If you "broke" the knob off then how could you possibly screw it back on the first time? For the knob to break off from the case the metal screw would have to break.

Do you mean the knob came out of the hole in the case a couple of times? Not actually "breaking" but coming unscrewed? If that is your problem then you did not scew the knob in tight enough when you first put the knob in. I was initially having issues with the knob on my case getting loose and coming unscrewed from the case. So I used a flat head screw driver to tighten the knob into the hole very tight. It has not come loose again since and that was over 6 months ago. But if your knob will not scew back in then the screw hole is probably stripped from the knob continually coming out. I don't think that can be fixed. Unless you can get a new knob and new screw hole put in the case.
Old 06/11/2004, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell
If you "broke" the knob off then how could you possibly screw it back on the first time? For the knob to break off from the case the metal screw would have to break.

Do you mean the knob came out of the hole in the case a couple of times? Not actually "breaking" but coming unscrewed? If that is your problem then you did not scew the knob in tight enough when you first put the knob in. I was initially having issues with the knob on my case getting loose and coming unscrewed from the case. So I used a flat head screw driver to tighten the knob into the hole very tight. It has not come loose again since and that was over 6 months ago. But if your knob will not scew back in then the screw hole is probably stripped from the knob continually coming out. I don't think that can be fixed. Unless you can get a new knob and new screw hole put in the case.
you are correct. the knob came out of the hole a couple of time even when i used a screw driver to tighten it.
dpwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2004, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well anyone buying the Piel Frama case should know it is a good case, but be sure to use a screwdriver to tighten the knob in very tightly. Good thing mine never got stripped before I used a screwdriver on it.
Old 06/14/2004, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is this belt clip made of plastic or metal? I found that sitting down or bending down forced the phone to wear down the little piece of plastic that holds the phone in the clip.

Does anyone know where to buy metal belt clips? I've looked everywhere on the Internet and can't find anything that gives dimensions. I don't want to keep buying replacement plastic belt clips - I want durability!

Thanks
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell
Take a look at this belt clip from Piel Frama. It looks like this type of belt clip would prevent the problem we have been having. I just wonder if it will fit the knob for our case?

I think I'm going to order one and see. Today 6 Euros equals 7.21013 USD. Which is cheaper than yesterday .
milkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2004, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkor
Is this belt clip made of plastic or metal? I found that sitting down or bending down forced the phone to wear down the little piece of plastic that holds the phone in the clip.

Does anyone know where to buy metal belt clips? I've looked everywhere on the Internet and can't find anything that gives dimensions. I don't want to keep buying replacement plastic belt clips - I want durability!

Thanks
Rob
Exactly my problem. The clip is made of plastic. And any place that sells replacement clips (like Radio Shack) only has plastic ones too.

Usually I'll get a new one and it will work great for a while. But bending or sitting the wrong way in a chair will hit the button slightly while also pushing the phone upward. Causing it to wear the pin in the clip until eventually the thing just pops out all the time. I've already ordered that other belt clip I mentioned. Just waiting for it to get here. The way it is designed it may not cause the same problem, since there are 2 pins in the top of the clip to hold the knob in place. The button would have to be pressed pretty hard. At least that is what I am thinking. I'll have to report how it really works after it finally gets to me.

I'm hoping it is more durable than clips like the one that came with the case. Since it has a different design.

With my Treo 300 I had this Brookstone case. The leather clip on that case had a piece of metal (or something hard) inside that could be easily attached to a belt. It never came off and was a much simplier design. I just wish my case had that kind of clip.

None of these new "fancy" cases has that type of clip like the Brookstone model, but they really should IMHO.
Old 06/24/2004, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

OK, so the belt clip from Piel Frama came in the mail today. Being a different design from the original that came with the case I was not sure the belt clip would fit properly. But I was willing to take my chances with a few buck .

Turns out the knob on the case for the Treo 600 is a little too big for this clip I purchased, but the clip's design is very good. It looks like it would prevent the Treo from popping out. Looks like the clip was made for cases like this one and I'm thinking about filing down the knob on my case to fit. It's really the shaft of the knob that is too big. Looks like the end part of the knob would fit fine if the shaft were slimmer. A little filing work might just do the trick.

Also, although I only ordered 1 they mailed me 2 belt clips. Which was a pretty nice gesture on their part.
Old 06/24/2004, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I exchanged a couple emails with the folks at PF about this issue. They are advising me not to file down my knob since they fear I could damage the case somehow... (Of course I could do the filing after taking the knob out, but whatever...) They said they are looking at developing a new clip that would prevent this issue. For now they do not have any knob for the Treo 600 case that would work with the clip I felt was better. They did offer to send me more of the "standard" belt clips for now though.

Of course they were very sorry to hear about my problem, professional and courteous as they always are. That good customer service after the sale is always impressive .
Old 07/01/2004, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've had that similar problem with the piel frama cases. I've since ordered the Swivel Belt Clip from theclip.com and it is actually a very well constructed clip. it is not as brittle as some of the others available on the market. That's just upon first inspection, I will have to use it for awhile before a long-term decision can be made.
sahverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2004, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

As promised I received the new belt clips from Piel Frama today. They sent me 3 different types. I guess they were not sure which I needed. They also sent me 2 knobs. One knob fits one of the other belt clips that is designed similar to the clip we all already use (but not the same since it has ridges). The 2nd knob sent is for the belt clip we all use, but this new knob is black and just a little smaller and lighter. I tried it on the belt clip I have that is currently slipping and IT DOES NOT SLIP. This new knob appears to be a little better than the previous, but it will take a few months worth of usage to know for certain.

This does show they are doing something about it. I would suggest trying to get one of these new black knobs from Piel Frama.
Old 01/02/2013, 01:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

I had the same problem lately with my piel frama leather case for my Samsung galaxy note. The leather quality is really great but the plastic belt clip experienced weaknesses after the repeated contact with the metal knob. I bought the case less than 3 months ago. I wrote to the piel frama manager on the 21 December and I am still waiting for his answer.
GerardYin is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0