Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. doesn't come stock with useful features like an mp3 player. strong reliance on 3rd party software to improve functionality of t600

2. headphone/headset jack non standard. why? to make more money off the adapter?

3. crappy headset that comes with the unit. obvious reason - so that customers spend more money on a real headset.

4. contact list is rubbish. sorta palm's fault.

what are your pet peeves on the t600?
    nice avatar
    Avatars.... <hrumpphh> I guess, since all the cool kids are doing it.
    After owning a PocketPC Phone Edition, I'm completely spoiled to the PocketPC OS. However I absolutely love the overall design of the Treo600. It's the best device I have owned and even though it's Palm OS, I'll live with it. I was very surprised that Palm has not better developed their software. On PocketPC, the connection back to Windows was so much more seamless in countless ways. URL Shortcuts, Windows Explorer to explore files on the device as if it were another drive, files open and save with standard formats without conversion, Outlook integration was MUCH better. The list just goes on and on. It's a real shame to have to suffer through a much less capable OS just to get a less clunky phone. My signal is better though (significantly). Woe is me. I sure do wish there were a PocketPC Phone with a slimline design comming out but I don't see much on the horizon.
    Previous User of T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, Now Using T-Mobile Treo 600, Firmware v3.05, Software v600-1.12-ROW, Palm OS v5.2.1, Hardware B, Handspring Phone v1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by tivosnoopy
    After owning a PocketPC Phone Edition, I'm completely spoiled to the PocketPC OS. However I absolutely love the overall design of the Treo600. It's the best device I have owned and even though it's Palm OS, I'll live with it. I was very surprised that Palm has not better developed their software. On PocketPC, the connection back to Windows was so much more seamless in countless ways. URL Shortcuts, Windows Explorer to explore files on the device as if it were another drive, files open and save with standard formats without conversion, Outlook integration was MUCH better. The list just goes on and on. It's a real shame to have to suffer through a much less capable OS just to get a less clunky phone. My signal is better though (significantly). Woe is me. I sure do wish there were a PocketPC Phone with a slimline design comming out but I don't see much on the horizon.
    Check this out. It has been posted before but I will re-post for those who haven't seen it. Looks like the closest thing to the Treo 600, I am hoping that it will be out before the end of the year:

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4754.html

http://www.gsmarena.com/index.php3?s...nq_p50-759.php

http://www.phoneyworld.com/handsets/...phone=benq_p50

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=112410

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=27482

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2349.html

Figers crossed-
    my peeves...

Camera - should be at least 1mp
    Screen - should be HiRes
    Contacts - SMS a contact's details directly from the app.

But these are all things that I can live with. The attempt on a seamless convergence device is a good one. It can only get better.

The BenQ does look nice and will certainly pack a punch. Be nice to see the finished product 'when' it comes out...
    www.gsmworld.com
    I prefer that it doesn't come with a stock of apps like Windows. I'm a minority here, but I think it's politically wrong for some apps to be included. See example of how Microsoft put Netscape out of business. That said, everything that I have on my Treo is free and it's a very capable device.

Most phones don't come with a headset at all, so this can't really be considered a negative. You are looking at a gift horse in the mouth with this one.

As for the Palm OS being less capable, I pretty much have to give that to you. That said, it runs with far fewer resources and is far easier to use. That's a trade-off that has suited Palm well for quite a few years now. Proof is in the number of 3rd party apps available. It's starting to catch up with them, but it's not like they are sitting on their hands and doing nothing. They are keeping pace with the user's demand which is really all I need. When people have set up ways to listen to streaming music on their own computers or VNC into their work, the OS is simply capable enough to do almost anything.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmoko
    my peeves...

Camera - should be at least 1mp
    Screen - should be HiRes
    Contacts - SMS a contact's details directly from the app.

But these are all things that I can live with. The attempt on a seamless convergence device is a good one. It can only get better.

The BenQ does look nice and will certainly pack a punch. Be nice to see the finished product 'when' it comes out...
    the uPC is expected end of 2004 at around $2500 CDN. I read that in a tech paper. Expect it to have problems like the initial treo 600s had.. finally to be perfected a year later

are those all the pet peeves you have people? the headset issue IS an issue. For such a high priced product, at least provide a cradle, a decent protective case and/or a decent headset. The lack of a cradle is really surprising.

Regarding PPC being a more capable os - I have been seduced more than once by PPC devices as the GUI is much more rich and the .net platform promising. However, I have always been disappointed with the speed and reliability of PPC and found my way back to the Palm OS which is much faster and more stable. I must admit to using the Palm OS for what it was initially designed for - contacts, calendar, to do and email. With regard to MS Office integration, I believe Dataviz to provide better MS office integration than MS's own PPC apps. Maybe I am getting old and out of it, but I would still take a faster and more reliable OS albeit not nearly as good looking. I am sure PPC will surpass Palm OS in the next few years - the dev $$ behind PPC far outweigh Palm's resources, but I don't think it has happened yet.
    I too have switched back to the palm from PPC. PPC is flash, Palm is productivity and reliability. The Benq looks good It would have to be great to replace my Treo. The Treo is the best gadget I have ever owned.

There are some things I hate about the Treo. Most of them will probably be worked out in the next release:

Hi-res screen
    Better Camera
    Better case, maybe aluminum like the Tungsten E (that thing is a tank)
    More ram
    Voice dialing

I am happy with the Treo now, but these features would make it even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    the uPC is expected end of 2004 at around $2500 CDN. I read that in a tech paper. Expect it to have problems like the initial treo 600s had.. finally to be perfected a year later

are those all the pet peeves you have people? the headset issue IS an issue. For such a high priced product, at least provide a cradle, a decent protective case and/or a decent headset. The lack of a cradle is really surprising.

So I am guessing that now when you shop for a new phone your first few questions will be what sort of headset does it come with, how nice is the case it comes with? Cmon man, if you bought the treo 600 for the case and the headset, your priorities are a bit whacked.
    I bought it for what it does, not what it comes with. Never used the case and already had a hi end headset so why did I care what cheesy accessories were included? I didnt!

How come youre not b!tching about the lack of an sd card? Or a car charger? Or a screen protector? Does the Zire 72 come with a headset or a case? (I know its not a phone but it shares features w/600) Do any PPC phones come with all the accessories anyone would want?
    IMHO, youre just b!tching. Get over it. The phone is awesome. You want accessories, got to the store and buy some, like you have to with just about every other phone on the market.

Any excuse to start a new thread and I fell into the trap AARRRGGGHHHH!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    1. doesn't come stock with useful features like an mp3 player. strong reliance on 3rd party software to improve functionality of t600

2. headphone/headset jack non standard. why? to make more money off the adapter?

3. crappy headset that comes with the unit. obvious reason - so that customers spend more money on a real headset.

1. The MP3 software is free and top of the line: PocketTunes in return for registering the device on www.palmone.com. The only thing I would say against PocketTunes is that it seems to use more CPU bandwidth than RealPlayer. PalmOne should have shipped it in the box on CD or in the ROM though. It would be more convenient.

2. If the headset jack had been 3.5mm standard Stereo jack, all the folks who want to buy telephony headsets would have posted the same comment - why is it not a standard 2.5mm jack? It IS standard 2.5mm for telephony use but not for stereo listening.

3. Crappy headset - agreed 100%. This is cheapskating. This is a luxury phone and should come with better accessories as standard. Mine works fine but I don't take any delight in it. I have seen some of the accessory headsets from Kyocera for the 7135 that you pay for - they are beautiful and well worth the money.

4. Contact list rubbish: Well I have to disagree here - the contact list is all about speed dialing using the three letter lookup. It works really well for this purpose. What other features had you got in mind?
    What bugs me most about the contact app is that it only searches on the start of the first name, as a PPC user I got really used to being able to search contacts by both first and last name, it's much more efficient.
    On the plus side Palm apps are much smaller than typical PPC apps, still lack of support for IMAP and no file explorer is weak.
    The Treo Contacts app searches in four ways (pardon me if you already know this):

Say I want to lookup Howard Johnson. I can type:

hjo - first of the first name and any number of letters of the second
    how - any number of letters of the first name
    joh - any number of letters of the second name
    or if there is no name, I can simply type a company name

I tried out some other applications that look at the same database but usually went back to the core application as they were less elegant. TakePhone is a pretty good replacement for the Contacts - it dials and allows search by company.
    Sorry you're right, It's an issue I have with the PalmDesktop Address book, not the one on the Treo.
    its not really the treo but what really gets me is when you the phone has had it and you need another one so you call up orange UK. but their custmor support is so bad i have just got off the phone to them about an issue with the sd card and they want me to go into a orange shop and show them as proof even though i pay their fee for the insurance
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    The Treo Contacts app searches in four ways (pardon me if you already know this):

Say I want to lookup Howard Johnson. I can type:

hjo - first of the first name and any number of letters of the second
    how - any number of letters of the first name
    joh - any number of letters of the second name
    I hear that! I do like the lookup better in Palm and even without TakePhone. I didn't really like TakePhone and Palm does it well enough for me. My PPC had some trouble with lookups. I no longer have that and for me that's a big benefit. My goal this time and in the future in finding a good phone is the slimline design. Now that we have reasonable function, I might just say it's everything! I love the look and feel of other peoples smart phones. I'm just so attached to my stylus and either the Palm or PPC OS that I can't separate myself from it. Maybe they will come out with a folding screen or keyboard or something to make it slimmer. Unfortunately the developers don't seem to be catching on the that idea. Even the Treo is clunky to me but I like it better than anything I have looked at now or scheduled for future release. Maybe someday style can be achieved without loosing function. I have to agree with the above comments that Palm is working hard to provide a better OS. It's alot to ask I am sure. I personally wish they would tie in better to MS but that just may not be doable and probably all kinds of legal issues exist. Wow, this topic sparked some interest. I have enjoyed hearing all the comments.
    Previous User of T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, Now Using T-Mobile Treo 600, Firmware v3.05, Software v600-1.12-ROW, Palm OS v5.2.1, Hardware B, Handspring Phone v1.0
    put the mic on the front of the device where it belongs. not on the back where I have to continually be concerned about covering it with my hand!
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof

So I am guessing that now when you shop for a new phone your first few questions will be what sort of headset does it come with, how nice is the case it comes with? Cmon man, if you bought the treo 600 for the case and the headset, your priorities are a bit whacked.
    I bought it for what it does, not what it comes with. Never used the case and already had a hi end headset so why did I care what cheesy accessories were included? I didnt!
    <flame snipped>
    i never said they were priorities. i said it would be nice to have things like a nice case or headset as perks for such a high priced gadget. forums are meant to places to vent and get opinions. unless you own or work for handspring or palmone, why does it offend you so much if I complain about things I don't like about the phone? do you make it a habit to defend corporations and their products?

read the thread before flaming.
    Last edited by rossoneri; 06/08/2004 at 10:12 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    put the mic on the front of the device where it belongs. not on the back where I have to continually be concerned about covering it with my hand!
    i thought about this but this may not have been a design choice but was enforced on them due to the fact that there are several PCD internal connections at the front of the unit - the charger/hot sync connector, the keyboard and the navigation buttons.

Fine, I'll respond better this time and make y' all happy ok.

My pet peeve is not enough memory. 64mb would be nice, although having a 512 sd card kinda negates this point. I'd also like to spend a little less on software. I refuse to add up all I have spent. I could probably buy another treo. Hi res would be nice, looks much cleaner, but not a real big deal. Other than that i dont have any real big peeves. I'm pretty happy with it.

Happy now?

i never said they were priorities. i said it would be nice to have things like a nice case or headset as perks for such a high priced gadget. forums are meant to places to vent and get opinions. unless you own or work for handspring or palmone, why does it offend you so much if I complain about things I don't like about the phone? do you make it a habit to defend corporations and their products?

read the thread before flaming.
    If you got a real nice case and headset the price would be higher. You are paying for the phone. The case and headset are freebies, thus the low quality. Do you think HS/P1 is going to trim their profits just so you can have an Ivolution or even a Covertec. Not likely. I am not offended that you complain, I am amused. You bought a $600 dollar phone and you crying about $50-60 worth of accessories. It's been said a hundred times if its been said once. If you cant afford the accessories/software for you $600 phone, you cant afford the phone. And the crack about defending corps and their products. Will you please get real. Tell me youve never defended a product that you really like to someone who didnt. By association youre defending the company that made the product. And whats wrong with that? You got something against corporations?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast