1.    #1  
    See all the Palm Store GPS units here.

See video here of PalmOne's latest offerings for GPS for the new Zire and Tungsten models. (Includes voice guided instructions.)

And all the while they have not made any GPS unit for the Treo 600!!!

Sure I've seen post here about 3rd party companies that make GPS units for the Treo 600 like:
    http://www.mightygps.com/Manufacture...lisfortreo.htm (No voice guided instructions.)

But just the same Palm has nothing to offer us. It is like there is still a Palm vs Handspring wall up within PalmOne although they are now the same company.

When will Palm offer a GPS for Treos? Or will that come with future Bluetooth enabled Treos and we current Treo 600 owners will feel screwed? Will we have to upgrade to a future Treo version just to enjoy from Palm what owners of other units already have?

I'm starting to feel like instead of having the "state of the art" unit that we simply have the expensive unit that is missing one key component...BLUETOOTH. I did not mind not having it before, but now seeing what comes in others palms I feel a little left behind! I don't want to buy one of those cheaper palms just to have GPS and then have 2 PDA devices. The Treo was supposed to eliminate having multiple devices....

Hey I'm just venting .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    [URL=http://store.palmone.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1263670]Sure I've seen post here about 3rd party companies that make GPS units for the Treo 600 like:
    http://www.mightygps.com/Manufacture...lisfortreo.htm (No voice guided instructions.)
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $does$ $have$ $voice$ $prompts$:

Spoken navigation with automatic re-routing and voice prompts are provided by the Mapopolis Navigator Serial GPS for the Handspring Treo 600
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...1446&listing=1

Anyway, all the GPS solutions you mentioned where not developed by PalmOne themselves but in combination with other venders. PalmOne is just packaging them on their site as deals for users to purchase...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Most of these units use the Universal Palm Connector or Bluetooth... why would you expect this to work on the Treo?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $does$ $have$ $voice$ $prompts$:

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...1446&listing=1

Anyway, all the GPS solutions you mentioned where not developed by PalmOne themselves but in combination with other venders. PalmOne is just packaging them on their site as deals for users to purchase...
    Thanks!

Would be nice if the did the same for Treo owners.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Most of these units use the Universal Palm Connector or Bluetooth... why would you expect this to work on the Treo?
    Well that's kind of my point. Palm does not offer any GPS that works with a Treo. The Treo was built without Bluetooth although Bluetooth was around a year ago. And the Treo does not support the UPC (Universal Palm Connector).

I kind of thought the Treo was supposed to be the "flagship" device of the PalmOne fleet of devices. Don't you find it odd that other devices have this support from Palm while their Treo does not have any of it? I recall this was a very big issue when the Treo 600 first came out. Some of us were like "oh well it's got lots of other great features" (that's about where I was then) and others were like "no this sucks no Bluetooth is very bad". Now I think those who were upset about there not being any Bluetooth support were right.
    Last edited by darnell; 06/08/2004 at 09:54 AM.
    There have been GPS receivers that work with the Treo 600 serial port available for months now . Mapopolis Navigator with voice prompts works perfectly with these. For a very competitive price you get the receiver and the serial adaptor which is connected to an auto power supply. You are probably going to want to have your Treo plugged in to power anyway when using GPS. The Palm offering is much more expensive and represents Palm's desire to chisel in to this growing market. The functionality will be exactly the same as other GPS receivers.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I am using a mouse GPS unit on my Treo 600 (GSM) and it works pretty well. The only draw back is that due to small memory capacity, I can only use one map at a time (I am in LA metro area so you can imaging the file size of the map). I bought it when it was quite expensive and I see that there are a few selling on eBay for less than what I bought for.
    As far as I know, there are a few hardware makers out there but as for software, I believe only Mapopolis has it.
  7.    #7  
    I think I'm going to pick up a Mapopolis Navigator when they get more in stock.
    The Treo was developed by handspring way be for they became PalmOne, so why would Handspring put a Universal Palm Conector on the Treo 600? If anything I'm happy Handspring kept the same Pin layout as the 180, 270, and 300.

As far as bluetooth goes i'm not going to beat a dead horse, but it would be v helpfull to have that kind of capablilties...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  9.    #9  
    Of course if Handspring had never gotten rid of the old Springboards we would be able to pop a GPS unit right in along with lots of other cool stuff .

(Yes I miss my Visor Springboards.)
    Of course if Handspring had never gotten rid of the old Springboards we would be able to pop a GPS unit right in along with lots of other cool stuff .

(Yes I miss my Visor Springboards.)

Actually, if Handspring had not gotten rid of the springboard, they would still have been trying to sell Visors instead of Treos and thus would have gone bankrupt long ago...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    Although the Mapopolis Treo Navigator GPS always shows as "Not in Stock" here in the TreoCentral store they keep getting new units in that are shipped to people on the waiting list. I ordered from TC on 6/21 to get on the waiting list and just got mine today. So they are getting units in if you want one.

I've been playing with it a little today. It's pretty cool.

OK, now I'm like WHO CARES if PalmOne does not sell a GPS for the Treo 600 . I guess since the Treo ACE has Bluetooth that will be compatible with PalmOne's GPS.
    Well that's kind of my point. Palm does not offer any GPS that works with a Treo. The Treo was built without Bluetooth although Bluetooth was around a year ago. And the Treo does not support the UPC (Universal Palm Connector).

I kind of thought the Treo was supposed to be the "flagship" device of the PalmOne fleet of devices. Don't you find it odd that other devices have this support from Palm while their Treo does not have any of it?
    I don't see why you think that a Handspring device (yes originally HS) would support the UPC. Palm would have made a horrible mistake in switching it to the UPC, because there would then be two sets of standards and any replacements wouldn't work with the stuff. It would be a disaster.

I think the Treo is the flagship device, but you have to remember that it's phone, which makes it a unique device with unique issues. It has to deal with playing nicely with multiple carriers. It has to deal with battery issues. It has to deal with people that saying the screen and keyboard are too small and other people saying that the device is too big. It has to deal integrating all of Handsprings stuff.

I think people need to relax and be happy that GPS is available. And if people were to ask me what I'd buy (I know you didn't), I think I'd go with something like http://www.semsons.com/itmousgpswma.html
  13.    #13  
    bmacfarland - All that you are talking about is pretty much an over and done with matter now. We had that talk weeks ago. I know you wanted to add your 2 cents, but for me this is a done deal. I brought this back up to mention people can get a GPS from TC although it says they are out of stock. Not to rehash Palm One's decisions.

And if PalmOne went with the UPC, I really don't think it would result in all the "doom and gloom" you're saying might happen.

My original point was not about UPC, that was just a small statement I made in addition to others. My point was that PalmOne does not sell a GPS option for Treo owners. There are lots of Treo owners that do not view TC and that do not trust hardware add-ons that were not "blessed" by PalmOne. PalmOne could make themselves a good few extra bucks if they sold (or resold) a GPS option for the Treo. Then they could promote it in their newsletters like they do other products.
    Sorry for bring it up again, but it was bumped up when you posted and I didn't see anyone else comment on the UPC part of it. I realize it wasn't the original point, but it was a supporting point and one that I thought benefit from discussion. I'm not on these boards everyday to contribute when things are "hot topics."

While I agree with you that Palm One should bundle a GPS solution on it's page, I just think it's a matter of them getting around to it. As for those Treo owners that do not view TC (or at least search TC), I have no pity for them. It's clearly a gadget known for it's versatility. It's not like it's a $15 walkman with four buttons on it.

And I stand by my doom and gloom scenario.
    I am using Perfect Passenger, see www.perfectpassenger.com. Works like a charm! AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $only$ $has$ $maps$ $for$ $Europe$, $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$.

It's on the palmone site as well: http://www-5.palmone.com/nl/en/navigation
  16.    #16  
    Thanks stynos. That looks good. Too bad it does appear to only be for folks in Europe.

So I guess PalmOne does offer a GPS for Treo owners...if you are in Europe .