Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for a good (reliable & cheap) IMAP client to use on my treo so I can send and receive email from my Universities GroupWise Servers. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    ahhh yes, aren't we all? Probably the cheapest IMAP client you'll find is Chatter. ($20 I believe) It's actually an IM program that also does IMAP email. The developer is a good guy who frequents these boards, particularly the "communications" forum.

SnapperMail might arguably be the best client once it becomes available, which supposedly will be this month. However, it's priced at $60 which moves it out of the cheap category. (at least for me)

BaseJet might be another alternative, although there's still some bugs that need to be worked out before I'd call it reliable. Very nice interface though...

Hope that helps!
    SnapperMail 2.0 with IMAP is supposed to be released as a public beta tomorrow. We will see...
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    SnapperMail 2.0 with IMAP is supposed to be released as a public beta tomorrow. We will see...

but it aint cheap.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    VersaMail 2.5 + works well. Available from Palm. I use IMAP all the time with it.
    versamail supports imap.
    mail apps from Agendus Pro supports imap too.
    Snappermail is supposed to also support IMAP over SSL. Do any of the others?
  8.    #8  
    I had used Aileron before, but the $60 price tag for the full version is a little steep, especially since I can use the web to check and send email, just not very efficiently.
  9. afr
    I tried Chatter with GroupWise. Didn't work because Chatter needs the IMAP server to be in "idle" mode, and GW doesn't use "idle" mode. The Chatter folks confirmed that GW and Chatter are incompatible. I use VersaMail 2.5. Works great.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    freakin snapper mail... they need new project management.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    For those of you using VersaMail, how does it retrieve new emails? Is is trigger-based, such as with SMS, or can you only set it up to poll for new emails?
    I've been using versamail 2.5 for months, it works very well except for a few caveats:

- it causes my Treo to reboot on occassion
    - it's support for HTML is awful
    - you can't set it to auto-get mail if you use SSL
    - you can't sync sub-folders from your in-box

Other than that, it is fine.
    Quick list of various email clients for PalmOS that support IMAP:

Versamail
    Basejet
    Chatter
    Corsoft Aileron
    Papi Mail
    Gopher King
    2bAnywhere
    Iambic Mail
    Snappermail 2.0

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    I don't use Versamail (I use Chatter), but I remember Mark (developer of Chatter) mentioning that the Treo can't do SSL in the background, so SSL-mail-retreival must occur in the foreground.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Quick list of various email clients for PalmOS that support IMAP:

Versamail
    Basejet
    Chatter
    Corsoft Aileron
    Papi Mail
    Gopher King
    2bAnywhere
    Iambic Mail
    Snappermail 2.0
    But which of these supports "push" e-mail? That is generally the draw of IMAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    But which of these supports "push" e-mail? That is generally the draw of IMAP.

The only one would be Chatter that combines IMAP push with IM functionality. However it is lacking in other areas like attachment support etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Basejet supports push, although it's done via SMS rather than "true" IMAP push. IMO, this works better than true push for one main reason: battery life.

Chatter's a great app, but it's like a buzzsaw to your battery life because you need to be connected to Vision (or GPRS if you have the GSM version) in order to get emails pushed to you. With SMS solutions like BaseJet, an SMS "trigger" is sent to your phone whenver you get a new email. This turns it on, connects to Vision, syncs the mail folder(s), then disconnects from Vision and gets out of your way. Loss of battery life is virtually nill.

Although it's been discussed many times before, it's probably worth mentioning that Snappermail can be rigged to be SMS triggered. (at least the current version of Snapper, not sure about the upcoming 2.0 release but I assume it would be the same) By using the free TreoHelper app, you can have it launch Snappermail based on SMS criteria that you define. For Sprint users, you would have your email account forward a copy of every email you get to your sprintpcs.com email account, which can then be configured to send your Treo an SMS whenever it gets a new email. Not the most elegeant solution, but it works well.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeplato
    I've been using versamail 2.5 for months, it works very well except for a few caveats:

- it causes my Treo to reboot on occassion
    - it's support for HTML is awful
    - you can't sync sub-folders from your in-box

Other than that, it is fine.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the last item - I sync sub-folders all of the time with VersaMail.

And for the person asking the question, if you have a busy mailbox, VersaMail is the only one out there that will keep you sane, as it is the only one that has true two-way sync from master>treo treo>master.

Danita
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    The mail client from PalmOne that came bundled (and free) with the most recent updater (I have a Sprint unit) works fairly well with Groupwise, although some features are not acessible, at least for my servers - can't ask it to pull only email for past day, and cannot disable the option to "leave mail on server" when deleting. I am waiting for SnapperMail 2.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast