Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    Incorrect. AVI is not a codec. It is a file format. Big difference. If your player plays AVI files, that's great. But in order for it to correctly interpret a particular AVI, it must have a corresponding codec installed.

"Codec" is slang for "encoder/decoder." The codecs used by various file formats allow the players to decode the content correctly.
    Sorry, multi-tasking all the things I do in a day, I didn't explain to well.
    Alli can explain, I don't single task or task switch.

It should have read .avi and it's codecs. Also included is the real definition of codec, and where you can find GT codec for avi. And some more info.

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/download/M3JPEG2K.exe
    http://www.3ivx.com/download/windows.html
    http://www.grandtech.com.tw/

codec: Acronym for coder-decoder

Supported File Formats

Windows Media Formats (.asf, .wma, .wmv, .wm)

§ Advanced Systems Format (.asf)

§ Windows Media Audio (.wma)

§ Windows Media Video (.wmv, .wm)

Windows Media metafiles (.asx, .wax, .wvx, .wmx, .wpl)

§ Advanced Stream Redirector (.asx)

§ Windows Media Audio Redirector (.wax)

§ Windows Media Video Redirector (.wvx)

§ Windows Media Redirector (.wmx)

§ Windows Media Player Playlist (.wpl)

Experts Group (.mpg, .mpeg, .m1v, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpe, .mpv2, .m3u)

§ MPEG-1 (.mpeg, .mpg, .m1v)

§ MPEG Audio Layer III (.mp3)

§ MPEG Audio Layer II (.mp2, .mpa)

§ M3U (.m3u)

MMplayer

MMPlayer is a powerful Mobile Media Player for PalmOS that supports the widest variety of codecs, formats and protocols.

Here are the features MMPlayer has or will have : Feature Implemented Planned

Audio codecs PCM (signed/unsigned, 8/16bits, little/big endian, alaw, mulaw)

Adaptive PCM

MPEG audio (layer 1,2,3 -aka MP3-)

AAC

Ogg Vorbis

File formats WAV

MP3

MPEG1 (mpg,mpeg,vcd)

MPEG2 (vob, transport stream)

AU

AVI

ASF

RM

SWF

OGG

MOV/MP4

Protocols INT (used to read files stored in the handheld's internal memory)

EXT (used to read files stored on expansion cards)

HTTP

RTSP

Video codecs H263

MPEG 1,2,4

DivX

DV

MJPEG

Static images GIF

JPEG

PNG

JPEG-2000

SuperMap

Speech codecs g.729 (CS-ACELP)

speex (CELP)

AMR

Synthetic audio MIDI

Some examples of codecs include the following:
    The codec is not to be confused with the file format (or container) used to store the a/v information encoded by the codec. File formats like ".ogg", ".mpg", ".avi", ".mov", etc. are used to store information encoded by a codec
    Last edited by dlbrummels; 06/09/2004 at 04:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Sorry, multitasking all the things I do in a day, I didn't explain to well.
    Alli can explain, I don't single task or task switch.

It should have read .avi and it's codecs. Also included is the real definition of codec, and where you can find GT codec for avi. And some more info.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/PicExportError
    It looks as if you tried to multitask again. Dude, you need to lay off that for a while. I mean, I like Wingdings as much as the next geek, but come on! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    It looks as if you tried to multitask again. Dude, you need to lay off that for a while. I mean, I like Wingdings as much as the next geek, but come on! :-)
    Only doing 4 things, that is a limitation of TC forum capacities.
    Back to the simple question... So can you take a movie with Live! and email it to someone and have that person view it just like that, or does the receover need a piece of "special software" in addition to Window's AVI player?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Back to the simple question... So can you take a movie with Live! and email it to someone and have that person view it just like that, or does the receover need a piece of "special software" in addition to Window's AVI player?
    I think the simple answer is "don't count on the recipient to have the codec". As I said previously, I was unable on either my home and work computers to play my Live vids; my comps are pretty up-to-date with Windows Media. Live's manual states:

To play the exported AVI on your desktop computer first you need a MJPG decoder. If you try to play
    the AVI movie and you get an error then you don’t have the MJPG decoder. Here are some MJPG
    decoders available for Windows®. Some are freeware and some are shareware. Follow their
    instructions to install the decoder. [SPECIFIC SITES SNIPPED - I LISTED THEM IN AN EARLIER POST]
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/09/2004 at 08:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here

I sent .avi files that I took on my Treo directly to both my father and a student, both of whom were able to view them without coming back and complaining that they couldn't or asking what they needed to view. I know it's a small research sample, but it's the only one I've got...and it's 100% of my sample surveyed are able to view avi's sent directly from Live.
    Alli, thanks for the info. Good to know. My hope is that, in general, you can send those .avi files to lots of people without encountering problems. However, interesting that the manuel for Live! indicates you need to have added software to view said files. How about this, can you send me an .avi file and I will see if it works on my PC? This way you can significattly increase your sample survey and we can do our collective part for science!
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli

I sent .avi files that I took on my Treo directly to both my father and a student, both of whom were able to view them without coming back and complaining that they couldn't or asking what they needed to view. I know it's a small research sample, but it's the only one I've got...and it's 100% of my sample surveyed are able to view avi's sent directly from Live.
    Try the codec..

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/download/M3JPEG2K.exe
    i downloaded the live demo.

i shot a short film.
    i had to convert the film to avi on my treo. Not a short process considering the length of the film.
    I sent the film to a co-worker. it wouldn't play.

I tansfered the avi to my desktop. sent it to windows media player. It would not play.
    Opened up quicktime. It played.

FYI, I got a white screen of death when going into Live the 3rd time.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I tansfered the avi to my desktop. sent it to windows media player. It would not play.
    Opened up quicktime. It played.
    AHA! Felipe just solved this whole conflict.... I was similarly unable to run Live movies using WMP, but was able using Quicktime. It seems that both sides of this issue (as is so common) are right. Let the record show:

Live avi videos can be played by recipients without downloading specific codecs, so long as you clearly state that the video should be opened using Quicktime, rather than Windows Media Player.
    I still can't send a movie file! I can save the file, as suggested, as a .jpg file. I then move it to my SD card. Then I tried to use Mail to insert the file. Mail won't even show an option to pull files off the SD card, just my "file" catagories like business, personal, unfiled, etc. So I then tried to send it throug Camera. The file does show up with other pictures through Camera, but the icon is crossed. No problem, but when I select and hit "Send", I get an error message stating the operation cannot be performed. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help on this. It seems you all seem to have no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by winebrat
    I still can't send a movie file! I can save the file, as suggested, as a .jpg file. I then move it to my SD card. Then I tried to use Mail to insert the file. Mail won't even show an option to pull files off the SD card, just my "file" catagories like business, personal, unfiled, etc. So I then tried to send it throug Camera. The file does show up with other pictures through Camera, but the icon is crossed. No problem, but when I select and hit "Send", I get an error message stating the operation cannot be performed. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help on this. It seems you all seem to have no problem.

Which program are you talking about? If it's Live, you still have to export the file to avi, then send.
    Yes, Live!. So, how do I send? Read my original post to see what I've done, and haven't done so far. Thanks.
    Live, open folder, select movie, export, export avi. Avi movie file is in DCIM on SD card.

Snappermail, new message, select attach, (paperclip) brings up select directory, select DCIM, click ok, opens directory, select the box of the avi movie file, select attach. Select to, to whom you want to send, ckick send
    Live, open folder, select movie, export, export avi. Avi movie file is in DCIM on SD card.
    Snappermail...d
    Everything was cool until you said Snappermail. I don't use it. I guess it wasn't clear that I was using P1's built-in mail app. That's why it probably doesn't work. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by winebrat
    Everything was cool until you said Snappermail. I don't use it. I guess it wasn't clear that I was using P1's built-in mail app. That's why it probably doesn't work. Thanks.
    Just needs the ability to attach a file.
    Just needs the ability to attach a file.
    What are you talking about? Read my original post and you'll see that Mail (P1 built-in mail) won't take the attachment, no matter what I name it or how I export it in Live!.
    Why not use another email app ?
    I'm fine with that. I just didn't realize reading through this thread that everyone was using Snappermail. I've never had a reason to switch from Palm's mail app., until now.
    Didn't realize it until winebrat mentioned it, but Palm one app has "simplified" the attachment option.

When you you go to attach something, you get a list of applications (camara, sounds, documents (dataviz)) it supports. Then it takes you that application to pick the document.

You have no options to go look for the file. if it isn't associated with one of the list of app it supports, you cant attach it.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast