1.    #1  
    I did the 1.2 update and starting having the problem. I had every symptom possible ie. dropping calls, unable to answer or place calls, long network connect and disconnect times, extremly fast battery discharge, etc.. you name it my phone had it!

After reading all the post and realizing that most people without the problem are not going to post a message, it was obvious that the problem is random and there is not a common version (a,b, or c). People either have the problem, or there are MILLIONS (yes millions) of people who don't regardless of version. This says that Hardware issues are HIGHLY unlikely. Knowing that downloads are housed on several different servers I thought is was quite possible that there is one or more of them housing a corrupt file.

I downloaded a NEW update file, performed a hard reset, and reinstalled the update (DO NOT REINSTALL WITH YOUR CURRENT FILE) then another hard reset and then restored my data. My phone has been working perfect since! I have none of the symtoms at all. which further tells me that hardware is not the issue! When hardware breaks.... it stays broke.

It worked for me, let me know if it works for anyone else.
    Last edited by sxtg; 06/06/2004 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I did the 1.2 update and starting having the problem. I had every symptom possible ie. dropping calls, unable to answer or place calls, long network connect and disconnect times, extremly fast battery discharge, etc.. you name it my phone had it!

After reading all the post and realizing that most people without the problem are not going to post a message, it was obvious that the problem is random and there is not a common version (a,b, or c). People either have the problem, or there are THOUSANDS (yes thousands) of people who don't regardless of version. This says that Hardware issues are HIGHLY unlikely. Knowing that downloads are housed on several different servers I thought is was quite possible that there is one or more of them housing a corrupt file.

I downloaded a NEW update file, performed a hard reset, and reinstalled the update (DO NOT REINSTALL WITH YOUR CURRENT FILE) then another hard reset and then restored my data. My phone has been working perfect since! I have none of the symtoms at all. which further tells me that hardware is not the issue! When hardware breaks.... it stays broke.

It worked for me, let me know if it works for anyone else.
    What is the url for where you downloaded the "good" version? I have not downloaded yet, but if there is one that is problem free, I might try it.
  3.    #3  
    I downloaded from Palm One support. Remember that you are always directed to the most available server so if you do this and still have problems try again.
    First try didn't work for me. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=16
    Your experience with the fix does sound interesting, and I sincerly hope it keeps on workin, but what about those who have not ever updated to 1.2 (like me) and are still having the prob? Software is inherently binary most of the time (it usually works or it doesn't) whereas hardware issues can be degenerative . All network search Treos could have within them the same root cause (faulty or poorly manufactured component) but due to variances in the component itself or variances in the Treo's manufacturing process, some may fail as the Treo is burned in (electrically) and some can survive. To sum up my extremely boring post, Im not saying ur incorrect but most people report network search probs somewhere around 3-6 months after purchase. Its much more likely hardware could fail in varying degrees of severity after 'burn in' than software.
    I have been experiencing this problem for the last two weeks. I've had this same SprintTreo 600 since last October. Two days ago, I upgraded to 1.2. I am still experiencing the problem which is now "no service" with dropped calls. I only see this problem when my battery drops below 80% charge. It's my understanding that this problem will only get worse over time,ie., happen even if battery shows 100% charge.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's just a matter of time before your "network searches" crop up again. Do yourself a favor and go have it tested at your local SprintPCS service shop.
  8.    #8  
    Well......after several days I am now experiencing problems again! Obviously my fix was temporary- just like swapping the phone! The only difference is, it is slightly more convenient than running to sprint and arguing with them yet again. After 4 phone replacements and now this, I beleive there is no fix until they come out with a new update. I still dont and cant beleive that my problem is hardware. I have never heard of software being able to fix failed hardware (ESPECIALLY BURNED IN FAILURES) even on a temporary basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Well......after several days I am now experiencing problems again! Obviously my fix was temporary- just like swapping the phone! The only difference is, it is slightly more convenient than running to sprint and arguing with them yet again. After 4 phone replacements and now this, I beleive there is no fix until they come out with a new update. I still dont and cant beleive that my problem is hardware. I have never heard of software being able to fix failed hardware (ESPECIALLY BURNED IN FAILURES) even on a temporary basis.
    It is definitely a hardware problem. In my case, the "Network Search" started happening intermittently and would sometimes go away for several weeks and then come back. Over time the problem got worse and worse to the point where I couldn't even use the phone at all without getting the "Network Search" problem. I found that if I plugged the phone into the wall, I could then make calls and connect to the vision services. Next time you have "Network Search" problems, plug your phone in and retry connecting.

I believe the problem could be due to a combinations of 2 possibilities:
    1. The battery degrades over time such that the voltage supplied to the phone is reduced.
    2. The hardware "burns in" over time and requires more voltage to operate. Maybe the engineers didn't design the phone with enough voltage headroom. With a new phone, I bet the required voltage is just barely met with the internal battery. Over time the battery and component specs shift just slightly, and the minimum voltage level is no longer met with the internal battery.

Just a theory,
    Nate.
    Folks,

Once you have the "Network Search" problem, it may go away for a while, but it will come back (when you need the phone most).

Bring it into a Sprint store, it will fail the RF tests and you can arrange for a replacement.

In my case, they overnighted a brand new one the next day.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    It is definitely a hardware problem. . . .

I believe the problem could be due to a combinations of 2 possibilities:
    1. The battery degrades over time such that the voltage supplied to the phone is reduced.
    2. The hardware "burns in" over time and requires more voltage to operate. Maybe the engineers didn't design the phone with enough voltage headroom. With a new phone, I bet the required voltage is just barely met with the internal battery. Over time the battery and component specs shift just slightly, and the minimum voltage level is no longer met with the internal battery.

Just a theory,
    Nate.
    Pretty good theory. Check out this post (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=10), which contains an email from Sprint that describes the Network Search issue as a known problem that is "due to a hardware failure of the battery connector."

There are a couple of other pieces to the puzzle:

Apparently, the 1.20 update can trigger the Network Search issue suddenly in a susceptible phone. However, after the update, your phone will say "No Service" instead of Network Search. (Do you suppose they did that on purpose to throw everybody off the track for awhile?! )

The problem degrades over time, so unless you're using your phone primarily in a fringe area, as I was, you might not notice you have a problem for awhile.

Also, I know from first-hand experience that it's possible to receive a replacement phone from Sprint (refurbished with 1.20) that has the Network Search problem right out of the box. So, either the problem was not fixed by the refub. process, or if it was, the 1.20 updater caused it to malfunction again.

I really hope they get this problem fixed before my hair turns white!

~~~~~
    I believe that the problem is hardware related. A loose connection sounds just about right. If I slam my phone down on the desk, it goes away for a couple of weeks. but it always returns.

Unfortunately, both times I have taken my phone to the Sprint store, it miraculously works again. Of course, it eventually comes back.