1.    #1  
    blackberry email and devices are everywhere, and im wondering when palmone will adopt blackberry connect services as their own email and web servers.
    BB email is the fastest - no question. its the most widely used. I just think it would be a very logical move to make BB services the core software on treos. it would help significantly the sale and popularity of treo devices!!!
    the news that blackberry email would come to the treo was out months ago, but things have been very silent since.
    I personally would love to see the two companies MERGE.
    probably not possible, but a potential blockbuster of a possibility. rumors spread that dell would acquire palmone. well if dell did so AFTER blackberry decided to join forces would be a titanic merger!!! these powerhouses joined together could produce incredibly high quality smartphones with only the finest hardware + software inside!!!
    also, those who own shares of palmone, dell, and or rimm (blackberry company - research in motion ) might experience quite a positive ride up in the value of their stocks!!!
  2.    #2  
    does anyone here have any insider or juicy details on the stance of blackberry or rimm, dell and palmone?
    I've been watching all three pretty closely in the past few months - BB stock, rimm. has surged from $30 / share to $116 / share in the past year and a half!!!. palmone stock has surged from $10.75 / share to $21.00 / share in the same time frame!!!

now im not trying to turn this into a financial debate - just pointing out how each company has been doing financially.

with each company's stock improving so dramatically, how realistic is it for the two companies to join forces at any point in time?
  3.    #3  
    also want to mention that I am an avid palmone fan, and that these posts are in no way rubbing BB into treo - fans's faces.
    im just notice how the two could "clean up" in the pda / smartphone market TOGETHER, and wondering if the merger or closer working relationship betn the two is possible anytime soon?
    BB-connect will arrive by late this year;

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6824

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    thankyou, gfunk.
    If palmOne and Palmsource can "execute", they will be better off staying independent. Same for the investors.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    If palmOne and Palmsource can "execute", they will be better off staying independent. Same for the investors.
    well maybe true. good to hear other perspectives on this one.
    I would not bother getting that system.
    I am an IT Director and currently have about 20 blackberry users and 7 treo with good technology users. In top of that, I happen to carry around both. I also used to work at a professional services company where the only thing we did was develop applications on handheld devices that will take advantage of wireless networks.

Blackberry service kind of synchs your e-mail and your calendar. With wireless calendar enabled, I say you get about 70% of your appointments synched correctly. Make a note change on your blackberry or attach a contact rarely shows up on your bb.
    Blackberry by default only synchs messages that end up on your inbox. Importing 500 messages from another account will never show up on your blackberry.

Good technology, on the other hand, synchs everything (except journal, which no one really uses). If I mark a message unread on my inbox, it will be unread on my treo. If I delete a message on my treo, it will delete it on my exchange account. Calendar, contacts, notes and tasks are also automatically synched. Drag three messages on your desktop to a subfolder, same thing happens on your treo.

The only thing that blackberry has going for itself is the keyboard. As a PDA/PIM manager, it is leagues below a treo with Good Technology. If I could transfer my blackberry users to treos, I would in a second. Too much of an investment to get rid of, but not my prefered.

Lastly, since Good is a full synch of everything, even Mac users could benefit. They can still use most of their palm apps and synch to their machine. No such thing for the blackberry users.
  9.    #9  
    that's interesting to hear. surprising also to learn that goodlink may indeed be more desirable as an email client than blackberry! hmm.
    never dreamed that only 70% calendar events are carried along when synching - THATS ALARMING!
    well, again, its invaluable to hear from those who have gained inside experience with these technologies. hmm, and all along I assumed BB held the top spot!
    those who I have met with re: goodlink do always compliment it, so I guess its not all that surprising. good to know! thanks for your input!
    I have some info on the Blackberry/Palm connection from a reliable source.

Blackberry operability will NOT be available for existing devices. it is going to be integrated into the new Palm OS. The first device to have it will be an upcoming Samsung smartphone. Prototypes are being tested now.

Not great news for us, but a good assumption that the next Treo will have this.

Also, it was described as being somewhat less robust that what is on RIM devices. Not sure what that means.
  11.    #11  
    that's a shame. I was hoping to test out BB on the T600. hmm. oh well. but it makes sense that they'd integrate it into an os with smoother working interface to take full advantage of it.
    well, it will be good to hear how those with the new palmone os devices assess it. time will tell.
    would blackberry connect take up a significant amount of ram to include on the device?
    Just to clarify, those are numbers I experienced using the "Wireless Calendar Synch" Option.
    If you use the regular cradle sync, it works as designed.
    I have friend whose office was considering moving to the Treo 600 from Blackberrys. Oddly enough the sticking point became PDF file attachments. Apparently Blackberry has some way of dealing with them, while Acrobat Reader for Palm absolutely sucks and requires an intermediary step on the PC. Does anyone have any more information on this?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I am hoping for BB email/calendar for the Treo 600, even if the Good system is better simply because our (medium-sized) company's IT already supports BB and they are NOT going to buy and support Good also for just a couple of Treo users.

I've tried the Infowave SymPro and the Visto MessageXpress desktop redirector systems so far, and they are both unreliable (at least in our MS Outlook/Exchange Server environment). If you need to phone back to the office to have someone shutdown and restart the redirector every two days, that is not a "mobile solution" worth the name. Perhaps next-on-my-list Basejet will work for me, but I've seen plenty of complaints about it too.

The only thing the BB does well is corporate email/calendar sync, and the only thing I've been disappointed about the Treo is corporate (i.e. not POP) email/calendar sync. At least I can listen to MP3's on my Treo while waiting for the home office to open so someone can kickstart my email redirection again.

Welcome to the bleeding edge. :-(
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Actually with GoodLink you can view a PDF as a text file. All attachments can be views that way. We are trialing Good and have not yet been able to ge the native attachment download to work.

-d

Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    I have friend whose office was considering moving to the Treo 600 from Blackberrys. Oddly enough the sticking point became PDF file attachments. Apparently Blackberry has some way of dealing with them, while Acrobat Reader for Palm absolutely sucks and requires an intermediary step on the PC. Does anyone have any more information on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by mercer
    I am hoping for BB email/calendar for the Treo 600, even if the Good system is better simply because our (medium-sized) company's IT already supports BB and they are NOT going to buy and support Good also for just a couple of Treo users.

I've tried the Infowave SymPro and the Visto MessageXpress desktop redirector systems so far, and they are both unreliable (at least in our MS Outlook/Exchange Server environment). If you need to phone back to the office to have someone shutdown and restart the redirector every two days, that is not a "mobile solution" worth the name. Perhaps next-on-my-list Basejet will work for me, but I've seen plenty of complaints about it too.

The only thing the BB does well is corporate email/calendar sync, and the only thing I've been disappointed about the Treo is corporate (i.e. not POP) email/calendar sync. At least I can listen to MP3's on my Treo while waiting for the home office to open so someone can kickstart my email redirection again.

Welcome to the bleeding edge. :-(
    mercer,

Curious what OS, etc. your Visto redirector was running on. I too had many redirector stability problems in the past. I've started using Visto again for the past couple of months and the redirector has been rock-solid for me on an old Win2K laptop. Haven't had to reboot in all that time, vs. at least weekly when I was running WinME...

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Penny
    mercer,

Curious what OS, etc. your Visto redirector was running on. I too had many redirector stability problems in the past. I've started using Visto again for the past couple of months and the redirector has been rock-solid for me on an old Win2K laptop. Haven't had to reboot in all that time, vs. at least weekly when I was running WinME...

Paul
    I've also had a pretty good experience (first with Sprint's Business Connection and now with the latest Seven beta software) with the desktop redirectors. I often go more than two weeks at a time without rebooting and rarely if ever have any problems with redirection (using a recent Dell machine running W2k). My biggest problem is unannounced reboots while I am away, typically as a result of the IT staff having to apply MS patches to close security holes. Gotta love Microsoft
  18. djc
    We also use Good (upgraded RIM 957's, G-100's, and now Treo 600's. We had used BB in the past, but Good Technology has surprassed BB in the realm of wireless sync. It's cross platform, no need for clumsy cradles and desktop client software. Just provision the device, let it sync for a few minutes, and the user is good to go.

BB stands no chance compared to Goodlink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Penny
    Windows 2000 desktop and a Windows 2000 Exchange Server. The Visto software is rebranded as Rogers Enhanced Wireless Desktop through our provider Rogers Wireless (Canada), but I was told the desktop redirector software is essentially the same other than the labels and possibly the intermediate server it connects to.

I'm going to try completely uninstallling and reinstalling (as our Rogers support person suggested), and then let them try to make a few further suggestions before trying BaseJet, but after spending 2 months failing to get Infowave's Symmetry Pro working I'm feeling a little pessimistic (Infowave's support person, all one of them, was friendly but seemed clueless).