Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I am starting this thread to see if there is any interest out there for this type of application for our Treos, and I guess it's more or less aimed directly at Shimon, the only guy I can think of who could do this correctly...

I'm one of those who happens to like the built-in Treo 600 phone app, it's simplicity of use, the directional shortcuts, etc. but at the same time find it's got too many shortcomings.
    I tried takephone and I found it extremeley complicated and did away with the things I did like about the Treo phone program. I think Takephone is really great for people who like that sort of app, and the price is right, but it's not for everyone I think.

I would be willing to pay the same amount for a different, simpler kind of app: something that closely emulates the built-in phone app, retaining it's basic easy of use, but enhancing the parts that are currently lacking.

I imagine keeping the same exact app, but adding the following:

- The ability to dial from any application.

- The ability to dial numbers from the contacts application *into the current call*, for codes, calling cards, long distance numbers, etc.

- Customizable Caller ID display with extra fields such as Company or any other user-selected fields.

- Integrated caller ID area-code lookup, to know where a certain call is coming from.

- Easy way (screen button) to hang up ONE call when in call waiting mode, not the current confusing process.

- Easy skinning support

That's about it. Sounds simple on paper. Now the question is, does anybody else feel this is more in line with what you want from your phone app than TakePhone itself? Since it has happened before, I was wondering if enough people are interested in this, Shimon (or another capable developer) could take this one on...

Please post!
    I'm with you. I would pay for this
    I like TakePhone, but any app that could solve the call waiting hangup issue would be a welcome addition to my stuff for sure.
    There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
    Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I guess the one thing I would add to that is that I would like to see NATIVE mp3 support-- none of this "needs pockettunes" stuff.

Goodlink already kills the hell out of my CPU, Goodlink and any MP3 ringer means a nice massive delay any time I get a call...
  5. brf
    I'm with NSiNSiNSi .... I would love an app like that, one that's not quite as "heavy" as TakePhone (which I have tried but just didn't fit me)
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    Maybe Takephone can do a Lite version (hint hint).
  7.    #7  
    Is it really only us? SO many people were complaining about these things when we all first got our Treo 600s...
    I'd like to be able to have the phone app display key punches as I enter then while on a call - nice to be able to see mistakes (or not) as I make them (I have fat fingers).
    It'd be nice to set up individual favorites to call PocketTunes or another player for mp3/wav ringers. What I don't like about current mp3 ringer programs that I've tried is that you have to specify all these rules when you already have the favorites all set up, or you can only specify a global ringer, like with phone technician. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think there's anything like that out there.
  10. brf
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Is it really only us? SO many people were complaining about these things when we all first got our Treo 600s...
    This has been a suprisingly slow thread!
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    While your adding a way to dial from anywhere....you should add a way to type in any url and go to it from any app. It could just be a little popup by holding a key down and defaults to numbers, but when you type in letters it will open blazer and connect to that address...I suggested a small app that did both a long time ago before The Great TC Crash but no one thought it was a good idea.
    Dialing from the calendar is really important. Would love to be able to be able to have phone numbers auto-highlighted in calendar so it's a one button push to dial a scheduled call. Right now, you have to create a "contact" for each conference call I'm on (ok for repeating calls, but still silly). Not even agendus fixes this one by creating a "call" in their app, apparently. Oh well.
    Hi,

On the risk of being blamed for "highjacking" - since TAKEphONE is mentioned several times here - some points:

- With TAKEphONE, you CAN dial (and go to a URL, and start an email) to any highlighted number/url.
    This includes numbers in Calendar entries.

- TAKEphONE allows the use of calling-cards automatically, adding "extra digits" and hard/timed pauses (multiple ones) from BOTH the favourites and the contacts.

- TAKEphONE is skinnable.

I am not inclined to do a "TAKEphONE lite" (working on another new app - "2day"), but if you try to explain what would you simplify in TAKEphONE (here ? on another thread ?), I might try adding another mode in TAKEphONE.

What I was thinking about is adding a new "home" screen that will work similar to the built-in one - on-screen keypad plus the 5-way launcher...

(BTW - I am going away for a week, but I will get on this thread when I get back)
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    When selecting text with Takephone for a number or web address, is it possible to use TreoSelectText for highlighting or will it only work with the stylus? I have a program that brings up the command line when selecting text but it unfortunately does not work with TreoSelectText. I think a Takephone lite should be created...I like using the regualr phone app and I guess I haven't used Takephone in a long time but I think all the ideas from the first post could be combined into an app that would launch over any running app with a key hold and it would let the user do a few of the things mentioned in the first post. But I am excited to see how we can fix the call waiting and conferencing problems. Call waiting really makes me mad, especially when I don't answer or ignore the incoming call and then disables TreoGuard and leaves the screen on while I am still on the other call and leaving the stupid prompt that lets me either answer or ignore. It would be great if someone could rewrite the phone app so that it could handle call waiting and conferencing and add a ton of other features. This might make Palm1 unhappy and would be a great feat in itself but I need another solution to the way the phone app handles phone calls. I'm gonna try Takephone again to see whats new.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDucer
    Call waiting really makes me mad, especially when I don't answer or ignore the incoming call and then disables TreoGuard and leaves the screen on while I am still on the other call and leaving the stupid prompt that lets me either answer or ignore.
    Amen.
    Shimon,

I was under the impression that TAKEphONE didn't allow you to dial directly from a calendar entry. Do you have to copy and paste to the phone app or do phone numbers actually show up as links like they do in an email message in Snapper for instance?

I had asked about this in previous threads and someone said that TAKEphONE couldn't do it so I didn't look any further at the app. Please tell me I'm wrong. I've also looked at your site just now and see that it says "No-stylus operation" but I'm not quite sure that it does the one thing I'm primarily looking for. Can you send me a screenshot so I can see it before I give it a go? Or can anyone send it since Shimon's on vacation?

Thanks for your help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RawData
    Shimon,

I was under the impression that TAKEphONE didn't allow you to dial directly from a calendar entry. Do you have to copy and paste to the phone app or do phone numbers actually show up as links like they do in an email message in Snapper for instance?

I had asked about this in previous threads and someone said that TAKEphONE couldn't do it so I didn't look any further at the app. Please tell me I'm wrong. I've also looked at your site just now and see that it says "No-stylus operation" but I'm not quite sure that it does the one thing I'm primarily looking for. Can you send me a screenshot so I can see it before I give it a go? Or can anyone send it since Shimon's on vacation?

Thanks for your help!!
    Not yet on vacation... (tomorrow is mt v-day)

You need to install the "TAKEphONE OS-5 extension" file supplied with TAKEphONE, and enable "Capturing".
    Then - highlight any number/email/url (you can use the stylus, and I heard the Text-Select-Tool works here, too) and press the PHONE button. Number will be taken into TAKEphONE for dialing/emailing/browsing.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDucer
    When selecting text with Takephone for a number or web address, is it possible to use TreoSelectText for highlighting or will it only work with the stylus? I have a program that brings up the command line when selecting text but it unfortunately does not work with TreoSelectText. . . .
    I use the capture feature in TAKEphONE and it works very well. But in repsonse to your post above about TreoSelectText, what program are you using to bring up the command bar? I use TreoSelectText and then access the command bar through Butler (formerly TreoButler) by holding the Menu button. They work great together.
    I use MarknDial to dial numbers from any application. Simply hightlight the number and press the Menu button then the space bar.
  20.    #20  
    Shimon,

Thanks much for replying.

Another mode on TakePhone sounds like a viable idea! I imagine everything you need to do is already coded into TakePhone in one way or another. I would definitely go for that.

Like I mentioned in the first post, the main thing would be to preserve (or emulate as the case may be) the simple interface of the default Treo phone app. That means, in a nutshell:

a- A simple keypad with date and time display
    b- Recent numbers dialer and call log application accessible through the center button
    c- 4-way launcher

Those, I think, are the basics of what makes the phone app simple to use.

What would be useful to have on top of that, and TakePhone already does some of these, are:

1- Ability to dial from any application

2- Ability to easily dial additional numbers from the contact list into the ongoing call (for special codes, calling cards, etc.)

3- Customizable displays for incoming and outgoing calls (i.e., Company field)

4- Easy and clear way to hang up one call and not the other when in call waiting mode

5- And finally, something I think just about everyone would greatly appreciate if they saw it in action: integrated area code lookup from the caller ID. The idea would be to see the corresponding origin for an incoming area code. This information is fairly static and freely available. I have seen this feature in some regaular phones and it is incredibly useful.

That would be my basic list I guess. Anyone else have any thoughts?

On my part SHimon, if these things were available in Takephone as part of a new mode I would buy it so fast I would leave a trail of fire behind me. I think a lot of people would too, judging by my conversations with other Treo owners...

Looking forward to your reply!

Cheers.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast