1.    #1  
    I getting ready to move from my ipaq 2215 to a treo 600 and I would like to know is there anyone out there that has made a switch like this and are they happy with it. I know Im giving up something's with the ipaq.....but I really need one device that does almost the same thing as both my phone and PDA. The Treo 600 seems like the almost perfect device for me. I like to read, listen to music, play games, organize my life and watch videos along the basic pda functionality
    The video piece is probably the biggest thing that will seem poorer. T600 does it nicely but it's not the same on a square screen compared to to a nice 16-bit landscape view on a PPC.

You will be dazzled by the ease of data entry on the keyboard - Transcriber and other character recognition apps will be a thing of the past for you. If you like Graffiti-like input you can install these on a Treo.

HotSync is less quirky than ActiveSync. As long as your PC has a sound USB chipset/setup, you will be pleasantly surprised by the ease of synchronization. I am not a fan of the continuous synch on ActiveSync.

You will also have to get used to the enormous amount of software for the Treo as opposed to PPC. www.palmgear.com www.eurocool.com www.handango.com www.freewarepalm.com etc.
    I switched from Ipaq 5555 in April to the Treo 600. I was worried about it but I really like the Treo. We have Cingular Xpressmail and it has been great having the email pushed to the Treo. I highly recommend the switch because it is so much better having an all in one unit like this.
    I made the transition when my Ipaq was stolen when I was working abroad. At first I was a bit dubious as I'd never really played with a Palm based PDA before. However, I'm not going back now!

I find the Palm system alot more stable overall and also faster. Not sure if this is due to what I have on my Treo etc. My Dad's just got a iQue GPS/Palm unit which has the same stability as my Treo.

PPC based units are generally used for other things apart from organisation (traditionally what palm was designed for) although I think as Palm products get more advance (ie - mor eprocessing power) the gap will close on what can and can't be done over both platforms.

Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Oli
    I moved from a HP Ipaq 1910 to the Treo 600 and Love It ! I owned a Palm device before the Pocket PC but wanted to give the Pocket PC a chance. I do miss the resolution on the ppc but microsoft activesync took me to the limit. You will never have sync problems with the palm os that you do with activesync.

Plus it's been said that there is more ppc software than palm os software. NOT TRUE !!
    Hurry and switch, I now use my Ipaq 3670 for a paper weight and never regreted it.

Palm treo 600 so much easier then ppc and activesync.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnath
    I getting ready to move from my ipaq 2215 to a treo 600 and I would like to know is there anyone out there that has made a switch like this and are they happy with it. I know Im giving up something's with the ipaq.....but I really need one device that does almost the same thing as both my phone and PDA. The Treo 600 seems like the almost perfect device for me. I like to read, listen to music, play games, organize my life and watch videos along the basic pda functionality
    I have an IPAQ 1910 gathering dust. Also a Palm III that died a couple of years ago.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I too have switched from an ipaq to the T600 and highly recommend it.
    Interesting.... I think I might be going the other way soon...That Asus A730 is looking really nice...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've switched from an iPaq 3650 to the T600 and mostly it's been fine, transfering all my data from Outlook to Palm Desktop was effortless and the sync software seems better thought out than activesync.
    I have one Major issue in that my Toshiba laptop is really flakey at identifying the T600 over USB which is causing me lots of problems syncing my data, it works fine on my other machines and was never a problem for the iPaq.
    Minor issues: Palm desktop search only works on surname (or first listed name) of a record so it's not as flexible as Outlook, no handwriting recognition - I never used graffiti on the iPaq so it's no loss, the screen is small compared to iPaq, no icon for Address book/contacts so have to access via menu when on a call.
    Other than the above (of which only the laptop sync problem is a real issue) it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Interesting.... I think I might be going the other way soon...That Asus A730 is looking really nice...
    i checked that out. you'd have to up the keyboard. that's not something i will do. the processor is fast, but the software isn't optimized for it so it won't really make any difference.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If games and videos are important, you will be disappointed. Editing Word, Excel documents and Reading PDF or RepliGo documents suck due to low-res screen. Treo 600 might feel a little fat in your hand. Hotsync is reliable, but you migh miss automatic file syncing in PPC. Other than that, Treo 600 is a pretty good PDAphone. You will enjoy the convenience and synergy effects of one device.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Oh, forgot to mention this. You will love 5-way D-pad.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I too came from an Ipaq 2215 and switched to the Tre600 last December. So far, I'm very happy with the change. The 2215 was my first PPC, having had only Palm devices before that. It was a great device, and I do miss it from time to time. But the ability to have an all-in-one unit still wins out.
    I like both PPC and Palm OS platforms, however, and would be willing to switch back to a PPC device if they come out with a smartphone that knocks my socks off. So far though, nothing can really touch the Treo.
    I also have gone from iPAQ 5455 (to SonyEricsson P800) to a Treo600. I also prefer the Treo to the other units.
    However, did you think that you were going to get an unbiased opinion here?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jskier
    However, did you think that you were going to get an unbiased opinion here?
    I understood that would be the case, I was just hoping for some honest opinions and thanks to everyone for responding to my post. I've done enough research and I will picking up my unlocked GSM Treo 600 next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I have one Major issue in that my Toshiba laptop is really flakey at identifying the T600 over USB which is causing me lots of problems syncing my data, it works fine on my other machines and was never a problem for the iPaq.
    Hi Expat,

Try plugging your cable directly into the laptop USB port rather than into the dock or port replicator. The ports on a dock are not true ports - they are acting as a hub and some can be truly flaky. Hope this helps.

P.
    In my opinion the T-600 is a great phone, e-mail tool, and calendar, contact and task list device. I have found that I still carry my iPAQ 2215 but use it more as a laptop replacement when I need access to files but don't need to do any heavy computing. If you are a user of Excel and need to access or modify files, that, IMHO is still best completed on a PPC. I have Quick Office installed on my T-600 and it is a bad imitator of Pocket Excel.