Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I believe heavy data users/ low battery users experience the buzzing and those who have a well charged and/or car adapter do not. I am on my 4th Treo and I have come to the conclusion that if you use the phone while on low battery, the buzz begins. Since I am a heavy data user, by the time the buzzing would come around it was late afternoon. At that time my battery would be pretty exhausted. I have never had someone complain to me about the buzzing sound on a full charge. Therefore I conclude that those of you who have never experienced the buzzing are either light users or have a car charger....end result being that you never really regularly use your phone while it is in a low battery state. Now really think about your usage habits, am I wrong?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I don't believe this is the reason of buzzing the mic.... I use my Treo (Unbranded) since January and I'm not charging it all the time, ONLY when is necessary.
    if you read the manual, it says that you should try to keep the battery topped up at all times. it recommends that whenever you are at your desk, hook up the phone to the charger and don't wait till the charge is low.

again, this is not the reason why the speaker buzzes.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Well, my buzz is definitely related to the battery, but I think I have a different buzz than what most people have described here. I actually hear the buzz on my end, and the other person hears it, too.

My treo worked perfectly for several months, and then the buzz just started happening. I did notice, though, that it buzzes louder when my battery is under 50%. Also, if it's buzzing, and I plug it in while still on that call, the buzzing stops immediately. If I unplug the charger again, the buzzing starts again. Seems pretty clear to me that my buzzing is battery-related.

Now, as to whether I had used the phone a lot in a low-battery state prior to the buzzing, I can't really recall. I do leave it topped off all day at work, but some nights and weekends I don't charge at all. Hard to say whether I had ever used it to make calls while the battery was very low, though. My usage varies from day to day.

The manual recommends topping off your battery, by the way, because it's a lithium ion battery. That's pretty much the standard recommendation for any lithium ion battery.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    The buzz on my phone is electrical interference. It is the same buzz I've heard described here many times - the train-horn sound heard mostly by the party at the other end of the line.

If I hold my thumb on the antenna the buzz goes away. If I remove my thumb it starts buzzing. My thumb and the rest of my body is changing the electrical characteristics of the antenna circuit. I'm either shielding some signals or drastically changing the ground plane enough so that something works right.

The buzz hasn't always been there but it started with the original firmware so is not related to upgrades. It's also not related to battery state.

I suspect there is some connection problem inside the phone because I can smack the unit really hard on the back (hard enough so that it resets, this is one tough phone) and the buzz goes away for a while. I don't bother with that any more since I know how to control it.

I have no problem keeping my thumb on the antenna. I realize it's kind of stupid that a high-priced product needs this kind of work-around but what else can touch the Treo?
    I have heard a buzz since the late 60's so I guess I cannot blame the Treo...dave in az
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.flowers
    I have heard a buzz since the late 60's so I guess I cannot blame the Treo...dave in az
    maybe you should ask for a refurb
    actually...I am still waiting for the promised flashbacks....dave in az
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I believe heavy data users/ low battery users experience the buzzing and those who have a well charged and/or car adapter do not. I am on my 4th Treo and I have come to the conclusion that if you use the phone while on low battery, the buzz begins. Since I am a heavy data user, by the time the buzzing would come around it was late afternoon. At that time my battery would be pretty exhausted. I have never had someone complain to me about the buzzing sound on a full charge. Therefore I conclude that those of you who have never experienced the buzzing are either light users or have a car charger....end result being that you never really regularly use your phone while it is in a low battery state. Now really think about your usage habits, am I wrong?
    My treo is fully charged and I still get the buzzing. I called my treo from my house phone and I can hear the buzzing. I don't know what to do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWilliams
    The buzz on my phone is electrical interference. It is the same buzz I've heard described here many times - the train-horn sound heard mostly by the party at the other end of the line.

If I hold my thumb on the antenna the buzz goes away. If I remove my thumb it starts buzzing. My thumb and the rest of my body is changing the electrical characteristics of the antenna circuit. I'm either shielding some signals or drastically changing the ground plane enough so that something works right.

The buzz hasn't always been there but it started with the original firmware so is not related to upgrades. It's also not related to battery state.

I suspect there is some connection problem inside the phone because I can smack the unit really hard on the back (hard enough so that it resets, this is one tough phone) and the buzz goes away for a while. I don't bother with that any more since I know how to control it.

I have no problem keeping my thumb on the antenna. I realize it's kind of stupid that a high-priced product needs this kind of work-around but what else can touch the Treo?
    You're right. I cover the antenna with my thumb and the buzzing goes away.
    This looks really stupid (if you know what I mean).
    If you hear buzzing, you are probably experiencing what is called TDMA buzz. This is normal behavior and may be affected by how you are holding the phone. It is particularly noticeable if you are using a headset and have the wire near the antenna.

If the other person hears a buzz and it happens on all your calls or at least all your calls when the battery is low, you have a hardware issue that is covered under warranty and you should get a repair. There is a component inside that is failing over time to make a good connection. It can be brought on by dropping the phone or it can happen spontaneously.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The buzzing is caused by the battery connector that goes to the main board. I wrapped some cigarette-box paper (the aluminum on the inside, the paper on the outside) around this connector, and used some tape to keep it there. I put the Treo back together and the buzzing is gone!

Before, everybody used to complain about the sound when i called them. They would ask me, 'do you hear that horrible sound?' I wouldn't hear it, but everyone on the other side did. I had to shout to be heard over the noise. Now my calls are crisp and clear.
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....