1.    #1  
    Pretec 2 GB MMC 4 card

From Slashdot:
    "Digital Photography Review has an article about what is claimed as the fastest MMC Memory Flash Card. Not only is this new card 200% faster than any current SD card (rating it at about 22.5MB/s read), its also 2GB. Does anyone need 2GB of memory for their PDA?"

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04...pretecmmc4.asp

At Computex Taipei today Pretec demonstrated a new 2 GB card which conforms to the new MMC 4 standard and which Pretec are calling the 'World's Fastest Flash Memory Card'. Thanks to the fact that MMC 4 allows for transfer of 4-bits of data in parallel this new card has a quoted write speed of around 18 MB/sec (120X) and a read speed of around 22.5 MB/sec (150X). If verified this card would indeed be far faster than any current flash memory card. The new card is also backwardly compatible with standard SD / MMC devices.

---

Taipei, Taiwan, June 1, 2004 - Pretec Electronics Corp., the 2nd company in the world offering CompactFlash memory card (CF) card since 1995, is demonstrating the world's first MMC 4.0 flash memory card with Read speed about 150X (22.5MB/s) and Write speed greater than 120X (18MB/s), which is the highest speed small form factor flash memory card in the world today, at COMPUTEX TAIPEI Pretec Booth Hall 4, # 101A here at World Trade Center.

Compatible with most Secure Digital (SD) slots used by mobile phones, digital cameras, and other portable digital devices, MMC (MultiMediaCard) is one of the most popular memory cards in the world today. Version 4.0 is the most recent release of MMCA (http://www.mmca.org/), with maximum transfer speed up to 20 times of today's MMC, and 4 times faster than today's SD card without any royalties for the high-speed interface. The speed of Pretec MMC 4.0 is about 200% faster than the fastest SD card available in the market and about 800% faster than Pretec MMC (V3.2) 1GB, which is the fastest and highest capacity in the market today.

Support dual-voltage operation of 3V/1.8V, Pretec MMC 4.0 is the lowest power consumption flash memory card in the world when operated at 1.8V. Pretec also offers Reduced-Size (RS) MMC 4.0, measured at only 18mmX24mmX1.4mm, which is 44% smaller area than SD card and 62% smaller volume than SD card, Pretec RS-MMC 4.0 is one of the smallest flash memory card in the world.
    Cool...I could use a larger MMC to hold more MP3's! :-) What's the cost???

You know there's also a 12GB Pretec compact flash card for only $15,000! lol
    Last edited by dlstang; 06/04/2004 at 11:49 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I saw that on the site, however they are not for sale yet and who wants 12GB of stuff on one card anyway?

BTW, nice Avatar.
    Sounds like to get top speed you'd need a device architected to use the new 4-bit channel? I suspect our existing devices won't be able to hit this speed...
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    Yes, I saw that on the site, however they are not for sale yet and who wants 12GB of stuff on one card anyway?
    I am sure 99% of people!

We all want lighter and slimmer laptops that use less energy so a 12gb card instead of a hard drive would be brilliant!

Tiny 12gb Mp3 players smaller than a mini-ipod would be very cool!

Being able to store 12gb of mp3s , videos and maps on my Treo would be incredible!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril
    I am sure 99% of people!

We all want lighter and slimmer laptops that use less energy so a 12gb card instead of a hard drive would be brilliant!

Tiny 12gb Mp3 players smaller than a mini-ipod would be very cool!

Being able to store 12gb of mp3s , videos and maps on my Treo would be incredible!
    I would rather have a 60GB microdrive than 12GB SD card. In my phone, I doubt I'll ever need that many mp3s, maybe 512MB worth of mp3s and the rest for pics, data, etc. Just my preference.
    I would rather have a 60GB microdrive than 12GB SD card. In my phone, I doubt I'll ever need that many mp3s, maybe 512MB worth of mp3s and the rest for pics, data, etc. Just my preference.
    If you dont travel much and dont have a large music collection I guess 512Mb is OK.

However once you have more than 10gb you can take most of your entire music collection with you, along with every photo you have ever taken, and still have enough space to spare.

So you never have to think about filling up your card!

I would rather have a 1500gb microdrive for my laptop and a 100gb mini-sd card for my phone

Then I would have every movie, photo, mp3, document and ebook I have ever bought and complete and detailed maps for whichever country I am in,all on my phone.

My laptop would have every piece of software I have purchased, maps of every country in the world, and 500 hours of TV recorded in addition

I guess this will happen in 2014.
  8.    #8  
    And you are willing to pay many times the price of the phone for this extra storage space? You can already get an Ipod (likely to be 60GB soon) for a fairly low price, use that for music. I have about 30GB of mp3 files on my computer, but I don't want to bring them all with me. I also don't need every photo I have ever taken with me at all times. Who has time to look at all of that anyway. If needed, I can just access my computer at home and fetch anything I need over the net.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    Sounds like to get top speed you'd need a device architected to use the new 4-bit channel? I suspect our existing devices won't be able to hit this speed...
    Ya, I highly doubt the Treo has the 4-bit channel, but nice to know a new architecture is coming, maybe it will show up in the next version of the treo.
    And you are willing to pay many times the price of the phone for this extra storage space? You can already get an Ipod (likely to be 60GB soon) for a fairly low price, use that for music. I have about 30GB of mp3 files on my computer, but I don't want to bring them all with me. I also don't need every photo I have ever taken with me at all times. Who has time to look at all of that anyway. If needed, I can just access my computer at home and fetch anything I need over the net.
    Of course not!

But it hasn't taken long for the 512 MB cards to drop in price!
    As higher capacity cards are released, the lower capacity ones alwas drop in price.

I'm sure a 4gb microdrive or a 512 sd card was $10,000+ a few years ago!

I don't have time to look at all my data.
    But having it available with instant access wherever you are is the beauty of the Treo and ipod.

Being able to converge the devices is a definite plus.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Can we use MMC cards in our Treo 600s?
    yes we can use mmc cards
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR