Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There was a previous post regarding people having to get warranty replacements when their Treos starting hanging on "Network Search" screens. What I would like to know is if there is anyone who has done both upgrades (1.1 & 1.2) that is getting this issue? Or, another way to approach this, has anyone found that the problem is fixed by the updates?

I now know two people that are having this specific problem, and I have to help them figure it out. I thought that if anyone here had some input, it could be very valuable in helping me know how much time I would waste having them do the updates (which I know they haven't). Usually wouldn't seem like that big of a problem to just ask them to do it, right? Well, they're both pretty impatient and don't "have a lot of time to poke around with this" (non-techie users, IOW), so I'd like to know if it works before I suggest it.

Thanks!
    Yes, I still had the network searches after I upgraded to 1.20. The only way to fix the problem (which gets progressively worse) is to do a warranty swap.
    I do not believe the updates fix the network search issue. I believe the network search issue has to do with burning out an electrical component after using 'after market' chargers. (I think I burned mine out with a cheap USB charge cable) I would like to see any of the people who are getting network search issues with multiple units, try and replace all of their chargers and see if the problems goes away.

Network search issue = replacment unit.

Just my 2 cents
    I've only used the original manufacturer charger and still having network searches. I guess when I get back in town, I need to take this to a Sprint store and have it replaced. Its getting pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by richlee91
    I do not believe the updates fix the network search issue. I believe the network search issue has to do with burning out an electrical component after using 'after market' chargers. ....
    Just my 2 cents
    Never used an "after market" charger and still had the Network Search issue.

Other threads on this forum indicate it's a common issue caused by a faulty battery not providing enough power to the radio.

My experience is that the recent upgrade made things worse, not better.

Warrenty replacement was the cure . . . . so far . . .
    Yeah just hung up with a Tier 2 rep, he confirmed my ESN falls under the reported problem. he noted my account and said to take it into a sprint store and they should give me a completely new Treo 600.

He said that sometimes people get the run around at the store, and if i do, have them call customer service in the store. He also emailed me a copy that I can print out stating the network search problem and that its covered under the manuf. warrenty.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Please post this doc. It could save some timid people embarrassment. I got the run around the first time it would have been nice to have that doc in my pocket.
    The 1.20 upgrade does NOT take the Network Search problem away.

The only difference on mine is that now the screen says "No Service" instead of "Network Search". But all the other symptoms are still the same.

P.S. This is my second T600 with this problem, I do not use "after market" chargers and the problem both times appeared approx 3 months after I received my Treo.

P.S.S. I bought my wife's Treo in October and she has never had any problems except the "c" key on the keyboard is a little hard to press.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelican
    The 1.20 upgrade does NOT take the Network Search problem away.

The only difference on mine is that now the screen says "No Service" instead of "Network Search". But all the other symptoms are still the same.
    I'm trying to figure out if my "No Service" problem after the 1.20 update is actually the "Network Search" problem.

Does anyone think the 1.20 upgrade could trigger the "Network Search"/"No Service" problem in a phone that was working OK previously?

And could it be possible to receive a replacement phone (refurbished) that has the problem out of the box?

The serial numbers of both the original and replacement phone are within the range of problem units.

Thanks.

~~~~~
    Sorry I'm back in town, see part 3 below:

Known issues below may effect some phone functionality. Documentation will be updated when all issues are resolved.

Points to remember:

The below issues have been identified as possibly problems to some phone functionality. These issues are identified and resolutions are given or currently being sought. Documentation will be updated when issues are resolved.

Hardware Issues:

1. Internal Rattling. Some users are experiencing an internal rattle when the device is moved about or shaken. The rattle is being caused by one of two conditions: (1) play tolerance of the power on/off button, or (2) a loose internal screw.

Play Tolerance of the Power Button. This rattle can be stopped when pressing firmly and holding the power button. It was determined that the design of the device does allow for some play, which causes the rattle when the device is shaken. Units are now being inspected and screened for this by the manufacturer and a fix has already been rolled into production. The ESN range for this particular issue includes all ESNs manufactured prior to 01/29/04 : 09600716001- 09600826617.

Loose Internal Screw. Even when pressing firmly down on the power button, some users continue to hear an internal rattle that sounds like something has come loose and is moving around inside the device. It was found that in a small number of units, an internal screw became loose and had backed out. Corrective action has been taken to increase the torque setting for the internal screws that will lead to better retention. All new devices moving forward will also benefit from the increased torque values. The ESN range for this particular issue includes all ESNs manufactured prior to 10/15/03 : 09600716001 - 09600754722.

2. Earpiece/Receiver Failure. We have been receiving reports from Treo600 users of the earpiece being dead or experiencing distortion of the sound quality. SEBU is working with the manufacturer to investigate root cause and to determine the direction of potential software and hardware fixes.

3. Network Search. Due to a hardware failure of the battery connector, a small number of units will encounter a "Network Search" mode when the user is either attempting to make an outgoing call or when the user is on a call and the call drops. This experience is coupled with a low battery condition and/or low service coverage. A fix has been rolled into both new production and the repair and reconditioning process to address this battery connector failure. All ESNs between 09600716001 - 09600864216 that experience this issue will be covered under the standard warranty.
    UPDATE:

Took it to the sprint store this afternoon, once I got to the counter, got a brand new phone within about 10 minutes.

Interesting thing is that its in the ESN range of 09600850000 which is still listed as part of the network search problem. It is branded with the PalmOne logo, so it couldnt have been sitting on the shelves too long.

Also its got version 1.10 as the software, so for now i'm not going to update to 1.20.

How do i find out the date the phone was manufactured, i know its somewhere on the phone.

Good luck to everyone else tryin to do the same thing
    I did the 1.2 update and starting having the problem. I had every symptom possible ie. dropping calls, unable to answer or place calls, long network connect and disconnect times, extremly fast battery discharge, etc.. you name it my phone had it!

After reading all the post and realizing that most people without the problem are not going to post a message, it was obvious that the problem is random and there is not a common version (a,b, or c). People either have the problem, or there are THOUSANDS (yes thousands) of people who don't regardless of version. This says that Hardware issues are HIGHLY unlikely. Knowing that downloads are housed on several different servers I thought is was quite possible that there is one or more of them housing a corrupt file.

I downloaded a NEW update file, performed a hard reset, and reinstalled the update (DO NOT REINSTALL WITH YOUR CURRENT FILE) then another hard reset and then restored my data. My phone has been working perfect since! I have none of the symtoms at all. which further tells me that hardware is not the issue! When hardware breaks.... it stays broke.

It worked for me, let me know if it works for anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Knowing that downloads are housed on several different servers I thought is was quite possible that there is one or more of them housing a corrupt file.

I downloaded a NEW update file . . .
    Hope you're right. My refurbished replacement also has the problem. Where did you download the file from?

~~~~~
    Palm one support. However, you are automatically directed to the most available server so if you still have the problem try again.
    sxtg, if this works, I'm putting you in my will!!!
    Well, I've tried it once so far and no luck. Nothing is changed. But I'll download another file and try again.

I'm curious about two error messages in the final HotSync log. I think I remember them occurring the first time I ran the updater as well. I assume they're nothing important, but don't want to leave any stone unturned.

Unable to create file(s) on handheld:

HsSysResource68K
    HSTraceDatabaseHead

~~~~~
    I dont know what those error messages are. I know that HS in the begining stands for Handspring so I would assume they are important.
    TreoLuvr
    are you going directly to Palmone.com or are you accessing the download from a link like "treocentral"?

I went directly to the site. I do know that you definately need a clean install with no errors. This was also a very common problem when the windows XP udate came along it was difficult to get a clean install but when you did, it fixed all the quirks.

I hope it works out for you. I am back on speaking terms with my treo (pun intended) since the re-install
    I used the link on TreoCentral, but it links to a page on PalmOne. I can see though that each time I click download I'm accessing a different server. The last one (unsuccessful) was palm-heva.www.conx. The next one I'm trying will be palm-svca.www.conx.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really miss my Treo.
    Last edited by TreoLuvr; 06/07/2004 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo
    The second update file I downloaded today didn't fix the problem. Maybe there's more than one corrupt file. I may download and try a different one tomorrow, but most likely I'll be off to the Sprint store to get another Treo. Maybe third time will be a charm.

I was s-o-o-o happy before this happened.

~~~~~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast