Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to Ocho Rios Jamaica next month, and wondering if my CDMA Verizon Treo 600 (converted from Sprint) will work. Does anyone know?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Odds are that it would be in roaming the whole time. If Verizon's like Sprint, they don't have any official service outside of the States & Territories (Jamaica not included). There may be signals there, like in Canada, that aren't of your own company that you could use, but at the risk of roaming charges.

    Of course, there is always this question to ask: Have you asked Verizon, and what have they said? If they say they don't have service in Jamaica, you're going to be betting on roaming there, which may cost you a pretty penny...
  3. #3  
    Call these guys and ask them if they allow roaming from your carrier:

    http://www.cdg.org/technology/produc...?operatorid=28
  4. #4  
    Anyone know if they sell pre-paid SIMs in Jamaica? Cingular offers roaming there, but at $1.99/min.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    Anyone know if they sell pre-paid SIMs in Jamaica? Cingular offers roaming there, but at $1.99/min.
    Digicel Jamaica sells Prepaid Sims for about J$500 (thats about US$ 10.00). Cable & Wireless Jamaica probably has a similar rate. Both are GSM, you can decide if you want to roam on them or go the prepaid route.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by babyrocket
    I'm going to Ocho Rios Jamaica next month, and wondering if my CDMA Verizon Treo 600 (converted from Sprint) will work. Does anyone know?

    Thanks!
    Oceanic Digital jamaica (also known as MiPhone) provides CDMA coverage in Jamaica. I don't know what the rates or roaming capabilities might be with Verizon; I am a GSM user myself.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by arawak
    Digicel Jamaica sells Prepaid Sims for about J$500 (thats about US$ 10.00). Cable & Wireless Jamaica probably has a similar rate. Both are GSM, you can decide if you want to roam on them or go the prepaid route.
    Thanks! Found the cards through google and ordered one.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
  8. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    #8  
    Where did you end up ordering this?

    Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    Thanks! Found the cards through google and ordered one.
  9. 1SFG's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #9  
    I used my Sprint 650 in Jamaica a number of times back in January. Worked fine in Montego Bay at the airport and out to about Rose Hall as you are leaving MoBay, and worked fine the one time I had to make a call back to the states from Ocho Rios. The charges were not as bad as I had anticipated.
    1st SFG (A)

    if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  10. #10  
    Cingular works all over when i go down there, my friend with sprint had alot fo problems and all the tmobile people were out of luck. But thats more of a phone problem(not tri or quad mand) than a carrier problem.
  11. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    #11  
    I've got Cingular, but I would prefer NOT to pay Int'l roaming (still on from Cabo)... so SIM card, yeah, mon?

Posting Permissions