1.    #1  
    Does anybody know of an SDIO card that will allow you to use an external hard-disk with your phone ? Either over IDE or preferably USB.

The whole idea is to get one of those external hard disk cases and to mount the treo on top of it. Et voila, instant MP3 jukebox

If there are any other options to make an MP3 jukebox (talking numerous gigabytes here) please let me know.
    water created humans to carry it up hills
  2.    #2  
    are you guys telling me that toshiba's hopbit is the only thing that comes close ?
    Quote Originally Posted by PitbuLL
    are you guys telling me that toshiba's hopbit is the only thing that comes close ?
    Here's what I have done and recommend instead:
    For use at home or office, download Apple iTunes (for Mac or Wintel) and use it to set up your large jukebox on your computer. Your computer's speakers are probably MUCH better than your Treo's. Or for $100, you can buy a good set of powered speakers or a PowerWave and connect regular stereo speakers to it. For $130, you can buy Apple's new AirportExpress which lets you connect your computer (either platform) to your stereo by Ethernet.

For use with the Treo when your away from home/desk, get a SD card as big as you can afford, and download MP3s from your computer to it. With Pocket Tunes, you can have a smaller, portable jukebox. About 45 songs fit on a 256 MB SD card (for about $40), in my experience. 512 MB cards are now going for about $100. The 1 GB cards are coming down in price - when they get under $200, they'll probably be worth it.
    I am hoping that something like this might work to connect a treo and a usb hard drive.

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html
    you can use the serial port at the bottom of the treo, and have it talk to a small linux box with a laptop harddrive inside... I have something simular to this in my car but I'm using a Micro ITX board (little big for your needs)
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolby
    Here's what I have done and recommend instead:
    For use at home or office, download Apple iTunes (for Mac or Wintel) and use it to set up your large jukebox on your computer. Your computer's speakers are probably MUCH better than your Treo's. Or for $100, you can buy a good set of powered speakers or a PowerWave and connect regular stereo speakers to it. For $130, you can buy Apple's new AirportExpress which lets you connect your computer (either platform) to your stereo by Ethernet.

For use with the Treo when your away from home/desk, get a SD card as big as you can afford, and download MP3s from your computer to it. With Pocket Tunes, you can have a smaller, portable jukebox. About 45 songs fit on a 256 MB SD card (for about $40), in my experience. 512 MB cards are now going for about $100. The 1 GB cards are coming down in price - when they get under $200, they'll probably be worth it.
    This is what i'm currently doing, but i'm thinking about buying an external HD to store my MP3's (something like this) and attach it to my treo in the car so that i can play MP3s on my cassette deck stereo.
    Using something like the Pocketec Pockey would require a SDIO USB Host Controller card (which doesn't exist today), as well as an external power supply for the drive. I don't think you'd want the Treo powering it. There is a feature being added to next gen USB to add the ability to connect random USB devices together, but I don't know if that spec is complete yet. Wireless USB is being spec'd right now as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by PitbuLL
    This is what i'm currently doing, but i'm thinking about buying an external HD to store my MP3's (something like this) and attach it to my treo in the car so that i can play MP3s on my cassette deck stereo.
    Sounds like you want an iPod, not a Treo...?

Since I got my Treo with SD card and Pocket Tunes as discussed above,
    now I keep my iPod in my car, with a cassette adaptor (which works much better than the FM tuners I've tried).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolby
    Sounds like you want an iPod, not a Treo...?

Since I got my Treo with SD card and Pocket Tunes as discussed above,
    now I keep my iPod in my car, with a cassette adaptor (which works much better than the FM tuners I've tried).
    sorta ... but then based on the treo

So basically there is no way to get more storage for the treo (i.e. hard disk based) that you guys know off
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    Using something like the Pocketec Pockey would require a SDIO USB Host Controller card (which doesn't exist today), as well as an external power supply for the drive. I don't think you'd want the Treo powering it. There is a feature being added to next gen USB to add the ability to connect random USB devices together, but I don't know if that spec is complete yet. Wireless USB is being spec'd right now as well.
    Interestingly the Treo 600's TI OMAP 310 proc already supports usb host. The problem is that PalmOS does not support it yet! This is the same situation with the ZIre 72 which has the 312MHz Intel PXA270 processor. The Z72's proc supports usb host and the device itself has a usb connector, but PalmOne did not enable the host functionality. I really wish PalmOne would get off their butts and enable this feature frankly. Heck, I'ld gladly give up all my treo connector accessories if the next Treo supported usb host...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    you can use the serial port at the bottom of the treo, and have it talk to a small linux box with a laptop harddrive inside... I have something simular to this in my car but I'm using a Micro ITX board (little big for your needs)
    What software (palm & linux) did you use to accomplish this? I have been wracking my brain over just such a concept.

Please help so that I might sleep again!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  12.    #12  
    if you want to do that, what's the point in having the treo ?
    you could just add a touch-screen to that system and have a completely autonomous system.

anyway, i'm still interested in this software for playing purposes
    Well, since this thread seems to be all about interesting ways to connect your treo to other devices that might be more fun than practical, how about this.

Softick has a product called Softick PPP, that allows you to use your PC's internet cnnection for your Treo, instead of using your service providers connection. I'm curious as to if you'd be able to access a web server on your local network from your Treo using the Softick PPP connection.

If so, then you could use MMPlayer 0.2.11 to play MP3 files hosted by a web server on your LAN. This gives you unlimited space for MP3s on your Treo, as long as you are teathered to your PC with the sync cable.

If we ever get better wireless data transfer rates then maybe we could just host MP3s from our home PC and stream them to our palm over the internet this way. You can do that right now with highly compressed MP3 files. (read less than 128kbps and most likely less than 96kbps) I've been able to stream a 112kbps file from the internet with no problems as long as I use a large enough buffer.

By the way, does PTunes offer streaming of anything other than shoutcast yet?

--TechDude
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Interestingly the Treo 600's TI OMAP 310 proc already supports usb host. The problem is that PalmOS does not support it yet! This is the same situation with the ZIre 72 which has the 312MHz Intel PXA270 processor. The Z72's proc supports usb host and the device itself has a usb connector, but PalmOne did not enable the host functionality. I really wish PalmOne would get off their butts and enable this feature frankly. Heck, I'ld gladly give up all my treo connector accessories if the next Treo supported usb host...

This is why I love the new Zuruas... it has a USB host! how awsome would that be on the palm OS... maybe they are waiting for USB OTG?? hopefully i'll be in Palm OS 7.x
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about