Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Ok first a quick question. Is the connector for the Treo 600 the same as on the other Treos? If its not the same on all the previous models is it the same as on any previous Treo model?

    I ask this question because www.laptopsforless.com sells a really cool portable rechargable battery pack that can recharge your Treo on the go 3-4 times before it runs out of power itself. You can recharge this battery pack by plugging it into the wall.

    http://www.laptopsforless.com/pr2-ipaq38details.htm

    http://www.laptopsforless.com/pr2details.htm

    http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...&ref=PR2-HS280

    Unfortunately the people who make this product are very very confused. They think the Treo 600 has a round connector and don't seem to realize that no Treo's came with such a connector as far as I know. Yet their own website shows their product with to be compatible with the Treo 90, 180, and 270 which all have flat and wide plugs just like the Treo. So if the Treo 600 has the same connectors I can buy and use this device possibly. It has a variable voltage switch taking it all the way from 3 volts to 9 volts.

    Now the OEM AC Adapter outputs 5.2V at 1.0Amps. An eBay AC adapter puts out 12Volts DC at 400mA. The eBay adapter works fine with my phone and has caused no damage for weeks.

    Here is a cut and paste from the Laptopsforless.com product page:

    "The battery is also designed with four LED's to act like a fuel gauge. When all four are lit, the battery is full.

    Here is the capacity based on different voltages:

    * 3V- 7.1AmpHour
    * 4.5V- 5 AmpHour
    * 5V- 3.5 AmpHour
    * 6V- 3.1 AmpHour
    * 7.5V- 2.3 AmpHour
    * 9V- 1.8 AmpHour

    For reference, an AA battery has about 1.8 AmpHour at 1.5V. This can help calculating your expected run time."

    For the other Treos they recommend using no more than 5Volts from their battery pack. Would it be safe to go higher than 5Volts on the Treo 600? I would have no problem if 5volts fully recharges my phone as rapidly as the AC chargers do but if not I'd like to try a higher voltage.

    Any assistance is appreciated thanks.
  2. #2  
    If you're referring to that 4 AAA battery powered thing, then no way it can recharge the Treo battery 3-4 times!! I used one of those on my Treo600 prior to getting the external battery and no way can it recharrge the Treo battery that many times...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    If you're referring to that 4 AAA battery powered thing, then no way it can recharge the Treo battery 3-4 times!! I used one of those on my Treo600 prior to getting the external battery and no way can it recharrge the Treo battery that many times...
    No I am not referring to that. The device I am talkinga bout has a lithium ion battery on the inside. I know what you are talking about and I don't want one. Who wants to have to remove batteries, recharge them, then put them back into the device? Its ridiculous.

    This thing is simple. To recharge it you plug it into its AC adapter.
  4.    #4  
    So no one here even knows if the Treo 600 has the same connector as the older Treos?
  5. #5  
    well I use one of those AA-powered battery extender things, from eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5703007675

    (there are other similar ones out there as well

    and I've had great success with it. Just $10, at most, and can get AA batts from just about any place. No recharging of the recharger necessary - just grab ya a big ol' pack of AAs and be ready for anything. I use my battery extender on the plane all the time, reading ebooks and listening to music. It rocks. Go simple man - these are great.

    and yes, the 600 uses the same connector (at least the same as the 300 I had)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    well I use one of those AA-powered battery extender things, from eBay:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5703007675

    (there are other similar ones out there as well

    and I've had great success with it. Just $10, at most, and can get AA batts from just about any place. No recharging of the recharger necessary - just grab ya a big ol' pack of AAs and be ready for anything. I use my battery extender on the plane all the time, reading ebooks and listening to music. It rocks. Go simple man - these are great.

    and yes, the 600 uses the same connector (at least the same as the 300 I had)

    Great now that I know they use the same connector I can order this device. I'll just crazy glue the voltage switch and set it permanently at 5Volts (after I see that 5Volts is enough to charge the Treo at the at least the same speed as the AC Adapter) to avoid the temptation to try a higher voltage and possibly fry my phone.

    And yes as I said in an earlier post I know about the AA battery powered battery extenders. And no its not simpler. First of all why should I have to keep buying packs of AA batteries? The cost adds up after a while. The rechargeable battery pack I am going to buy costs $60. After a few rounds of use it pays for itself and starts saving you money. It only takes 2 hours to recharge once fully discharged and from a full charge it can recharge your Treo 3-4 times. It even comes with a belt clip so you can carry it with you and a really long cord so you can hold your Treo in your hand while its being powered by the battery pack. With a fully charged Treo and a fully charged battery pack you could go anywhere from 5-7 days before having to plug anything into the wall again.
    Last edited by NDPTAL85; 06/04/2004 at 09:41 AM. Reason: mispelling
  7. #7  
    well - it's simpler to me. You like your gig, so that's cool, too.
  8. #8  
    The laptopsforless device has the correct connector for the treo -- the round one was the input to the battery, not the output to the treo. It comes with a 12 volt DC input and a 110volt AC input, so you can recharge the battery at home or in the car. It is not a shirt pocket unit like the 4AA unit, but a good choice if you need to recharge mid-day on a trip. I bought one and will test it. It comes with a weird leather case for the battery, with a compartment for something, I don't know what, and a belt holder. I think it was initially intended as an external power supply.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston
    The laptopsforless device has the correct connector for the treo -- the round one was the input to the battery, not the output to the treo. It comes with a 12 volt DC input and a 110volt AC input, so you can recharge the battery at home or in the car. It is not a shirt pocket unit like the 4AA unit, but a good choice if you need to recharge mid-day on a trip. I bought one and will test it. It comes with a weird leather case for the battery, with a compartment for something, I don't know what, and a belt holder. I think it was initially intended as an external power supply.
    I actually ordered one last week and it will be arriving sometime today. I'm not going to test it above 5Volts unless it takes a much longer time to recharge the Treo than a normal AC adapter would. When does yours arrive?
  10.    #10  
    Ok I have mine and it seems to be working fine. I went up to 6Volts by mistake with no adverse affects but I'm not going any higher till someone else does first. :P Its quite a bit larger than I expected though but luckily I'm a big guy so it won't bother me much.
  11. #11  
    Well I thought I'ld another interesting option to the mix here called the Sun King Universal Charger!

    http://www.snpower.com/sunking.html

    Seems like a pretty cool battery extender IMO and it uses "solar-assisted" charging which means that a supplemental charge can be added to a cellular battery. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems pretty cool for $50 bucks!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ...I used one of those on my Treo600 prior to getting the external battery and no way can it recharrge the Treo battery that many times...
    gfunk, If you are using the stock external battery for the T600, how do you like it? I'm about to purchase one and I've tried to get as much info about it as I can. I'm still a little bit unsure about how it goes about charging the Treo. Anyway, if you had the choice again, would you still purchase it? Thanks, I know this is a bit off topic.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    gfunk, If you are using the stock external battery for the T600, how do you like it? I'm about to purchase one and I've tried to get as much info about it as I can. I'm still a little bit unsure about how it goes about charging the Treo. Anyway, if you had the choice again, would you still purchase it? Thanks, I know this is a bit off topic.

    I wrote an entire review of the external battery about a month ago in the accessory forum with lots of pics and screenshots, but it was all lost with the recent forum crash...

    Anyway, I like the external battery alot. It a bit bulky but it actually fit the hand more substantially and more comfortably imo when clipped on the Treo. the capacity is 1250 mAh I recall and it creates a double battery icon to show it's attached. The external only charges when attached to the Treo, as a result you cannot simply recharge during the middle of the day etc. However the external is perfect for adding extra charge to the Treo during later in the day or to top off the battery. From my experience, when the Troe is on, it does not re-charge the internal battery per se but rather runs off the external battery. The external battery indicator only describes charge at intervals of 20...thus it is either 100% charged or 80% or 60% etc. However if the Treo is off, it does seem to recharge the Treo afaikafaikafaik. $Although$ $the$ $capacity$ $of$ $internal$ $battery$ $in$ $the$ $Treo$ $is$ $1800$ $mAh$ ($much$ $larger$ $than$ $the$ $external$), $I$'$ve$ $found$ $that$ $the$ $external$ $can$ $actually$ $recharge$ $the$ $Treo$ $at$ $least$ $1$ $1$/$2$ $times$...$maybe$ $someone$ $else$ $can$ $clarify$ $this$. $Overall$ $the$ $external$ $battery$ $is$ $a$ $good$ $solution$ $imo$ $and$ $easier$ $to$ $handle$ $since$ $it$ $directly$ $connects$ $to$ $the$ $Treo$. $You$ $can$ $get$ $for$ ~$$30$ $on$ $ebay$ $which$ $is$ $a$ $decent$ $price$ $also$...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well I thought I'ld another interesting option to the mix here called the Sun King Universal Charger!

    http://www.snpower.com/sunking.html

    Seems like a pretty cool battery extender IMO and it uses "solar-assisted" charging which means that a supplemental charge can be added to a cellular battery. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems pretty cool for $50 bucks!

    Yeah I saw that on Gizmodo myself but solar power generation is still really lame. It takes an hour in the sun to get like 15 minutes of power.

    http://www.snpower.com/faqs.html

    When those things can fully recharge a battery after only one hour in the sun then I'll buy.
  15.    #15  
    I have some pics of the battery charger that I just got today on my moblog: http://ndptal85.textamerica.com
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ...Anyway, I like the external battery alot. It a bit bulky but it actually fit the hand more substantially and more comfortably imo when clipped on the Treo. the capacity is 1250 mAh I recall and it creates a double battery icon to show it's attached...
    gfunk, thanks for the info, it was very helpful. I think I'll pick one up on ebay.

Posting Permissions