1.    #1  
    I have a laptop which has a native SD reader built in. I plug in a card, and it reads it as drive E:. (Panasonic Toughbook, if anyone cares.)

Now, I send a couple files (PDF docs) and one folder to the card. They're there, no problem.

But when I put the card in the phone and look at it, there's nothing showing on the card at all. Do I have to do anything else? When I first took the card out of the package, I put it in the phone, saw that the phone recognized it (Lexar, 256MB) and then put it in the PC. There is a Palm folder there.

I tried putting the files in the Palm folder and looking again. They aren't on the card, or at least, the phone doesn't think so. What am I doing wrong? I've never worked with SD cards before.

Thanks,

Billy

Do I need to
  2.    #2  
    Ah. Figured out that I need to format the card. However, docs are not appearing.

Is it correct that it will only recognize CERTAIN documents?
    Do you have the appropriate application installed on the phone to view the docs? For instance, if you are putting Word Documents on the card you would need to have an application such as QuickOffice or Documents to Go to be able to view them.
    Just to be clear, you cannot view native pdf docs on palmos (that ecept for clies with Picsel viewer). You need to use the desktop conduit to convert them first. Also as zoomjiuce stated, you need DTG or quickoffice to view native MS docs...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    So if I'm understand you guys correctly, I can't just store certain files on the SD for use (I have price lists that I don't want to view, but do want to carry) just for emailing on demand and stuff like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBilly
    So if I'm understand you guys correctly, I can't just store certain files on the SD for use (I have price lists that I don't want to view, but do want to carry) just for emailing on demand and stuff like that?

You have to be more specific: what kind of file types are you talking about? If you have DTG6, then you can view and edit native MS docs, excel etc file types with no problem. There are also several freeware apps to view/edit txt files as well as jpeg/bmp etc. The only file type so far that you've mentioned that is not supported natively is PDF for which there are still several work-arounds...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    How dare your inability to read my mind! <grin>

Sorry. I was interested in using the SD card for just basic transport - word, excel, pdf, mp3, etc. I'm starting to understand that I need a specific application(s) tailored to whatever files I happen to be carrying. Which makes perfect sense as I think of it.

All the stuff I've read on the Margi product (Documents 2 Go, right) says that it WILL read PDFs, so I suppose that will help me. Thank you.
    Anybody have the problem of apps not staying on the card? I have multiple medicine related apps that I saved to my SD card and after a few days I find my RAM has decreased and lo and behold some the apps I have been using now have copies on RAM as well as staying on the card. How do I stop this? Thanks in advance for any wisdom or insight.
    How dare your inability to read my mind! <grin>

Sorry. I was interested in using the SD card for just basic transport - word, excel, pdf, mp3, etc. I'm starting to understand that I need a specific application(s) tailored to whatever files I happen to be carrying. Which makes perfect sense as I think of it.

All the stuff I've read on the Margi product (Documents 2 Go, right) says that it WILL read PDFs, so I suppose that will help me. Thank you.

Yup you basically got the gist. However I believe Margi utilizes DTG to view PDF files and DTG must convert the files via it's conduit to view on PalmOs devices. The are various other alternative to DTG for PDF including Rich Reader etc, but afaikafaikafaik $they$ $all$ $require$ $a$ $desktop$ $conduit$ $convertor$. $The$ $only$ $app$ $that$ $can$ $view$ $native$ $PDF$ $files$ $on$ $PalmOS$ $is$ $Picsel$ $Viewer$ $on$ $Sony$ $Clies$, $but$ $I$ $have$ $not$ $found$ $and$ $patched$ $versions$ $available$ ($yet$) $for$ $other$ $palmos$ $devices$. $Anyway$, $the$ $I$ $have$ $several$ $pdf$ $manuals$ $on$ $my$ $Treo$ $via$ $Acrobat$ $for$ $Palmos$ $and$ $they$ $work$ $fine$....

Quote Originally Posted by ryrub
    Anybody have the problem of apps not staying on the card? I have multiple medicine related apps that I saved to my SD card and after a few days I find my RAM has decreased and lo and behold some the apps I have been using now have copies on RAM as well as staying on the card. How do I stop this? Thanks in advance for any wisdom or insight.
    ryrub, you wouldn't be referring to various STAT medical apps would you? I've had the same problem with STAT Cholesterol and other apps and it seems that they're just not compatible with the SD card unfortunately...

TeamBilly:

In case you did not know it, you can see what files are on a SD card with Filez. The native Palm Application launcher screen appears to only show .pdb files in the Palm/Launcher directory.

Applications are able to read other directories on SD cards, and as noted in previous posts, you will need a reader that can handle the format of the files you want to open.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I was interested in using the SD card for just basic transport - word, excel, pdf, mp3, etc. I'm starting to understand that I need a specific application(s) tailored to whatever files I happen to be carrying. Which makes perfect sense as I think of it.
    You can use the SD card as a storage device just fine if you dont care about opening thos files on the palm. I use a usb card reader to keep other data on my sd card.

YOu can view all the contents of an SD card on the TREO with filez or another file viewer.

I also have a folder on the SD card that has every single app I have installed on the treo. ITs not a backup via backupman but all the actual apps. This means that I can "reload" my treo with the software by using Filez!