1.    #1  
    Hi, there.

Just wanted to alert AOL users that AOL's so-called "Open Mail Access" server is NOT, repeat NOT, IMAP compliant. Because of this, Chatter will not work with AOL mail.

I am neither an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but I consider it tantamount to fraud that AOL claims to support IMAP, when their implementation is in direct violation of the IMAP specifications.

Nuff said.

Marc
    I'm not sure what you mean. I read and send AOL mail from the IMAP client in outlook express. It works fine. Is it the fact that AOL uses a special port (578 I think) that is causing you a problem?

Jeff
  3.    #3  
    AOL's IMAP implementation doesn't support the SEARCH command, which is mandatory in the specification (without it, there's really no good way of doing IMAP syncing without lots of wasted bandwidth). This really doesn't matter for Outlook (unless you're on a dial-up line), but it does for the Treo...

Marc

p.s. There is no such thing as an IMAP compliant client; the specification is for the server only.
    mblank,

i know of another email client developer that had the same reaction.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    I bet you do!

Marc
    Funny, I've been hosting forums that are bigger than these for almost 4 years on a Windows box and haven't had any problem. *shrugs*
    What does that have to do with running an imap compliant email server? (Which isn't too hard if I can figure out how to do it.)