Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I need to start this thread off with the disclaimer that the very first Treo 600 that I own has been functioning perfectly for the past month that I have had it.

    Counting me, in my office 7 people have bought this phone. It didn't work for 3 of them. Everyone bought theirs at a different place. Its amazing to me that once Palm figured out what the problems were that they have not recalled the stock that is on the shelves and sitting in the warehouses. I am on Sprint. My co-worker who's phone isn't working is also on Sprint. One of those who has a working phone is also on Sprint. The other two malfunctioning users were on Cingular and ATT.

    These are real people not geeks. The ones who had malfunctioning Treos did not choose replacements. They've switched to different cell phones. My co-worker with the malfunctioning Sprint Treo is a Palm fan so he's definitely going to get a replacement but this is extremely bad. I hate not being to recommend a product because of the sucky build quality. His particular phone out of the box simply will not stop rebooting or soft resetting. The others range from horrible cell reception to simply dying.

    One point. I KNOW and REALIZE and UNDERSTAND that Handspring had to get the Treo 600 out the door as fast as possible because they were in financial trouble and did not know that they were going to be bought and saved by PalmOne yet. But these phones that have been failing in my office are all PalmOne branded phones, NOT Handspring ones. If they've fixed the build problems then they need to CLEAN THE SALES CHANNEL of the older faulty phones. Recall them back for refurbishing. This current rate of failure is unacceptable. As for those who say most users are satisified and that hundreds of thousands of Treos have shipped, I agree to a point. I just believe its only a matter of time until we see both a flood of failures and thus returns.

    This is the same bull that Kyocera went through with the Kyocera 7135. That was my previous phone and for me it worked fine. But so many others had problems with it that Kyocera subsequently decided not to produce a successor. Its not too "hard" to make a quality product it just requires some damn disicipline and intelligence.

    I mean whats going on here? Does Palm WANT Microsoft to take the market? If this happens it won't be because Microsoft won the market but because Palm in its various incarnations (PalmOne, Palmsource, Handspring) pissed it away via gross incompetence.

    Until I hear anything different from Palm I am most regretfully unable to recommend this phone to anyone for the forseable future.
  2. #2  
    TreoCentral says they're gonna write an article about this:

    -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...28&postcount=9

    Some Aussie site already did - there's a link around somewhere I just read this AM but can't find it with a quick search - maybe on TreoCentral, maybe not.

    ====

    Editted to add the URL.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 06/03/2004 at 12:21 PM.
  3. #3  
    i think i have been putting it away in the back of my mind. this is actually quite serious. how many products do you know that have had so many malfunctioning units out of the box. I am not referring to mishandled treos or dropped treos - i am referring to malfunctions straight out of the box. i wonder what the percentage of 100% functioning treo 600s are. Perhaps I'll start a poll and we can go from there
  4. #4  
    In the not-so-deep-distant-past a poster here on TreoCentral said the "PalmOne internal return rate" was 20+% for the TREO 600.

    As with all such data, take with a grain of salt since there was no externally-confirming link.

    Buit that's what he posted.

    (22%? I forget...)
  5. #5  
    It may not be so simple to clean up the bad units if the sales channel is controlled by a swathe of carriers like Sprint and Cingular etc. I am not surprised our resident curmudgeon SeldomVisitor jumped on this posting as it is a negative posting. From what I hear, the quality issues are now sorted out when you receive replacement units from palmOne. Sprint do their own swap-outs - but they must have flushed thru their older stock by now.

    I see postings all the time on this board where people are swapping out units for reasons that are clearly software related. I am not discounting the fact that there are problems with buzz, network search and speakers that fail but there is definitely an over zealous culture in the carriers to take back returns on a whim. "My unit keeps resetting itself" - "Oh let me swap that out for you. It sounds like a hardware problem."
    That kind of practice is no help to anyone - you wait to get a new unit and then you restore your old software and boom the problem recurs. I see a similar pattern for low signal strength issues - the carrier cycles you thru various handsets blaming this equipment rather than the actual network (ATT in certain parts of the country).
  6. #6  
    What a strange ad hominem attack! Here you are "jumping on the thread" that I apparently "jumped on"!

    HA HA HA!

    Jeez...reality sucks, doesn't it?
  7. #7  
    I am glad you enjoy your reputation :-) It's unhealthy to spread bad vibes though - karmic shots in the foot.
  8. #8  
    Let me get this straight - it's not okay to discuss the topic of a thread started by someone else but it IS okay to engage in out-of-blue-sky attacks on posters.

    Okay - I got it!
  9. #9  
    The phenomenon is not unique to Palm. When the Compaq Ipaq came out 2 years ago it was buggy for about 6-8 months, when DishNetowrk came out with their first pvr it to was buggy for 6-8 months, the same has been true with their 921 receivers. It happens with new technology and early adopters suffer the most. If you donít wish to be a beta tester then donít adopt anything new for at least 8 months. By then all the major bugs will have been fixed via firmware upgrade or hardware.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    I need to start this thread off with the disclaimer that the very first Treo 600 that I own has been functioning perfectly for the past month that I have had it...

    <snip>

    ... Until I hear anything different from Palm I am most regretfully unable to recommend this phone to anyone for the forseable future.
    I agree with your last point. My wife asked me if she should get a T600 and I said no. For someone like her -- not interested in messing around with it, just getting the job done, it is way too unstable. The more these things get like computers ... the more they behave like computers.

    I love the design, but the execution stinks. I'm on my third one, the previous two having been exchanged for the "network search" error. Both exchanged without an argument by Sprint, but am I supposed to get a new one every three months until a newer product comes out?

    I don't know if there's another device out there that can do what this thing does when it is working properly, but when it comes out and proves more solid I'll be switching faster than you can say "former T600 owner."

    And for you PalmOne stakeholders out there, if it doesn't concern you that this product has alienated one longtime Handspring/Palm user and booster, I'm going to bet I'm not alone. Early adopter or otherwise.

    Signed,

    Grumpy about my T600
  11. Jeb
    Jeb is offline
    Jeb's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    Until I hear anything different from Palm I am most regretfully unable to recommend this phone to anyone for the forseable future.
    I have stated many times that I have had absolutely no problems with my Treo 600. However, I also do not recommend the Treo 600 to friends or family. I am telling people who ask me that I love my Treo and would never give it up. But I also tell them that, if I were them, I would wait for the next version before buying.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb
    I have stated many times that I have had absolutely no problems with my Treo 600. However, I also do not recommend the Treo 600 to friends or family. I am telling people who ask me that I love my Treo and would never give it up. But I also tell them that, if I were them, I would wait for the next version before buying.
    same here....when someone looks at my treo and has that look of, "I want one!"....I say, wait till your current cell plan contract runs out and get the next Treo version....by then they should have worked out the bugs and added some features (BT and wifi.)
  13. #13  
    I do not recommend the phone either. The issues I have with it: A lot of features that lesser cell phones possess do not come as part of the Treo. Developers have been helpful enough to create equivalent functionality, but I would expect with the power of the Palm OS, there would be more creative "out of the box" functionality (profiles, voice recording, voice dialing, voice alerts, MP3 ringtones).

    At the going cost of the phone, I do not expect an average cell phone user to want to shell out the cost and the cost of additional applications to make their "phone/pda" act more like a phone.

    To make matters worse, installing a program on the Treo is like a huge game of Jenga. You wonder if that block is going to cause the whole thing to topple (reset loop) and cause you to have to hard reset and hotsync. I do not think there is any one on this board that doesn't use a backup solution.

    For us tinkerers that enjoy this love/hate relationship with our tech, these issues are acceptable, for a consumer that has gotten spoiled by Nokia's and Motorola's brick offerings, this isn't the phone for them.

    C
  14.    #14  
    The balance has now shifted. Another person in my office now has a faulty Treo. The speaker is dying. Hers is a Cingular Treo. I really just do not understand how there can be such widespread failures. Did they purpousely seek out the lowest quality components? I'm so embarassed I advocated this phone now. I'm not going to promote anymore Palm OS based phones since they just can't seem to be made right.
  15. skidoo's Avatar
    Posts
    345 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurrie
    I agree with your last point. My wife asked me if she should get a T600 and I said no. For someone like her -- not interested in messing around with it, just getting the job done, it is way too unstable.
    I disagree. In my experience--and anecdotal evidence seems to concur--messing with the device (adding software and hacks) is exactly what causes a large percentage of the instability.

    Someone such as your wife (or mine) might be the best candidate for a Treo user.

    And for what it's worth, I've had my Sprint Treo 600 for quite a while. Hardware revision B, serial number date of 3395 (which translates to about October 6th, 2003). No problems whatsoever. Upgraded to 1.20 just fine.

    Recently I dropped it (for the gagillionth time) on a hardwood floor, and now the speaker buzzes a little sometimes.

    Anyway, those of us who tinker with these things and install crappy software six-ways-to-Sunday are asking for trouble. Those who truly just use it as a PDA and a phone are probably very satisfied with most Treo units.
  16. #16  
    Im going to have to agree with skidoo that it is the nature of treo users that sometimes gets us into trouble. I will use myself as a perfect example. In my quest to have my treo do everything in the world, I have installed software like pTunes, RealPlayer, Agendus, the Splashsuite, CallFilter, LightWave, the QuickOffice Suite and much more. All of these software providers cannot possibly design their software with the thought in mind that their product will also be competing for resources on the Palm with 20 other pieces of software. Add to that the fact that we perform hacks and mess with the RAM. Its no wonder that we have stability problems and frequent resets.

    Now I grant you that, knowing the level of geekness of its at least initial target audience, the folks at PalmOne (Handspring) should have beefed up the quality of their parts and added BT, WiFI, better resolution screen, etc. But, we bring this on ourselves in large part. If you have a Treo 600 thats acting up regularily, try unloading all your aftermarket software for a week and see how things go. Lets face it, we are the techno elite (not to sound too techno elite) and should recognize that we are nothing more than phase 3 or 4 of beta testers.
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
    --Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
  17. #17  
    To make matters worse, installing a program on the Treo is like a huge game of Jenga. You wonder if that block is going to cause the whole thing to topple (reset loop) and cause you to have to hard reset and hotsync. I do not think there is any one on this board that doesn't use a backup solution.
    I have had the same Treo since it first came out in October. I haven't had a problem with its hardware or software concerns. I have over 250 apps loaded on memory and sd card. I haven't had to do a hard reset yet (except when doing the rom updates.)
  18. klowy's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #18  
    the Treo re-setting itself is annoying, but bad hardware is a differant story. I have a Treo from AT&T and it works fine (handspring device - not PalmOne branded). Except that I cannot load the updater because it causes the Treo to get in a restart loop. Palm told me NOT to even try installing again. That doesn't seem like a solution. Two other Treo users I know (both with T-Mobile). One is fine (and has been dropped multiple times - handspring branded), the other is being replaced and it is hardware related (palmOne branded). It's kind of interesting watching it die. Today the keyboard would not work. But after restarting it and popping the SD card out a few times, the keyboard sprung to life. Very flaky! We paid enough money for these devices for them to work - or at least to have a patch come out or a hardware recall to get them working. What's even more scary is that a lot of people are buying them. Scary because many of these people are going to be very unhappy.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by klowy
    We paid enough money for these devices for them
    to work - or at least to have a ... hardware recall to get them working.
    -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...26&postcount=1
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    I disagree. In my experience--and anecdotal evidence seems to concur--messing with the device (adding software and hacks) is exactly what causes a large percentage of the instability.

    <snip >
    Interesting perspective and I hadn't thought of it. We sometimes forget that we're the author of our own misfortunes when we mess with these things as we do. Have you tried MovieRec

    DC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions