Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, I am definitely a power user, having accumulated lots of tweaks over the last 7 years or so of using Palms. I gotta agree with the earlier poster about the perils of being an "early adopter" when it comes to PDAs.

In my case, I gave it a week or two after release before buying the 600, and until May 8th (when the "No Network.... **automatic hard reset**" bug began affecting me), I was amazed with the stability of this unit over all previous Palm/One devices.

But after discovering the propensity for the phone to do unrequested losing of networks, and then spontaneous hard resets (losing all data), and then taking the time to bring the phone over to my neighborhood Sprint store where they perform their useless "diagnosis" on it and of course tell me the phone is fine.... I have soured a bit on this $600 version of the Treo. But not enough to quit...

But what really gets my goat is the replacement process when Sprint FINALLY admits some phones have issues. Foolishly I installed the firmware upgrade to v1.20 (I always update by imaging the device and then hard reset to clear out everything to avoid all conflicts). 2 days after v1.20 was installed, the "No Network" issue came on in spades- and luckily Sprint had begun acknowledging the issue by then.

Replacement phone came a few days later from Kentucky (hey- it's only my single communication lifeline- don't bother offering to have me upgrade to overnight...). Replacement phone worked fine for 2 days, then the touchscreen suddenly stopped acknowledging taps. Called Sprint, told them I need another warranty replacement, they sent me to "Lifeline" which the Sprint rep swore up and down is responsible for handling Sprint's warranties. Lifeline talked to me, took the order, then did nothing (without telling me). Called Sprint again, and this time they admitted they handle the Treo warranties, and set up another replacement on a slow boat from Kentucky. We'll see if this one works, but nearly one month without a reliable phone OR Palm is itching me enough to consider dumping the Treo for Sprint's (finally) announced bluetooth phone and a decent hi-res device (probably the Zodiac).

When all your eggs are in one basket, you really need to trust that the basket manufacturer has it together. Hopefully Palm/One's lack of any new Treos is an indication that they will not rush out the Treo 610 (or whatever) until they are reasonably sure their customers won't be the major guinea pigs we have been for this model.

It's sink or swim for Palm/One now that SONY's bailed out and their build quality is heading in the direction of the iomega zip drive in the mid to late '90s...
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    I disagree. In my experience--and anecdotal evidence seems to concur--messing with the device (adding software and hacks) is exactly what causes a large percentage of the instability.

Someone such as your wife (or mine) might be the best candidate for a Treo user.

And for what it's worth, I've had my Sprint Treo 600 for quite a while. Hardware revision B, serial number date of 3395 (which translates to about October 6th, 2003). No problems whatsoever. Upgraded to 1.20 just fine.

Recently I dropped it (for the gagillionth time) on a hardwood floor, and now the speaker buzzes a little sometimes.

Anyway, those of us who tinker with these things and install crappy software six-ways-to-Sunday are asking for trouble. Those who truly just use it as a PDA and a phone are probably very satisfied with most Treo units.

By your logic, a simple Hard Reset should be all thats needed to restore the devices to full functionality. Unfortunately no amount of software can account for FAULTY HARDWARE which is what these phones have shipped with in alarming numbers.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    By your logic, a simple Hard Reset should be all thats needed to restore the devices to full functionality. Unfortunately no amount of software can account for FAULTY HARDWARE which is what these phones have shipped with in alarming numbers.
    Mine's fine. As I've mentioned before, I'd have sex with it if I could. Sorry yours is supposedly such a piece of crap. Dumb luck, or dumb customer? Who knows?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    Mine's fine. As I've mentioned before, I'd have sex with it if I could. Sorry yours is supposedly such a piece of crap. Dumb luck, or dumb customer? Who knows?
    I've mentioned in my first post that the Treo that I myself own has worked flawlessly the entire time I have owned it and it is my first Treo. It is my co-workers and friends around me who are experiencing the hardware failures and convincing me that the build quality of these devices leaves much to be desired.
    I've had a Handspring-branded Treo since they hit the streets last fall. I got my wife one for Christmas, and my boss got one then too. Then he got his wife one. Here are our experiences with reliability:

- I haven't had one problem with mine.

- My wife's earpiece went bad in month four. Sprint hopped-on-it and got her a refurbished Palm One branded unit. Unfortunately, it had an annoying rattle inside right out of the box, as if a part had broken off and was floating around. It sounded like a baby rattle. Sprint again quickly turned-around another unit. This time, with the Handspring logo. So far so good.

- My boss got a Treo 600 at the end of December ('03). At about the same time my wife's earpiece broke, his did too. He got a new unit, and within a month, that earpiece failed too. He's getting pretty frustrated.

- My boss' wife hasn't had any problems yet. Yet.

There ARE serious quality issues with these units. I hope to god mine doesn't bite the dust, but luckily, Sprint has been able to get replacements very quickly.
    Maybe that makes me an *****, but each replacement was an "advanced exchange", which meant I always had a phone, and the problem I was returning it for was always something I could tolerate knowing it would be fixed in a week or two. So, if I remember my management buzzwords correctly, the quality control was fine, but the quality assurance was crap. I'm not sure how they can make money this way, however...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12