1.    #1  
    I am going to Scotland and London.

1. Do I need a transformer or just a plug adapter for T 600 Sprint. Know can't use phone, but need the contact info.

2. Suggestions on renting just a phone that I can call back USA on and use in UK for 2 weeks at minimal expense.

Thanks.
    Well I just went to Paris and London and yes you do need a 'good' plug adapter. I purchased an inexpensive one from Fry's which gave off that electrical burn type smell while charging some of my equipment. It did indeed charge my equipment but that smell kind of worried me. Luckily the person I was travelling with also brought another plug adapter which worked quite well.

My Treo (Sprint CDMA) didn't work in Europe, but I used it for the Mapopolis program which came in VERY handy, and for the games which helped during those long tour bus rides. I think Verizon will rent you a phone that will work there, not sure about Sprint. Cingular phones will work there, but you have to call them ahead of time. Some Cingular customer service reps will say it wont work, keep calling back until you get someone that knows how to do it. I'm sure AT&T will have the same deal as Cingular.
    Just need a plug adapter (check Wal-Mart) the Treo charger is a transformer that adjusts to whatever current you are using (220 or 110V).

You can use your Treo 600 in UK if you buy prepaid phonecards from ie Vodaphone, O2 or Orange. These networks work on Treo. Recommend going into an actual vendor, ie Vodaphone store rather than reseller that sells all brands (I found the difference between the 2 to be about $25 for a SIM).

Renting a phone over there is waaaay too expensive. Recommend purchasing cheap phonecards from Candy stores and gas stations to use on a regular phone (or on your Treo with the prepaid), it's about 5 pounds ($8) for 6 hrs call time to US.

Oh and everywhere you go in UK are internet cafes and call shops. These places let you make international calls for next to nothing.
    Sorry Sprint phone wont work over there, needs to be GSM.
    Does anyone rent GSM Treos?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks lplplpxe. Nice and helpful.
    if you got GSM it might even be affordable to just use roaming for your calls.
    if not go into a phone shop and buy the cheapest mobile you can find. They normally do actions in which you buy the sim and get the phone for free.
    If you do decide to buy a phone, the vodaphone network has the best coverage overhere.
    water created humans to carry it up hills
    We are still using notes tied to the haggis left leg for SMS, what is all this about mobiles?
    Quote Originally Posted by vitb9doc
    I am going to Scotland and London.

1. Do I need a transformer or just a plug adapter for T 600 Sprint. Know can't use phone, but need the contact info.

2. Suggestions on renting just a phone that I can call back USA on and use in UK for 2 weeks at minimal expense.

Thanks.
    1. Any inexpensive adapter will work.
    2. Sprint will rent you a phone that will work with your PCS phone number so you can receive all calls like you do in the states.
    3. Most inexepensive way is to purchase a cheap GSM phone with payasyougo service. I would recommend Orange, as they appear to have the best price for UK to US rates.

BTW - I own both the Sprint and GSM versions. Orange was the only European PayAsYouGo that worked absolutely perfect with my Treo (figures, as they are the only operator in Europe that sells the Treo). Also their customer service rep who registered my SIM card was great!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks to all. Very helpful.
    I wouldn't worry about coverage in London, in Scotland it depends whether you're going to remote locations or not?
    If there's quite a few americans wanting to rent mobiles over here I think I may have just spotted a business opportunity
    Is it common to be able to do this in the States, and how does it work? I could rent one to you for a returnable deposit and a small charge per week/day. If you're staying in a hotel I could get it couriered to you and you send it back at the end of your stay. I could also make suggestions on international call cards to use, as these are typically very cheap - but they get blocked if the mobile networks catch on. How does that sound?
    The returnable deposit would have to cover the cost of the phone, this would probably be around 50 for a basic Nokia. Cost of rental would depend on how I structure the courier charges and how big the market potentially is. I'd have to do some sums. Call costs would be paid for by the rentee.
    When I was in London last month I noticed that American Express is renting phones. Didn't check the cost, though.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    There is a whole thread on this...it's titled something like Treo 600 in Europe. Just search Europe and you will find it.