Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am now fully disgusted with this phone. I have tried to work out the kinks and made excuses to myself that, " It sucks as a phone but its a good compromise between a phone and a PDA but, it's really cool!." The headset speaker went out again( this makes #4!) I am switching back to Motorola or Nokia and wait for one of the main players to release something that works. Trust me, this phone/pda is the worst. I have serveral clients and friends that I have turned on to this phone and everyone of us and I mean everyone of us has had the same problems ( echo, poor reception, reboots, headset speaker going bad ect ect). I thought the update would fix some of these problems, no. Do yourself and anyone you talk to a favor, run ...don't walk away from this POS! POS=piece of s**t

Okay! I'll keep that in mind as my 600 of 7 months (1 replacement) keeps me fully organized and in touch.

Seriously though, sounds like you've had horrible luck. Glad I haven't had these issues.
    Ummmm! Wrong place and time to post this comments.

If you are reading this, you must be a Treo 600 owner already.

100's of T600 users can't be wrong. This is the life we chose.

I love my Treo 600!
  4.    #4  
    Not just me, I am calling everyone I know who has bought this phone and just my buddies and clients I am already up to 17. I wish you luck, but having to return this many phones in only 4 months is bad. Good luck & wish you well.

P.S without giving out too much info I am a dealer/agent for this service/phone
    Look, no one can deny that Palm1 has had some significant production problems, but having to replace your phone 3 times is just plain bad luck. As has been stated here before, the silent majority of satisfied Treo owners probably don't even read this board or others like it, and so what we see here is a self-selection for the curious and the problem-addled.

Everyone I know who has a Treo loves it and speaks of it in a sort of reverential tone when discussing it. Yes, you may have to replace your phone a time or two, but most of us, I venture to say, weigh convenience of use vs. potential for trouble and suck up the latter in order to glea[FONT=Arial]n the former.

So, Imashton, I think calling it a complete POS without taking into account what the vast sea of other Treo users think is a bit narrow minded and unfairly critical of a remarkable device.

But that's just my opinion...
    I don't understand why some people have such crappy 'luck' with PDAs and some don't. I'm beginning to think that it is how the devices are treated. Treat your $600 device like a $50 cell phone and expect it to go bad. Treat it like a $600 PDA and expect to get years of life from it.

I carry my PDA/Phone with me everywhere and use it constantly. I don't abuse it though. I don't toss it around and I always keep it in a nice case.

I have had 3 Handspring Visors (of increasing power) and 3 Treos (270, a beta 600 and now 'normal' 600), and only returned ONE of them. And that was for a cosmetic defect.

I have had a PDA that had a broken screen (not a Palm device though), but that could well have been caused by impact with an immovable hard object.

(Of course, I also don't have a sprint Treo... I wonder if the quality problems of the sprint devices are different than the GSM ones also.

P.S. 2 posts both in this thread? Is that so you don't tip off who you are from an earlier alias? (If you really are a dealer, that might well make sense.)
    Quote Originally Posted by imashton
    Not just me, I am calling everyone I know who has bought this phone and just my buddies and clients I am already up to 17. I wish you luck, but having to return this many phones in only 4 months is bad. Good luck & wish you well.

P.S without giving out too much info I am a dealer/agent for this service/phone

Your experiences do NOT reflect the majority of opinions of users on this board. Do a search for ealier polls regarding this subject and you'll find an overwhenlimg majority are happy with the Treo. If anything, as a "dealer/agent", I'ld figure you know how to figure out the Treo...but alas that would be asking too much of the typical agent!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    > Your experiences do NOT reflect the majority of opinions of
    > users on this board. Do a search for ealier polls regarding
    > this subject and you'll find an overwhenlimg majority are happy
    > with the Treo...

Oh, you mean like THIS one:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/po...lts&pollid=598

At the time of this reply the ratio of bad to good is 229:180.

Note - the poll is "flawed" in that one cannot update one's answer if one's current TREO goes bad after you have already taken the poll. That is, people's experiences, if they change, ALWAYS change for the worse but the poll will not reflect that.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Looks like his phone may have the dreded "Id-10-t" error! Seems to happen a lot on this board!

I have had my treo since November and I love it. It will have to take a darn good device to get me to switch to another PDA/Phone. Samsung has a PDA Phone comming out in the 4Q but in my opinion....if it dosent have a keyboard then it is no match! I will never again use a phone dial pad, or graffiti a e-mail ever again!
    Last edited by Fittske; 06/02/2004 at 08:27 PM.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    > Your experiences do NOT reflect the majority of opinions of
    > users on this board. Do a search for ealier polls regarding
    > this subject and you'll find an overwhenlimg majority are happy
    > with the Treo...

Note - the poll is "flawed" in that one cannot update one's answer if one's current TREO goes bad after you have already taken the poll. That is, people's experiences, if they change, ALWAYS change for the worse but the poll will not reflect that.
    *sigh* More fud from our resident skeptic... I was actually thinking more along the lines of this poll:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...satisfied+poll

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor

Ummm... where did you come up with those numbers? Right now its ~55% good over bad (180 vs. 148).
    The Majority of the people using these boards are happy i myself have been a treo owner since the 180 have had my 600 since october had three replacements and still love the treo. I could never see myself going back to a conventional phone

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I don't understand why some people have such crappy 'luck' with PDAs and some don't. I'm beginning to think that it is how the devices are treated. Treat your $600 device like a $50 cell phone and expect it to go bad. Treat it like a $600 PDA and expect to get years of life from it....
    I completely agree. I had to replace my first T6 because I dropped it on a concrete floor and the mic bit the dust. That was nearly 7 months ago and the replacement has been flawless. I will admit that it's a slippery little thing but I know what and what not to do when taking it out of the case etc.

W
    [QUOTE=jaytee]I don't understand why some people have such crappy 'luck' with PDAs and some don't. I'm beginning to think that it is how the devices are treated. Treat your $600 device like a $50 cell phone and expect it to go bad. Treat it like a $600 PDA and expect to get years of life from it.

I carry my PDA/Phone with me everywhere and use it constantly. I don't abuse it though. I don't toss it around and I always keep it in a nice case.

[QUOTE]

I tend to agree. Too many people just toss their phones around.

as for the initial poster, i didn't even buy my treo from a dealer. just got it off ebay with no issues. sorry that you had no luck.
    I love my Treo. (TMO GSM) Have it since January with no problems. Even more stable with 3.04. I will say that you have to be very discriminating with software to install. I'm sure very few people would have trouble using the T6 out of the box and keeping it that way. Though no one on this board would ever think of that. We like to live on the edge. But there iare definitely apps that don't coexist nicely on the Treo. You have to be cautious of this. Only installing 1 app at a time. Testing it for a few days. And get rid of it if it offends the others. Some people just install, install, install. And then say the thing is a POS.
    PS- All of the crappy headsets have a very short life span.
  16.    #16  
    We sell these things...and I am only posting this about the Treo600. We have had numerous problems with these phones. Some range from poor battery life to the phone going out and not turning on. I loved....my Treo...I finally gave into the Darkside...this PDA/Phone is a great design and effort by whoever is the mfg. I on many occasions said, " this phone is horrible/PDA great/ live with it and like it. Alot of people have bought this phone/PDA knowing this, I was one of them. I still have my Treo 600 next to me, I just sync'd it....the speaker doesnt work, it often looks and looses my network, I installed the updates and I have several people on staff that do nothing other than sell cell phones. It is not the service provider, it is the PDA/Phone mfg. Loose connection between the seat and keyboard is not in the mapping on this one. I will be more than happy to email details on the problems we have had with the this phone. On the positive note....we have not had one problem getting replacements on this phone. I love this phone...hate the performance & depend on it. I talk over 4k min a month on my cell phone so I depend on it greatly. This is not the phone, current version, current upgrade that you need to purchase. Again...I am not telling you because I am guessing, I am telling you because I know. Just type in google, { treo 600 speaker failure, treo 600 echo, ect} I really hope that get this right.....I am placing this #4 Treo 600 in a bubble bag for replacement.

I know ..you guys/girls love this phone/pda I did too.....walk away from the vehicle.....

Ashton
    Last edited by imashton; 06/02/2004 at 08:58 PM.
    Member since 11-14-03...2 Sprint upgrades that went smooth...no issues at all. I LOVE IT!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I've used both a Sprint and a GSM Treo 600 and have seen zero hardware problems. I do handle it with care, however, like any $600 device should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    I could never see myself going back to a conventional phone
    Same here. I had a Palm IIIC (I think that's what it was...), and then a T270, now T6. I made 1 return on the T6 because of speaker degradation. I used headphones most of the time, so it wasn't much of a problem anyway. What's nice is that you get to hold onto the old phone until the replacement comes. Yeah, without the headphones, the sound kinda sucked for a week (till I got that replacement), but the phone didn't spew battery acid over 73% of my body, or make my eyes, ears, and nose start to spontaneously bleed uncontrollably. I'm really happy with the Treo, especially the 600; it's pretty useful having all my addresses, email, web, SSH, birthday tracker, MP3 player, calendar, etc. and phone on hand - and all in one. It has its flaws - but don't most things? My rationale is this - I could go back to the Motorola StarTac, and you know what - it probably wouldn't give me any problems - but then again, aside from simple phone calls, what does it give me? My feelings, to sum it up: I'd much rather have Windows XP, even though it crashes once a week, and be able to do advanced PowerPoint presentations, than have Dosshell 6.1, which never crashes, but the most advanced design I can do is with Edlin.
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
  20.    #20  
    If you paid only $600 bucks for yours...then you got a deal....then signed a contract..got rebate. Going rate...may be higher..or lower..depending on carrier...and the length of contract. Don't get me wrong I used to love this phone...but ask yourself...I hate this phone...love the pda...hate the pda love the phone...hate both or it looks cool on my hip and I can use it as a flashlight when it gets dark?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast