Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84
  1.    #61  
    Rob, my last post was a response to a post by woof. Didn't mean it for most of people posting here.
  2. #62  
    I wonder if GSM or Sprint T600s have more problems. Also if indeed there are series of serial numbers that are bad.

    Perhaps those with bad phones could post their carrier, their type of phone, and its serial number so any trends could be found.

    If we all try to put ourselves in the place of those who have returned multiple phones we might understand their frustration better, and we would probably be better able to take a rant in stride rather than ranting back. Getting personal does no good, and blaming others for what may be their misfortune (with no real data to prove it was anything more) causes more problems than it solves.
  3. #63  
    Boo Hoo, life’s a hurdle get over it.

    We have forty seven of these phones, we have sent one back that was DOA. and please don’t tell me Mororola and Nokia don’t have DOA phones and don’t’ start me on SonyEricsson.

    We have had no problems with the headset speaker and I knew before I purchased the phones about the echo in the loud speaker. I have seen all the posts on how to fix it. We have over forty trained communication technicians and they all say it’s a hardware issue and no software upgrade will fix the issue.

    We have had a few problems with the gprs but the long awaited 3.05 firmware upgrade fixed that.

    At the end of the day we have two device in one PDA and Phone, so we have to choose do we go for a PDA that has a phone or a phone that has a PDA. We tried the later with the SonyEricsson P800. Get a P800 and lets see you complain about the Treo’s reception.

    Any way we are happy with ours and are sticking with them.
  4. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by gottalovegsm
    I have been a happy user of SE P800 until I got this Treo GSM TMo

    The treo just is ridiculously incomoplete:

    - No Cradle: what a joke by Palm to ship a $ 600 P!D!A!Phone without a cradle and two ugly cables.

    - No bluetooth.

    - No wireless modem drivers. You have to go out and shell out $ 40 for PDA.net or whatever it's called.

    - A useless mail client that doesn't support IMAP. Again you have to go and shell out another $ 60 for snapper mail.

    - No handwriting recognition on a PDA: Come on guys, this isn't rocket science, that key board just won't cut it for a true PDA user. I know there's Graffitti anywhere and other options, but try an "i" on GA. In any case why should we have to go out, research, download and try to configure third party software for such simple functionality.

    - No out of the box true back up utility, again shell out $ 20 - $ 30 for backupbuddy etc. This is incredible in my opinion, how can you expect to converge 3 devices thus heavily rely on this ONE device and not be able to back it up properly out of the box. You ought to see SE or MS's backup solutions.

    - No ability to browse the phone or the SD card out of the box. Again shell at extra $$$ for the software.

    - Now this one kills me: No alarm setting or recurring tasks. This is just incredible. How can you not have alarms on tasks. By the way if anyone knows of software to do this please let me know. I know about ToDo+ but the alarms don't synchronize with Outlook. I really need this functionality.

    - No Alarm clock on a smartphone, the prepaid 7-Eleven phones have this.

    - Don't even get me started on the ridiculous screen. On the dialpad screen, the my phone shows lines from the buttons.

    - The most boring, 2 dimensional user interface.

    - No out of the box voice recording.

    - No stereo headset and yet this thing is advertised for its MP3 playing capability. Yet again, there is no out of the box MP3 player like there is in the P800 or the MS phones.

    - No user-changeable battery a la iPod. How much is this gonna cost us a year down the line when the battery doesn't hold charge?

    In my opinion, to make this a true PDA phone, one needs to spend another $ 200 to $ 300. So why not get an XDA II, a P900 or the Motorola MPX that's coming out. I am just waiting for the MPX and will try to live with this junk in the meantime. http://www.brighthand.com/article/Mo...st_Impressions

    On the other hand I agree that the quality of this phone is just as good as any other phone or PDA I have used. You take care of this thing and you probably won't run in to problems. Except I can see the speakerphone and headset failing as the default volume is way to loud.

    Any comments welcome. Thanks.
    Knowing all this, and you still bought it anyway. I love it.
  5. #65  
    The heck with the flame war. I just want a ride on DHAnderson's boat now!
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by imashton
    Rob, my last post was a response to a post by woof. Didn't mean it for most of people posting here.

    Hey smart guy there is a little blue button in the lower right corner of each post called "quote". If you use that you'll be able to reference previous posts so this kind of post is unnecessary.

    By the way I didn't say anything about IQ. I just said we dont need you to save us. Too bad you had a bad experience. But that doesnt mean we should agree or even listen to you when you go off about it. If you hated Honda's would you knock on the driver window of every Honda you saw and tell the driver they have a POS because you didnt like yours? Probably get shot if you did or at least punched in the mouth. I know I'd tell you to FO, kinda like I did here.

    Bottom line, if your going to throw stones expect some of us to throw stones back. And yes folks, Ashton is entitled to voice his opinion, but so is everyone else.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    If we all try to put ourselves in the place of those who have returned multiple phones we might understand their frustration better, and we would probably be better able to take a rant in stride rather than ranting back.
    I am on my third treo 600 since October and I have nothing bad to say. It broke, warranty replaced it and on I go. Of course I could go nuts and scream and cry about what crap it is, but I dont need to. I am happy with it. So it breaks down once in a while. Name something manmade that doesnt.
    Those that expect perfection form a technical highly customizable device are clearly out of their element. Or maybe you're just arrogant and think it should do what you want because you want it. Get real.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  8. #68  
    The heck with the flame war. I just want a ride on DHAnderson's boat now!
    If you can come to Minnesota this summer, I can probably arrange a ride.

    My friend took that picture when we were pulling a water skiier. To see the whole picture go to his site at http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~cfennema/Sailing/index.htm
  9. #69  
    I love this place!
  10. rsperko's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #70  
    I love mine. I have not had any problems. Still on my first one. It is not perfect, but it is far better than anything I have had before. It absolutely ROCKS carrying two devices.

    This phone is far better than almost any phone I have had for reception and call quality. The only PDA I have had that was at all better was my T2, that is because of the screen.

    I am quite happy.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

    visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Hey smart guy there is a little blue button in the lower right corner of each post called "quote". If you use that you'll be able to reference previous posts so this kind of post is unnecessary.

    By the way I didn't say anything about IQ. I just said we dont need you to save us. Too bad you had a bad experience. But that doesnt mean we should agree or even listen to you when you go off about it. If you hated Honda's would you knock on the driver window of every Honda you saw and tell the driver they have a POS because you didnt like yours? Probably get shot if you did or at least punched in the mouth. I know I'd tell you to FO, kinda like I did here.

    Bottom line, if your going to throw stones expect some of us to throw stones back. And yes folks, Ashton is entitled to voice his opinion, but so is everyone else.
    If you don't want to listen to someone complain about the phone, then why click on and then read an obviously labeled complaint thread? Its not as if the forum thread spontaneously opened on your computer screen. You had to actively open it and read it, then actively comment on it, then actively come back to it, check the new posts and then respond again. You seem pretty involved in something you say you don't want anything to do with.

    Just an observation.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I am on my third treo 600 since October and I have nothing bad to say. It broke, warranty replaced it and on I go. Of course I could go nuts and scream and cry about what crap it is, but I dont need to. I am happy with it. So it breaks down once in a while. Name something manmade that doesnt.
    Those that expect perfection form a technical highly customizable device are clearly out of their element. Or maybe you're just arrogant and think it should do what you want because you want it. Get real.
    You really need to take a step back and look at what you just typed here. Your on your third unit and you think this is normal. Yes the feature set is nice, but the quality sucks. If my car had to be replaced three times or my computer or my TV or my stereo I would be just as angry as my cell phone. The Treo 600 is a combination of two previously present devices, a PDA and a cell phone. Most cell phones and most PDAs don't have to be replaced on a regular basis so why should a combination device? There are folks out there with their original Apple Newton's and Palm Pilots and folks walking around with their 6 7 or 8 year old cell phones. You've been conditioned to accept crap as the norm and attack anyone with higher standards. Thats really a sad situation to find oneself in.

    There is absolutely nothing arrogant about wanting a device that works. Paying $600 for a product to have it fail repeatedly is not something to shrug off as "Normal". Perfection is not the goal. An acceptable rate of failure due to wear and tear is the goal. Having the device simply die because shoddy workmanship and low quality parts were used is just plain unacceptable.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    If you can come to Minnesota this summer, I can probably arrange a ride.

    My friend took that picture when we were pulling a water skiier. To see the whole picture go to his site at http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~cfennema/Sailing/index.htm
    WOW!!! What speed can this thing go? (Tacking must be interesting without a keel).
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    You really need to take a step back and look at what you just typed here. Your on your third unit and you think this is normal. Yes the feature set is nice, but the quality sucks. If my car had to be replaced three times or my computer or my TV or my stereo I would be just as angry as my cell phone. The Treo 600 is a combination of two previously present devices, a PDA and a cell phone. Most cell phones and most PDAs don't have to be replaced on a regular basis so why should a combination device? There are folks out there with their original Apple Newton's and Palm Pilots and folks walking around with their 6 7 or 8 year old cell phones. You've been conditioned to accept crap as the norm and attack anyone with higher standards. Thats really a sad situation to find oneself in.

    There is absolutely nothing arrogant about wanting a device that works. Paying $600 for a product to have it fail repeatedly is not something to shrug off as "Normal". Perfection is not the goal. An acceptable rate of failure due to wear and tear is the goal. Having the device simply die because shoddy workmanship and low quality parts were used is just plain unacceptable.

    I agree with NDPTAL85 here completely. I think Woof is way out of line in tone and content in the various postings. As stated, you don't like what Imashton's saying? Don't read it. Saying that it's like knocking on every Honda drivers window and telling them their car sucks is, well, sheer stupidity (the thing that you state is so abundant- now we can see why).This is a public forum where people seek assistance and share experiences- that is what it is here to do. Imashton and myelf and quite a few others (though not a majority, thank God) have had a really bad go of it with the T600 and the point of view is legitimate. I wish that I felt the way you do but I spent a lot of money and, more importantly, TIME on this device and it has been a very disapointing experience.I really, truly hope my next replacement is the last one I'll need as I have never owned a device that is anywhere near as great (when it's working).

    You go right ahead and keep turning them in as they break down and be happy about it. Frankly, it's amazing that you extend that much patience and tolerance to your Treo as you give none of it to your fellow Treo users.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by imashton
    I am now fully disgusted with this phone. I have tried to work out the kinks and made excuses to myself that, " It sucks as a phone but its a good compromise between a phone and a PDA but, it's really cool!." The headset speaker went out again( this makes #4!) I am switching back to Motorola or Nokia and wait for one of the main players to release something that works. Trust me, this phone/pda is the worst. I have serveral clients and friends that I have turned on to this phone and everyone of us and I mean everyone of us has had the same problems ( echo, poor reception, reboots, headset speaker going bad ect ect). I thought the update would fix some of these problems, no. Do yourself and anyone you talk to a favor, run ...don't walk away from this POS! POS=piece of s**t


    I think it is the users. Yup, it's the users. no problems with mine, one of my best purchases ever!
  16. #76  
    Best purchase I ever made could not live without. Sorry for everyone that is having problems, but I'd rather slap my mother than call this a P.O.S.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Knowing all this, and you still bought it anyway. I love it.
    I actually didn't buy it. It was sent to me by the insurance company as a replacement for my P800.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemethod
    I think it is the users. Yup, it's the users. no problems with mine, one of my best purchases ever!
    I have had no problems with mine either. Its a brand new Sprint PalmOne branded phone that I've dropped 3 times and it still works flawlessly, and upgraded firmware flawlessly.

    Yet as I watch over half the people in my office who got Treo's see hardware malfunctions am I supposed to blame the users? Theses are people who don't install ANY software on their Palms and who don't play rugby with their phones. So no its not the users. Its the shoddy quality of the parts.

    Some of us are just lucky. (knocks on wood)
  19. #79  
    I am extremely happy with my Treo600 and would not trade it for anything! I currently live in France and bought my Treo with the operator Orange. I couldn't be more pleased and it has been a GREAT improvement of my former Treo 180.
    PROBLEMS EXIST
    However it is true that I have had to exchange my Treo because of technical issues 4 times in the 9 months that I have owned it. So have many of my friends that I have convinced to start using the Treo smartphone instead of normal cell phone.
    HOWEVER, SERVICE IS GREAT
    Having to exchange the device is not a problem to me as the service offered by Orange is fantastic. Orange/Palm sends me a new device and, once received, I send my old device back - at no cost and within 48 hours from when I call customerservice. This indeed is a fantastic service, and as a customer I have only been happy as I have been able to obtain new, clean devices once the first smudges appreared on the screen.
    THE PROBLEMS
    I have experienced problems with the Treo600 GSM version in connection of the audio system. Suddenly, after a couple of months, there is alot of static on the phone line, making me almost inaudiable to the persons I call. I had tried to update using the 2.08 phone update, and now the 3.05, which did help on the GPRS connection not getting locked, but not on the audio static. One time I had a problem with a recently exchanged device as the battery did not render more than a couple of minutes of talktime.
    STILL A GREAT PRODUCT
    Overall the technical issues have not effected my view of the Treo as it has provided so much functionality, and saved me so much time, that the few days I have experienced with starting static on the phone line are completely forgiven.
    I can't wait until PalmOne releases the next Treo!! I am more anxious to have a high resolution screen and built-in Wifi, than to have to production problems solved - but that might just be due to the great customer service offered when I have encountered problems. I might however sell my device once the warranty period expires, and buy a new one with warranty coverage, just to be safe.
    Last edited by u_m_rasmussen; 06/05/2004 at 08:29 AM.
  20. #80  
    Frankly, I'm not surprised that many people are getting fed up with their 600. Granted I have not yet upgraded from my 300 to the 600, but based just on my experience with the 300, I wasn't sure if upgrading was the best idea.

    Most 300 owners shared similar experiences with the 1st gen 300s - you know, when the lids would snap off after a while. It took Handspring nearly a year to release a new gen that resolved that issue. Thats a REALLY BIG MANUFACTURING DEFECT. The 1st time the lid broke for me, i thought "maybe i was too rough with my phone - thank god i have an extended warranty."

    But the 2nd time it happened, I was angry. Not at me, but at Handspring for allowing this problem to persist.

    All the stories that i've been reading about the same recurring issues that people are forced to deal with now with the 600, are all too familiar. It reeks of Handspring/Palm.

    I understand that there are devotees to Handspring and fanatics and believers in the "Handspring way". But let's not be pretend to be ok with "too bad you've had such bad luck with your phones, I've had mine for 7 months and i only had to get another one just once." Even that once is too much. We shouldn't have to pay market premium to be a company's guinea pigs.
    www.bubblespeed.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions