1.    #1  
    I have a Yahoo email account that I use to check my home email when I am at work - but I would like to use my Treo and not the work computer. How can I use my Treo 600 to check my email account at home - say when I am at work?

1) Do I have to initiate the check or can it automatically notify me when an email arrives at my home account?
    2) What if someone sends an attachment to my home account? Will that make my Treo MELT?

Thanks
    powermixx
    First of all, you cannot access your yahoo email acct via POP3 unless you buy the premium services which is like $20/year. I've purchases this and it works perfectly via snappermail. I can access my yahoo email acct and have even set up sms triggered pull via Treohelper . Thus, everytime I get a new message in my yahoo inbox, yahoo sends me a sms alert to my Treo and treohelper automatically launches snappermail and downloads the message. That is the easy way to doing things!!

If you don't want to pay for the premium mail+ yahoo services, then there are several other options:

One is to simple access your yahoo mail via yahoo wap portal on blazer:

http://wap.oa.yahoo.com

This works fine, but you cannot access your attachments this way afaikafaikafaik.

Another option is to use something like YahooPOPS! that lets you access your yahoo email via desktop client which you can then forward another acct and access on your Treo. The only negative is that you have this running on your deskop at all times.

Finally, there is the option of buying a subscription to an email aggregator like Fusemail or Onemail. The latter is actually a palmos client while the latter is a web based email service that collects all your web based email accts. The negative is that it costs money and you have to rely on a third party to relay your email which can be problematic if you have privacy concerns. Then there are also options like Izymail that collect web email etc. All of these options have been discussed on the fourms...do a search (unless they were lost in the crash )

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Are you sure he wasn't using Yahoo's POP3 capability to check his home ISP account? It wasn't clear to me if he wanted to check Yahoo mail or another account.

If the former, you can just use SnapperMail to check your home mail. Be sure to configure it to leave your mail on the server, so it will be there to download once you get home to your real PC, but Snappermail does a great job, check it out.

Brandon
    GFunkMagic please can you give me detailed instructions on how to get the SMS alert from Yahoo and all the rest of that fancy stuff. Forwarding from Yahoo means my mail does not appear online in my Yahoo account so this wont work for me. Please explain.
    Last edited by lplplpx3; 06/02/2004 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lplplpx3
    GFunkMagic please can you give me detailed instructions on how to get the SMS alert from Yahoo and all the rest of that fancy stuff. Thx.

You have to setup the sms alerts via your yahoo mail settings. Go to your yahoo acct > mail options > filters > setup mobile email alerts to your Treo number. Then use Treohelper setup the sms triggers matching the yahoo alerts, then setup snappermail to tigger to those alerts. Works flawlessly for me...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This works great for me also...thx...the only problem is when the SMS message comes up (privacy or not) the screen does not turn itself off as normal, after 2 minutes and stays on forever.

When I OK the SMS message (after 5 mins) I see that Snappermail has launched in the background, downloaded the email but stopped (or froze) at the Disconnect screen. Is the only way for this to finish up nicely is to manually answer the SMS which then makes Snapper complete its action or is there a way around this?

My only alternative is not to do the auto launch of Snappermail through the TreoHelper filter. Thanks.
    lplplpx3, did you select delete under Treohelper for the sms trigger? I've set up Treohelper to delete the triggers and launches snappermail "delayed launch until sleep" on my Treo. Thus I never see the sms alerts and snappermail only launches when the Treo is sleeping/off. The screen does turn on when snappermail downloads the messages but automatically turns off afterwards. I do not use any other 3rd party utility to control the screen except for Treoguard and my auto-off is set to one minute..

Ok this now works perfectly. Ingenious.

Being that we are the beings we are...I shall ask. As the screen turns off etc is there a way for my LED to let me know I have mail waiting? Thx once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by lplplpx3
    Ok this now works perfectly. Ingenious.

Being that we are the beings we are...I shall ask. As the screen turns off etc is there a way for my LED to let me know I have mail waiting? Thx once again.

Hmmm... actually that's one thing I don't know (or rather haven't figured out) how to do. Once you set Treohelper to delete the sms trigger, I don't think there's anyway to set the LED to notify you of a new message. The only option is therefore to use Snappermail's notification options and unfortunately there is no option for LED status...just audio alerts and vibrate. I've actually tried using the attention grabber mode in Treobutler to get this to work, but haven't been sucessful. It seems once the sms is deleted, there is no way to set an alert...

Yep, tried TreoButler, no joy. Maybe we can suggest this to the Snappermail creators. It would be really helpful but thanks for all the tips. My email experience will now be instantaneous. Fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You have to setup the sms alerts via your yahoo mail settings. Go to your yahoo acct > mail options > filters > setup mobile email alerts to your Treo number. Then use Treohelper setup the sms triggers matching the yahoo alerts, then setup snappermail to tigger to those alerts. Works flawlessly for me...
    Got part one.
    Think I got part two.
    Don't got part three.

Anyone want to walk a technogeekwannabe through the process????
    1. you getting the sms from yahoo?
    2. you set up treo helper? sms tab in treo helper and check enable this sms trigger. but in some text, but not sure it is nessecary. i have a trigger look for the word fetch in the sms title. Select SNapper from the launch drop down.
    3. setup account in snapper to autofetch. go to edit account and select the account you want to fetch.

i think that is it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.