Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

Latest software release is here

It does the following

Lets you manage your ringtone like Alarms in Butler (Mp3, repeats, LED etc)

Lets you set radio on & off times (and days when that will be active)

Radio on after reset

I plan to add the following:
    Screen off during call after x seconds
    More control on ringers

What it almost certainly won't do is add control based on who is calling (personal ringtones, etc)

I know some people will be disappointed that I haven't bundled this into butler - There are two reasons for this

a) Butler has become too dificult to manage - every change causes bugs to other stuff. I've just had a good clean at it over the last couple of days and don't want to mess that all up!
    b) I want to charge extra for these functions - but also want people to be able to buy Butler at a reasonably low price.

Anyway - Phone technician is currently at $4 (I believe it's much cheaper than any other mp3 ringer solution). It'll go up to $7 or $8 when it's got a bit more in it and is out of Beta.

as always - I look forward to the bugs and suggestions you will no doubt find!

Enjoy!

It's available at HobbyistSoftware.com
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Hi Folks,
    a) Butler has become too dificult to manage - every change causes bugs to other stuff. I've just had a good clean at it over the last couple of days and don't want to mess that all up!
    as a registered user,i feel kind of disappointed to read this kind of statement from u. i think it is better for u to make Butler better rather than releasing this new sofware.
    i am sure people will think of u higly if u create one excellent product instead of a few troublesome ones.

so sorry to have made this comment but this is how i feel personally.

~nunuknanak
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunuknanak
    as a registered user,i feel kind of disappointed to read this kind of statement from u. i think it is better for u to make Butler better rather than releasing this new sofware.
    i am sure people will think of u higly if u create one excellent product instead of a few troublesome ones.

so sorry to have made this comment but this is how i feel personally.

~nunuknanak
    Sorry you feel that way - My aim is to create a few excellent products- One of the things I am trying to achieve here is that neither Butler nor Phone Technician will be troublesome.

Obviously this is a change for people who have been used to getting more and more functionality as free Butler Upgrades. Nonetheless, I hope that registered users will still feel that they have got a great deal on Butler. I have gone against advice (and the trend in much of the competing software) in keeping the price low as I want people to feel that it's an excellent deal which they can reccomend to others.
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Sorry you feel that way - My aim is to create a few excellent products- One of the things I am trying to achieve here is that neither Butler nor Phone Technician will be troublesome...
    Your new Treo 600 software contributions are always welcome. Bugs are to be expected with new software. The problem is that most developers take months or years to correct bugs. No so with you. We're talking days, even hours! Keep them coming!

Have you visisted http://mytreo.net/forum/? You will find many familiar members there. I recommend it.
    BUTLER still crashes my TREO when using the Alarm. My wishlist / bugfix

1. Alarm goes off playing MP3 for 30 seconds then CRASH. Everytime.
    2. BUTLER sometimes crashes when selecting a different MP3 for an alarm sound.
    3. Snooze does not work !!! First of all, when I hit snooze the alarm should stop playing, not continue. Second, I want more snooze options - 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes. Currently the max is 5 minutes. What kind of snooze is that !
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    BUTLER still crashes my TREO when using the Alarm. My wishlist / bugfix

1. Alarm goes off playing MP3 for 30 seconds then CRASH. Everytime.
    2. BUTLER sometimes crashes when selecting a different MP3 for an alarm sound.
    3. Snooze does not work !!! First of all, when I hit snooze the alarm should stop playing, not continue. Second, I want more snooze options - 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes. Currently the max is 5 minutes. What kind of snooze is that !
    Thaks for sharing these - I hadn't heard them before. As ever - I'll do my best to sort them - though I do need help in identifying how to replicate the problem on my treo.

One by one..
    What version are you using? If it's not 1.6, can you check whether these bugs still exist in 1.6

1) crash after 30s - I'm trying to think what could happen after 30s that would cause a crash. My first guess is the attention manager is kicking in. Can you check this by turning off the attention manager and seeing if the crash stops.
    If this is the culprit - then please let me know your attention manager settings so I can try to replicate the crash

2) Is there any common theme in when the crash happens and when it doesn't here. anything that might give me a clue. If it happens again - please dial #*err after the crash and let me know the error message. It might help guess the cause.

3) I amazed that neither I nor anyone else had picked that up before - Thanks. Should be easy to fix.
    Re snooze timings of other than 5mins. Unfortunately this is a limitation of the Attention Manager which is part of the Palm OS5. There are a lot of advantages to using the attention manager rather than custom building an alert screen (as Agendus does for example), so I'm afraid this won't change.
    Hopefully Palm will improve the attention manager in a later release - Everyone should send feedback to them on this point!

Anyway - thanks for this bug list. Anyone else out there have a list of bugs which haven't been shared yet?
    Hobbyist Software
    Will PT allow me to assign one mp3 to known callers and a different mp3 to unknown callers like in Treo's sound preferences? Also, will it allow me to assign mp3s to alarms and reminders? I've considered buying Lightwav, but I don't need all of its bells and whistles. I just want something that will give me the same options as in the Treo's sound preferences but will also support mp3s.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.
    Will PT allow me to assign one mp3 to known callers and a different mp3 to unknown callers like in Treo's sound preferences? Also, will it allow me to assign mp3s to alarms and reminders? I've considered buying Lightwav, but I don't need all of its bells and whistles. I just want something that will give me the same options as in the Treo's sound preferences but will also support mp3s.
    Re known/unKnown callers the answer is no. Possible, future enhancement.

Re alarms - Butler lets you set up MP3 alarms, but neither PT nor Butler will replace other applications alarms. You'll have to shell out for Lightwav for that!
    Hobbyist Software
    OK, thanks!
    Phone Technician Bug: The mp3 continues to play when call is answered and is heard by caller and callee. Thanks

If call comes in and I click ignore it stops playing or if I hang up it stops. However, if I answer the call it remains playing.
    Last edited by smithj41; 06/03/2004 at 12:58 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by smithj41
    Phone Technician Bug: The mp3 continues to play when call is answered and is heard by caller and callee. Thanks

If call comes in and I click ignore it stops playing or if I hang up it stops. However, if I answer the call it remains playing.
    Odd - I can't replicate this on my treo. a few questions

what network?

How are you answering call (I have tested centre button and tapping on answer button with & without caller picture)

Do you have any other call-related software installed (lightwav, phoneguard, etc)

If so, can you see if this persists when they are disabled.
    Hobbyist Software
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Hi confusedvorlon, pardon my confusion but what does Phone Technician do that many other utility apps don't? I mean, there are so many apps that do the same/similar tasks that forking $4 here and anther $4 there seems silly. Between “LightWav,” “Clock,” “Today,” or “Profeo 600 Lite” I can pretty much do the same.
    If you've already shelled out for Lightwav -then I'm unlikely to add much.
    My aim is to provide the basic phone control features in one app and at a low price.
    It won't have nearly the complexity of something like Lightwav or Profeo Lite - but it will be cheaper than LightWav and more expensive than Profeo Lite!
    Hobbyist Software
    what network? ---Sprint CDMA

How are you answering call (I have tested centre button and tapping on answer button with & without caller picture) ---Center button; Butler has Phone Keyguard active.

Do you have any other call-related software installed (lightwav, phoneguard, etc) ---No
  14.    #14  
    OK - Looks like Sprint does things differently to Orange!

Can someone brave (who has the mp3 not stopping problem) run this debugging version to let me know what phone events are triggered to signal answering a call on sprint

There is a chance it will cause a crash - please don't run it unless you know how to restore your data. (it doesn't crash my treo - but it does do some unconventional stuff!)

It pops up the number of the phone event every time anything happens

Thanks in advance,

Instructions:
    select a midi funky ringer on old version
    Install debug version
    enable funky ringer

You will now get alerts popping up saying 'phone event x' just tap ok to dismiss them - we don't care about
    these ones!

Call yourself
    Note down what alerts you get immediately after you answer (you will have to dismiss alerts along the way to get to being able to answer)

Launch technician again, disable funky ringer and delete technician!

Let me know the 'answer' event

<edit> debug version removed. Bug now fixed
    Last edited by confusedvorlon; 06/07/2004 at 04:30 PM.
    Hobbyist Software
    Ok....Events 10 and 40 came up when I first called.

Then the mp3 started playing and event 8 displayed. I answered call and no event displayed.

The next event occurred when I hung up from the home phone. This event was 11 and when I okayed this event the mp3 stopped, so I believe this is the one you are looking for.
    Why doesn't someone write an MP3 app that simply emulates, without further bells and whistles, the treo sound Prefs? Lightwave is too unreliable. Butler only deals with alarms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem
    Why doesn't someone write an MP3 app that simply emulates, without further bells and whistles, the treo sound Prefs? Lightwave is too unreliable. Butler only deals with alarms.
    Why do you say Lightwav is unreliable? I think it's one of the best programs available!
    Phone Technician only handles MP3? Will it handle wav files as well? If I understand it correctly, it also makes use of PTunes to play mp3s right? However, since it doesn't discern between someone who's in the treo's directory and someone who isn't, does that mean it will only play 1 mp3 for anyone who calls? It would be nice if it would be made so that you can, at the very least, assign two different ring tones (either mp3 or wav or midi even) for listed and unlisted callers. THEN this would be worth buying. Suffice to say, I bought treo butler (when it was still called that) and I'm still waiting for the next big thing. I hope this will be it. Good work all around CV, keep it up!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    Phone Technician only handles MP3? <snip> I'm still waiting for the next big thing. I hope this will be it. Good work all around CV, keep it up!
    Thanks!

At the moment, it only plays what PocketTunes plays (MP3, Ogg, Other?)
    I may add differentiation for known/unknown at some point.
    First I have to actually make it work at all on all networks!

As to the next big thing though - that is without a doubt ArrowLauncher!
    Hobbyist Software
  20.    #20  
    Version 0.2 should fix the problem where answering the call wasn't recognised on some networks (so the ringer just kept ringing). Let me know if this isn't the case.
    A handy? side effect is that Technician now behaves like the treo and stops the ringer if you press any key (where is that 'any key anyway?)

Also - it turns out pocketTunes plays wav files - so you can now record your own ringtones with SoundRec and play them with Technician.

My phone now says ring ring when someone calls.

Finally - I'm thinking of adding ability to turn the screen off during calls as a phone technician feature. Can people let me know what you would like?
    - off after x seconds
    - off if hardkey x pressed

I've managed to turn the screen off during a call on my treo - but I believe there are issues around carkit (whatever that is) and other things. Can anyone let me know in advance what problems I'm likely to be up against?
    Hobbyist Software
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast