Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Upgraded from CROW 1.12 (3.04) to ROW 1.12 (3.05) and now everytime when I hotsync I have the file above (262 KB)... Usually the biggest file in the sync...

Is there a safe way to get rid of this file alltogether?
    Last edited by t6_geek; 06/02/2004 at 01:44 PM.
    I'd rather be on my Bike!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mine grew & grew & grew until it was 2MB. So one day I decided to delete it & my all of my accounts & email in the 'Mail' app were gone. I had to start all over again.

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
  3.    #3  
    Sounds like a bug if they need .25 MB just to store a couple of strings... probably not more than 250 bytes total...
    I'd rather be on my Bike!
    This is a known issue - it's the email data file for the Handspring email program - it doesn't clean itself up, but grows and grows, primarily when you send outbound email w/ attachments. Deleting it periodically is a viable option, but as mentioned above you have to recreate your email account settings. No fixes for it are known at this time.
    if this is a "known issue", why can't I find this file on my Treo? I've never seen it during syncing, and I can't find it in the Info screen from the Menu. and yes, I use the Mail software - I have five accounts in there, in fact.... I hae a Sprint CDMA T600, does that matter?
    Use FileZ to find this file.
    Definitely a concern, since the file can balloon quickly, but using ZLauncher (or other file manager), I just go in every few weeks and delete the file. Recreating the one email connection I have takes less than a minute.

Should the program work without the bug? Certainly. But if you just have the one connection (and are too lazy to try another email program ), not a huge deal IMHO.
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alohafriday
    Definitely a concern, since the file can balloon quickly, but using ZLauncher (or other file manager), I just go in every few weeks and delete the file. Recreating the one email connection I have takes less than a minute.

Should the program work without the bug? Certainly. But if you just have the one connection (and are too lazy to try another email program ), not a huge deal IMHO.
    I agree. For me, I have tried most of the other email programs out there & don't care for any of them. InboxToGo was pretty good though.

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Hmmmm. This is interesting. I also had a huge file (approx. 6.5 MB), and using FileZ, I deleted it and then recreated my sole e-mail account, anticipating that the file would start to grow again. But so far, after a couple of days of fairly heavy e-mailing, the file has not reappeared. I wonder if it has something to do with the earlier firmware (I'm on Cingular and have done the upgrade) allowing the big file buildup, but the latest version does not. Or maybe it just takes a while for the file to start to reappear. In any case, I now have 15 MB free in memory so I'm happy.
    I think it has to do with attachements and saving and or sending them
    Yep, you're right. I've just uploaded and downloaded a few camera files and Email_libr_HsMp_BCC3A746.PDB is back. Only 650K at the moment, but growing. At least the fix - delete and reinstall email accounts - is relatively simple.
    Another alternative to deleting the inflated email account. Most people probalby are fine deleting the old inflated account and replacing it with a new trim one, but for those who want to keep their legacy email or sent items, here is a trick I use. It seems to work for me.

1. Rename the account in the account properties tab -- Rename "Yahoo" to "Yahoo_04June"

2. Use FileZ or Zlauncher to move the associated mail data file into an "archived email folder" on your SD card.

3. Set up a new email account with the same attributes as the formerly "Yahoo" I had moved to the card. (In my case this new account had a completely different file name "Email_libr....." even though the account attributes were the same)

4. Since the file names are different (and the account names are different "Yahoo" vs. "Yahoo_04June"), you can access the 'archived' email by copying it back to RAM when needed, reading whichever archived messages (or sent items) you need to see, and then deleting it again.

5. I've been very careful about doing this, so that I am not trying to sync two mail data files to the same account--Turn off any auto-syncing or scheuduled downloads. (i.e. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't sync a mail file after it's been archived to the card)
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I dont have this problem. I use the default mail client alot. Maybe try deleting the things in your "deleted" box. Does that help?
    I have a related question... is there a way to get this email program now if you did NOT do the firmware upgrade? (which I did not)
    It's the same email program from the original Handspring GSM units, but I believe it is different in the Sprint units. The GSM upgrades didn't change anything on the program as far as I knnow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetprop
    It's the same email program from the original Handspring GSM units, but I believe it is different in the Sprint units. The GSM upgrades didn't change anything on the program as far as I knnow.
    Sorry, I should have clarified ... I have a Sprint Treo 600 and I was wondering if I can get the PalmOne email app WITHOUT having to do the firmware upgrade.
    bump....

Someone has to be able to write a fix to purge the file down to bare minimum size without having to delete all your accounts.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    bump....

Someone has to be able to write a fix to purge the file down to bare minimum size without having to delete all your accounts.
    If you are not interested in keeping old emails, try this.

Delete the offending file.

Set up new accounts from within mail.

Save a copy of the new file to a sd card in a temp directory.

Then when the offending file gets too big, just overwrite it with the file in the temp directory.

It works for me

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Seems to me this oould be an opportunity for a developer for an app that would automatically reroute this file to the SD card. It's owrth $10 to me. Smiley88 - what do you think??
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    If I knew how to program, I'd do it for half that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast