Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

I've spent about two days cleaning up butler and improving it. The idea is to make the code more solid and to clear out possible bugs. There are some improvements as well

attention Grabber:
    -LED now changes as soon as the 'grab' is triggered and persists until it is acknowledged (even if the alarms stop)
    -Missed calls only triggered as call is dropped (rather than on incoming)
    -answering call any way (headset, any key, screen etc) stops it being treated as a missed call

alternative keyguard
    - better still (though no doubt there will be some way of not getting the key to show!)

Alarms
    - you can now set so that the vibrate portion of alarms (and attention grabs) will only go off if the mute switch is on. (I think someone owes me an extra purchase now!)

Bugfix
    - bug where keyguard was not getting cleared when alerts came now fixed.

Coding
    - generally more efficient, particularly in processing events - so should see slight performance & battery gains

Of course - with all this change, the chances are that one or two bugs have crept in so I'm looking for testers to check that stuff works before I load it up on Palmgear.
    Please let me know - both if everything works OK and if you get problems.

Enjoy

OK - 1.61 now up. I can't get the screen flicker to happen. Lets see if you can break it!
    <edit> attachment removed - 1.62 now at palmgear
    Last edited by confusedvorlon; 06/08/2004 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Upload 1.61
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    I cannot download it from Treo! "Unsupported file type"...
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon

Of course - with all this change, the chances are that one or two bugs have crept in so I'm looking for testers to check that stuff works before I load it up on Palmgear.
    Please let me know - both if everything works OK and if you get problems.

Enjoy
    I will load it now and revert to you tomorow
    There is no "vibrate when switched to off" feature. Also looks exactly the same. Can't find any changes
    This appears to be working perfectly for me (with your changes and features). These features are PERRRFECT (IMHO). Thank you sooo much.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    There is no "vibrate when switched to off" feature. Also looks exactly the same. Can't find any changes
    The screen looks the same (the about screen is changed). What I found is that if I have an alert (Old School Midi) and a Vibrate...

They both sound if the phone sound is on.

If the phone sound is muted - then only the vibrate will sound.

Either way - the led grabs your attention immediately...

Works well for what I was looking for... exactly what the dr ordered. Nice job!
  7.    #7  
    Re -vibrate only if ringer off

- this option is (pefhaps confusingly) in the preferences screen as it applies to all alarms.

Have faith Neo!
    Hobbyist Software
    Doesn't look good to me.

I tried calling my Treo and not answering.

With the leave screen off option checked...I get NOTHING! I get no LED, no vibrate, no sound, nothing.

With the leave screen off option not checked...my screen is flashing quickly on and off periodically (every 30 seconds to a minute I guess). And I also get nothing! No LED, no vibrate, no sound.

I've got my repeat every set to 5m.

I guess I can try an uninstall and reinstall and post back if it behaves any differently...
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Same behavior after a complete un-install and re-install.

I reverted back to 1.5 which works fine again.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00
    With the leave screen off option not checked...my screen is flashing quickly on and off periodically (every 30 seconds to a minute I guess)
    I am getting the same screen flashing on and off as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I am getting the same screen flashing on and off as well.
    Me too. About every 30 seconds after an alert has finished repeating.
    I also have no more backlight. When I hold down option+p, it does not brighten or dim. I uninstalled Butler & all is well now. Thanx for your patience Confused! Nonetheless a great program!!
    When I first did a hotsync of 1.6 over 1.5. The result was the similar erratic behavior described by others. Then I did a complete deletion of Butler and a reinstall....everything has worked as advertised ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by catbert00
    Doesn't look good to me.

I tried calling my Treo and not answering.

With the leave screen off option checked...I get NOTHING! I get no LED, no vibrate, no sound, nothing.

With the leave screen off option not checked...my screen is flashing quickly on and off periodically (every 30 seconds to a minute I guess). And I also get nothing! No LED, no vibrate, no sound.

I've got my repeat every set to 5m.

I guess I can try an uninstall and reinstall and post back if it behaves any differently...
  14.    #14  
    OK - clearly some problems here!
    I just tried calling myself and got no attention manager kick in at all.
    It worked when I tested it last night!

I also found that the led isn't resetting properly after attention grab.

I'll have a dig in tonight...

Thanks for testing this - please be patient, I think the new version will be better when the bugs are ironed out.
    Hobbyist Software
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I also have no more backlight. When I hold down option+p, it does not brighten or dim. I uninstalled Butler & all is well now. Thanx for your patience Confused! Nonetheless a great program!!
    This one is really wierd - Butler doesn't get involved with the p key (or the contrast key) are you sure this happened with Butler?
    Hobbyist Software
    RE: the screen flashing on and off after an alert - I see this once in a while - ONLY - when I use the Butler Keyguard. I have never noticed it if I turn off the Butler Keyguard.

Also - do you use MLIGHTS? I do - wonder if this has something to do with it.
    My screen is flashing on and off even when no alert has come in. It's not only after an alert. It's just doing it completely randomly.

No, I do not use Mlights.
  18.    #18  
    I'm pretty sure the AK is the culprit here. If you turn on, don't diosable the AK, then turn off - it isn't clearing the AK alarm - so is still turning on the screen to turn the screen off.

Alerts just seem to exacerbate this...
    Hobbyist Software
    Go man go! Your software increases the usefullness of my Treo 10-fold, so I appreciate the fact that you proactively trying to prevent future bugs by rewriting your code.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Just to chime in as well, I too am getting a blinking screen with the new version. It does it even when an alert has not gone off...

Keith
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast