Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    sorry - I haven't got round to installing java / webviewer etc to debug this. It is still on the bug list. I've had a look at the code and can't see anything obvious. Sorry for the delay.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  2.    #142  
    sorry - I haven't got round to installing java / webviewer etc to debug this. It is still on the bug list. I've had a look at the code and can't see anything obvious. Sorry for the delay.

can you confirm that it is still grabbing attention when the 'no attention grab when in java' is selected?
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Hello Confused,

I wanted to make you aware of an issue I found that affects the Treo 650 in conjunction with Butler. My 650 was resetting on each hotsync during the installation phase. I performed a complete uninstall of the legacy T600/Handspring software this morning and did a hard reset. I then tested again with a large file (MapopolisVoice.pdb) which is over 2MB in size. I incrementally reinstalled each of my apps one by one and tested them using the large file install.

I finally narrowed down the problem to installing when Butler has the "K Launch" function enabled.

I thought you and the T|C members should know, so you can address the issue, and they can eliminate some head-scratching for those who are trying to Hotsync their 650's.

Perhaps this issue is just limited to me, but perhaps others can replicate the bug as well. I could sometimes reproduce it with the Volume Buttons enabled as well.

Thanks, and I hope this information was helpful.
    Last edited by phildro; 12/18/2004 at 12:59 PM.
    My Treo 650 was also soft resetting when synching large files directly to ram (~>2MB files which also happened to be for Mapopolis). (I was able to synch the large files directly to the SD card and then copy them to RAM.) I removed Butler and AvantGo and the synch problem went away. I didn't test further but the problem sounds identical to phildro's Butler problem.
  5.    #145  
    wow - that's really random!
    I can't imagine what the problem could be. I'll try adding some code to disable everything during hotsync.
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I too have a treo 650 and had to remove Butler for the time being because my treo was soft resetting during HotSync. Without butler there I have had no resets. Disabling during HotSync would be great as I really want butler on my Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    After some more testing, it seems like I can get the resets to happen if any one of the following features are enabled: Volume Buttons, Attention Grabber, K Launch and Alternative Keyguard--- I GUESS THAT'S BASICALLY MOST FUNCTIONS!

This only happens during install and can be most reliably replicated by syncing a large file. Other times, small files may install correctly if there are only a few, but if you are installing many things, it fails somewhere in the middle.

Seems like a memory stack overflow or something where Butler is interfering with a buffer used during install sync?

Just some thoughts, for what they're worth.
    This is pretty interesting. Although I have not confirmed that butler is the cause of it, I have the exact same problem that Phildro has outlined. I do have butler activated and the only feature I use is the "attention manager."

As Phildro mentioned (when you have this problem) this can be reliably replicated by trying to install a very large file via hotsync. I might try completely deleting butler and then seeing if installing a large file will cause a reset as it usually does for me.

Again, I want to make clear that (although I do have the exact same problem mentioned here) I do not know if butler is the cause of my hotsync reset problem. I should also note that I am using a Treo 650 and when I had the Treo 600 this problem never occured.

Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    After some more testing, it seems like I can get the resets to happen if any one of the following features are enabled: Volume Buttons, Attention Grabber, K Launch and Alternative Keyguard--- I GUESS THAT'S BASICALLY MOST FUNCTIONS!

This only happens during install and can be most reliably replicated by syncing a large file. Other times, small files may install correctly if there are only a few, but if you are installing many things, it fails somewhere in the middle.

Seems like a memory stack overflow or something where Butler is interfering with a buffer used during install sync?

Just some thoughts, for what they're worth.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 12/18/2004 at 03:01 PM.
    Using Butler 2.4 on a Treo 650...

Good news: enabling the "Sidekey=select" option is the only way I've seen to allow application selection in Launcher X without a stylus...excellent!

Bad news: enabling the "Sidekey=select" option makes a couple of other useful functions unuseable: the Sidekey double click option for KB LightsOff and Sidekey press/hold for app launch (useful for Voicedial).

confusedvorlorn, can the side key be made "considerate" of whether it's pressed once, twice, or held so that these other great uses of the side button can be preserved?
    Last edited by acousticbiker; 12/18/2004 at 03:02 PM.
  10.    #150  
    I'll definitely try to make sidekey 'considerate' - though I may have limited succes until the GSM 650 is released and I have a testing platform.

As to the hotsync issue - I should have a release fairly quickly that disables itself during hotsync. We'll see if that fixes things.
    Hobbyist Software
    Wow, I am glad I found this thread.

All of a sudden (this morning) I couldn't get my Treo to install new apps or backup from the Hotsync (thank goodness for BackupBuddy) it would just reset. In fact when my Treo reset it would actually erase it's Hotsync ID and other random files. Very annoying.

I read this thread and removed Butler from my device :-( but it solved my hotsync problem.

I can't wait until we have new version that should hopefully solve the hotsync problem. I can't live without the alarms and the attention manager.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Absolutely love Butler but after reading above posts I uninstalled Butler and now have not had any resets after hotsyncs or after backups (with BackupMan). Hope this issue is fixed because otherwise terrific product!
    I purchased butler. love it so far. except I still can't get the Hide SMS popup to work completely. when I get an sms the screen still turns on for a few seconds. anyway to fix this? or is this a known limitaiton where it sort of works?
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    I purchased butler. love it so far. except I still can't get the Hide SMS popup to work completely. when I get an sms the screen still turns on for a few seconds. anyway to fix this? or is this a known limitaiton where it sort of works?
    if you have a 650 you this is now built in to the OS. Go to prefs/sound/messaging and look around. You'll see it
    i have the 650 and in preferences show message alerts and show receipt alerts are unchecked and i still get a popup.

treobutler please help...
  16.    #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    that's how it works, butler just tries to dismiss the alert as soon as it shows. It should be a few fractions of a second rather than a few seconds though. Is that what you get?
    Hobbyist Software
    Mine opens for about 29 seconds...
  18.    #158  
    ok - that's wrong, but I probably won't be able to fix it until I can get a GSM 650. sorry.
    Hobbyist Software
    Is there a chance of implementing some sort of keyboard light turnoff? It would reduce the need for me to load another app.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Is there a chance of implementing some sort of keyboard light turnoff? It would reduce the need for me to load another app.
    definitely an option - but again, It will probably have to wait for me to get a 650.
    Hobbyist Software
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast