Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. peridoc's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
       #1  
    For those of you currently using Butler I was wondering if you noticed any battery drain when using the attention grabber. My battery level seems to drop quicker when this feature is active as opposed to when I use TreoAlertMgr. I just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this.

    Thanks,
    Keith
  2. #2  
    I have been using Butler since the first version, and have not noticed anything different with this one, but I will pay more attention and report back if I do.
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
  3. #3  
    For quite a while now, I've noticed that if I set "Butler" to flash the led green, I get a significant drain on the battery. I only use the (flash quick green) led feature and don't use audible alerts and I have the screen set to stay off.

    It's true that I never had a battery drain with TreoAlertMgr, but that didn't have a flashing-led option, so I'm not sure if this is just something we have to live with.


    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc
    For those of you currently using Butler I was wondering if you noticed any battery drain when using the attention grabber. My battery level seems to drop quicker when this feature is active as opposed to when I use TreoAlertMgr. I just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this.

    Thanks,
    Keith
  4. #4  
    Yep, same here.

    Just 2 days ago, my Treo displayed the critical battery level warning (for the first time EVER)! Lucky for me, I was at home and so I immediately plugged it into the charger. I relised then that the LED was flashing rapidly and when I turned on the device, the flashing asterisk was blinking.

    I also use the silent alert config (no sounds, just LED flashes). Also, my battery level has NEVER fell below 30% before so I'm gonna have to attribute this to Butler. I'm using v1.62 btw.

    Hopefully cv reads this and takes another look into the code.
  5. #5  
    Hi Folks,

    There was an issue long ago with butler draining battery. I think that has been sorted out.

    It will use slightly more battery just to have it installed - it has to monitor events to see if it needs to react - but this is a pretty small drain.

    If you're interested in what other apps are monitoring events - run alarm list and press the notifications button. 'hede' is the notification that corresponds to 'any event'. If the response to this is coded badly (NB I think the butler code here is extremely efficient!), then battery / speed drain is possible.

    Also - putting the LED into perma-flash will probably drain battery (light=power). Not much I can do about that - it's a choice you take if you enable the led feature.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  6. #6  
    I have tried Butler and removed it. I noticed a significant battery drain.

    My main reason for trying Butler was for the ALERT function, and my setup seemed to produce a significant drain.

    I'm sure many others would find other functions of great value and in this respect it is a great app. But, for me, it's usefulness is of little value.
  7. #7  
    hmm - no major or noticable battery drain for me...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Hi Folks,

    There was an issue long ago with butler draining battery. I think that has been sorted out.

    It will use slightly more battery just to have it installed - it has to monitor events to see if it needs to react - but this is a pretty small drain.

    If you're interested in what other apps are monitoring events - run alarm list and press the notifications button. 'hede' is the notification that corresponds to 'any event'. If the response to this is coded badly (NB I think the butler code here is extremely efficient!), then battery / speed drain is possible.

    Also - putting the LED into perma-flash will probably drain battery (light=power). Not much I can do about that - it's a choice you take if you enable the led feature.
    When Butler sounds an alarm for an incoming SMS message and it continues to alarm for a long time, say over an hour, the Treo 600 completely freezes with the screen on. I've seen this three times now across several of the latest versions. I've got Butler set to alarm every minute for 1000 times (the max). On three occasions I was not in the same room with the Treo so I didn't respond to the alarm for 1-2 hours. Each time, when I finally came into the room and grabbed the Treo it was hung with the screen on. I had to perform a soft reset each time. Just thought I'd pass this on.
  9. #9  
    When i press the LED Features on Treo Butler, my treo soft resets.
    We are being watched, and I dont care anymore.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sabianq
    When i press the LED Features on Treo Butler, my treo soft resets.
    This one - I can fix!
    It means your preference file has been corrupted (I'm not sure how this is happening). You can fix it by deleting the preferences with an app like filez.

    Re the battery drain - there will certainly be some drain due to the fact that butler is effectively rnning in the background all the time. I have never noticed this to be siginficant. Similarly - playing alarms every min, or flashing led will cause some drain. To play them - butler has to wake up the palm (even if it doesn't turn the screen on) - so that will use battery - I haven't tested how much drain there is - but there has to be some!

    I'd reccomend setting the alarm to repeat 5-10 times, then reyling on the led flash. If you're really tight on battery - you'd be better avoiding using the LED at all.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  11. #11  
    [QUOTE=confusedvorlon]
    If you're interested in what other apps are monitoring events - run alarm list and press the notifications button. 'hede' is the notification that corresponds to 'any event'. QUOTE]

    What is "alarm list" I would be interested in seeing this list because when ever my treo is soft reset the phone app is started and then immediately stopped and then started and then stopped again.
  12. #12  
    does anyone notice using butler that your registration code seems to disappear after a while and the "ahem" thing starts up again?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cingularguy1234
    does anyone notice using butler that your registration code seems to disappear after a while and the "ahem" thing starts up again?
    Only after a hard reset. Or after installing a new version of Butler.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
  14. #14  
    [QUOTE=brainodo]
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    If you're interested in what other apps are monitoring events - run alarm list and press the notifications button. 'hede' is the notification that corresponds to 'any event'. QUOTE]

    What is "alarm list" I would be interested in seeing this list because when ever my treo is soft reset the phone app is started and then immediately stopped and then started and then stopped again.


    I would also be interested in this info.

    Thank you.

Posting Permissions