1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am using some ringtones in MIDI format in my Treo 600. What I have experienced is, the MIDI player (or the h/w synth??) in treo 600 is very bad. I was not expecting the same quality with the desktop pc, but when I've tried the same MIDIs with my wifes Ericsson T610, it was really good, and my wife made a lot of fun about me and my Treo

Does anyone have an idea about a replacement of the built in midi player? I don't want to use the MP3 players for the ring tones, so I need a better midi player.
    I noticed teh same thing. When I play a MIDI on the computer it sounds very nice and after putting it on the Treo and hearing it, it almost doesnt sound like the same song. When I hear the same thing on a Sanyo 8100 it sounds almost the same as teh computer but louder which is also nice. A better MIDI player would be nice
    The Treo only supports 16 polyphonic tones.
    The T610 supports 32.
    I believe the Sanyo 8100 supports 32 as well.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Alternatively, you can use your favourite MIDI synth on your desktop and record and encode the tone as mp3 format.

But I guess the file size of the ringtones would end up to be much larger.
    what programs are you guys using to have midi files as your ringtone? or is it possible to use midi files without a 3rd party app? is it possible to use any type of ringtone without a 3rd party app/
    Quote Originally Posted by jonchang
    what programs are you guys using to have midi files as your ringtone? or is it possible to use midi files without a 3rd party app? is it possible to use any type of ringtone without a 3rd party app/

Lightwav is the program u can use, which does require Pocket Tunes.
  7.    #7  
    For the midi files, you don't need any external application. All you need to do is to download the midi files with blazer from web. But there is another way, which is I use more:
    - hotsync the midi file, write it to the card
    - Open blazer (web) and enter the URL to open "file://audio/[name of the midi file that you have put into file] (like "file:///audio/bach.mid")
    - The bowser will ask you if you want to download it or not
    - say yes
    - when the download is complete, click open
    - write a name to save as
    - The midi file is now in your sounds list.

if the file is bigger than 64K it will complain about the size and tell you that it can't be used as a ringtone. But I managed to use them.

On the other hand, lightwave is not capable to play midi files
    Since its 16 tones rite, is there any possibility to upgrade?I mean is software capable of upgrading the tones to maybe 40 tones?
    I think the real issue isn't so much the 16 note polyphony, but rather the soundset itself. Keep in mind the limited space on the Treo and that your PC soundcard may have 8 or 16MB just for the soundset (i.e. the instrument samples used to playback the synth). Some other phones place higher emphasis on ringtones, so they have higher polyphony and higher quality soundsets. My guess is that the soundset on the Treo is either a) extremely small and compressed(and poorly recorded at that), or b) entirely synthesized (rather than PCM based like most PC soundcards these days). If it is the latter, there is really no way to improve the quality of the MIDI ringtones, short of someone creating a new application and soundset for MIDI playback. I don't see that happening, so I think we're stuck with a rather lackluster device in terms of MIDI ringtone quality.
    when I try to access ("file://audio/[name of the midi file that you have put into file] (like "file:///audio/bach.mid") in blazer I get unknown error. URL file://audio/silent.mid. does anyone have anything else that would work?
    use three "/".
    Thanks ManofTrueGod, I got it in there and appreciate the help.
    No problem.