1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I searched the forumn, but didn't find a thread on this (unless somehow I missed it).

Since the update on my Cingular phone I have noticed two issues:

1) GPRS has slowed to a crawl. I don't have the slow shutdown, but when I try to use GPRS, it is so slow it is unusable.

2) It won't let me leave a data call connected when I dial a call (I guess this is a feature, but annoying). I typically leavel GPRS connected for VeriChat, but when I try to dial a call, it forces a disconnect of GPRS.

The first issue is not workable, the second is very annoying. Anyone else have similar issues?
  2.    #2  
    Mystery solved.

After reading several other threads, I was able to determine that I was using CSD (Circuit Switched Data) instead of GPRS. I upgraded the firmware right before a week long trip to London, so I was worried that might have affected things.

After I talked to Customer Service and got through to Support, the support rep mentioned that my phone was coming up "registration unknown". She cleared the error and it was a go. GPRS back again and much, much faster than CSD, instant connection to the network, etc.

I asked the rep if this was normal and she said no, she said usually a soft reset of the phone would fix this (I didn't have the heart to tell her I soft reset the thing about 10 times, hard reset, downgraded f/w, etc.)

Anyway, back to normal again, so I wanted to pass along my findings.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Out of curiosity, is there anyway to check this outside of calling Cingular? I have noticed the same thing, but I am assuming I am still using GPRS.

Did you call Cingular support or Palmone?

Thanks.
    Whenever you have 2 black arrows above your signal strength meter going one in each direction, you are using CSD (dial up connection). When the arrows are green, your are connected via gprs. If you go to "network" in prefs, you should be able to select either Cingular (CSD), or Cingular Express (gprs) as your method of connection.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  5.    #5  
    Noahas: The weird thing was I was using GPRS in London (this didn't really shock me, since most European countries I have gotten better quality than back in the US )

I didn't bother calling PalmOne, I knew it wasn't their problem. I called Cingular and when I got to tech support (past Customer Service) they got me going.

If I go to Network in Prefs, the fallback on Cingular Express is Cingular. I am guessing this is what happened to me. Also, If I look at the connection type on Cingular, it shows ISDN. This confused me, does ISDN == CSD?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Excellent, thanks for the help!

One other question. I have in my prefs-network dropdown an option for "Cingular", "Cingular Express", and then 3 different "Cingular Express Copy" options, are these multiple "copy" versions some kind of corruption, can I delete them, or just leave them all alone?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    Excellent, thanks for the help!

One other question. I have in my prefs-network dropdown an option for "Cingular", "Cingular Express", and then 3 different "Cingular Express Copy" options, are these multiple "copy" versions some kind of corruption, can I delete them, or just leave them all alone?

Thanks.
    You can delete the copies.
    These are made by selecting the origninal version which is locked and then hitting the modify button. It won't let you change the original settings, so it makes a copy for you to modify.
    Unless you had a specific reason for creating the copies, it is safe to get rid of them.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Great! Thanks for your help.
  9.    #9  
    The question you didn't ask was, gee... why are there two copies of Cingular and 3 of Cingular Express. Seemed silly to me and I never found out the answer. Also, the older f/w had less.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    As per MovieGene's response, the copies came from my "exploring" the Treo settings, and using the "modify" button. I didn't realize this was the source until his post.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    As per MovieGene's response, the copies came from my "exploring" the Treo settings, and using the "modify" button. I didn't realize this was the source until his post.
    I wasn't talking about "Copy of Cingular Express" that gets created when you click the Modify button. I was talking about the 2 copies of 'Cingular' and the 3 copies of 'Cingular Express' that automatically show up. The point was, why would you want more than 1 copy of each. If you can't delete them the extra Cingular and 2 extra Cingular Express make NO sense.
    awesome thread...this is my exact prob

thanks