Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The treo ended up in water by mistake. it kept working for a little bit but since then the keys have started to misbehave and so has the touch screen. its still in the first 30days of purchase (through attws)
    any recommendations on what to do? any suggestions??
    Quote Originally Posted by thedutt
    The treo ended up in water by mistake. it kept working for a little bit but since then the keys have started to misbehave and so has the touch screen. its still in the first 30days of purchase (through attws)
    this must be a day for treo-in-water.

my treo slipped into a cup with about 1/2 inch of water in it. It fell in sync port down. I shook it like a polaroid picture to get water out, but was rushing to meet a deadline and couldn't give it my full attention.

10 minutes later an inbound call came in, but I couldn't answer. The phone just rang and rang and rang and rang -- FOR SIX HOURS. After the first 20 minutes I switched it to vibrate mode then back to ringer and it sounded something awful. Like a dying dying treo.

I tried the reset pin and power button combos.

Finally, six hours later the reset pin worked, but the device just stops at the "Palm Powered" screen.

I've got a VERY important trip this week. Looks like I'll be buying another treo tomorrow. No advice for you but I really do feel your pain.

My mom's palm died this week and I ordered her a Zire 72 which came in today. I've thought about keeping it for myself it's Soooooo lightweight and the camera is awesome! They should put that cam in the treo.,
    - ag47
    Quote Originally Posted by agnok47
    My mom's palm died this week and I ordered her a Zire 72 which came in today. I've thought about keeping it for myself it's Soooooo lightweight and the camera is awesome! They should put that cam in the treo.,
    FYI, it's rumored the next treo will have a 1.3 MP camera... However the Z72 cam is rather disappointing imho...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sorry to hear about your accident, thedutt.
    The key element in trying to cure a drowned device (a treo, a cell phone, laptop etc.) is that you don't turn it on! Don't operate it in any way and resisist the urge to turn it on just once to see that it's still working.
    Disassemble it as much as possible. Take out the battery (not the treo obviously), memory card. Preferably take it apart even further if you're comfortable with doing that. Don't worry about your warranty, a drowned device is no longer covered anyway.
    Then let it dry on its own or with the help of a hair dryer (but not too hot).
    Once you're sure it's completely dry inside, reassemble and try it out.
    Last edited by Milkman; 05/30/2004 at 05:53 AM.
    I did not take mines apart. I initally popped it against my hand to release the water that would come out, then I gave it a couple of days to dry out. My functions all returned in a couple of days except for a few keys that would not operate properly.

Using 91% alcohol and a baby's medicine dropper to administer, I held it at an upward angle and squirted about 3 small drops on the keys that were stuck and wiggled the keys. The alcohol disvolved the residue and restored the keys to their normal function.

Good luck!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Take it back to ATT, say it doesn't work and get a new one. Unless it has rust on it I doubt they will say anything.
    "If it's new, I've got to have it."
  7.    #7  
    thanks for you kind words everyone. I wanted to switch it off when it feel, but alsa was unable to find the appropriate power button (treo being very very new in my hands). Im OOC , and when i return i hope the treo works. I will try hard reset and then exchange before opening it up.

Gracias everyone!
    I had the same thing and took it to the sprint store for the tech to check out. Tech said nothing was wrong and reinstalled operating system.

Still had the problem and went to different store and another tech said it checked out fine. I got luckey and I must be convincing because I talked with the store manager and she replaced it with a new one and she only had two in stock.

NOw I am unluckey, My Choc Lab yes a retriever decided she would chew on my
    Treo for awhile and then brought it to me with her tail waging. It still works mostly except for the C key which no longer exsists.

Does my Link Lock Insurance cover this or should I go the Stolen route?

Does my Link Lock Insurance cover this or should I go the Stolen route?[/QUOTE]

"lock line" should cover physical damage, even if you run it over with a car
    Quote Originally Posted by gglook46
    ... I got luckey and I must be convincing because I talked with the store manager ...
    You got lucky with the store manager ???

Sorry OT
    gglook46:

Are you saying that the store was UNABLE to determine that the phone was dropped in water???????????
    ouch sorry maqn
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    You people do know that you're supposed to turn off your cell phones and all electronics for that matter if you drop it in water right? And keep it off for three days. It's not a guarantee that your device will work again after that but it does minimize short circuiting risks.
    which i knew that before i dropped it in water o well know for the next time
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Dropping the phone in water may change its emissions and you could be subjecting yourself to a microwave emission WAY over the allowed limits, both in terms of SAR and mW/cm2.

Really a phone dropped in water should be changed.

see www.safelevel.com/cellsensor
    You dropped it in, you pay for it LOL. Put it down to experience. I don't think a new Treo is worth sticking your neck out and trying the stolen routine. Can you not claim it on your house insurance and do it that way? Will you be taking phone insurance on the next one?
    I submerged my T600 in a cup of coke. I immediately shook it like a thermomerter, then used a hairdryer. It worked just fine.
    Math 6:33 But seek first His righteousness,and all these things will be given to you as well.

I am dead serious about this idea of baking it in the oven of you get it wet...
    I have baked sensitive electronics to dry out water and have a good track record do far.

Not hot enough to ruin it but hot enough to Put the oven on 150 degrees. the inside of a car in the sun gets at least that hot!

Lay it on a tray in the oven and bake it for about 30 minutes... you will be surprised what you can bring back to life.

The idea here is to get the really hidden moisture to release and vaporize... If not it will just stay in there collecting on all the different surfaces.. Especially if the humidity is high enough...

Trust me.. I helped a guy bring back a $500 electronic Distributor for a Corvette using this technique.. He profusely thanked me..

Oh! Let it cool completely before powering up again...
    Dropped mine in the toilet while changing in a bathroom...... Yanked out the SD Card, and went to the Sprint store and purchased a new one, and restored with Backupman. One week later, my Treo that was immersed in water was working again, and I returned the one I purchased for a full refund.

I will definitely be more careful, but for those who have had an accident, there is hope. Mine is just dandy.
    rule of life: if electronic unit drops in water, do not turn it on immediately. wait a few days and wait till water dries up before turning it on. chances of recovery are much higher this way.

jjennings did the smart thing - probably didn't turn on the wet treo till a week later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast