Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 receives Email from my Bellsouth.net account but won't send. I've tried everything I can think of to make it work, but it won't.

Error that I get: We were unable to connect to the server: mail.bellsouth.net.. Please go to the Server tab...

Current settings: Name tab: my name, email address, username and password. Server tab: Incoming and Outgoing Servers are set to mail.bellsouth.net. Advanced tab I've tried putting in my username and password and also without.

Any thoughts? tia

Ken
    are you sprint? if so, outgoing server should be smtp.sprintpcs.com
    your username and password are your vision ones. that's what I've got. hope it helps
  3.    #3  
    No, it's a bellsouth account.
    He means what's your cell provider? You can't use Bellsouth because you can't authenticate through their SMTP server since you're not online with a Bellsouth IP. You need to use the SMTP server of whoever your cell provider is. That's why he asked if it was Sprint.
    Incomimg and outgoing servers are never the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Incomimg and outgoing servers are never the same.
    That's not necessarily true.
    Well thats why his isn't working.

Usually pop incoming, smtp outgoing, and more than llikely server needs authentication, password.

Sprint, Ameritech, SBC, Yahoo.
    That's not why. He's trying to use Bellsouth's server but he can't because he's online through his cell provider. If he puts that in, whether he has Sprint, Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile, it will work.
  9.    #9  
    My cell provider is AT&T. My email account is with Bellsouth.

In outlook express I use

Mail server is a POP3
    Incoming mail (pop3): mail.bellsouth.net
    Outgoing mail (smpt): mail.bellsouth.net
    Doubtful, you should trying being helpful instead of wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken23
    My cell provider is AT&T. My email account is with Bellsouth.

In outlook express I use

Mail server is a POP3
    Incoming mail (pop3): mail.bellsouth.net
    Outgoing mail (smpt): mail.bellsouth.net
    Those settings work in Outlook because you're online with your computer through Bellsouth. The way most ISP's work is that if you're not online through them, you can't use their SMTP server. It's to fight spam and hacking. On your Treo when you check mail, you're using AT&T as your ISP. Therefore you have to use AT&T's SMTP server and that will work. You need to find out what their server is and if you need to authenticate with a username and password.
    Doubtful, you should trying being helpful instead of wrong.
    Umm, I work for an ISP, I think I know what I'm talking about. Pick up a book and you'll see that I'm right.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    Umm, I work for an ISP, I think I know what I'm talking about. Pick up a book and you'll see that I'm right.
    Means nothing, some of the dumbiest I have heard work support.
    Means nothing, some of the dumbiest I have heard work support.
    Well, you're right about that. However, listen very carefully, the problem is not that he's using the same server for incoming and outgoing. My webhost has the same for both. The problem is SMTP authentication pure and simple. He needs to use AT&T's SMTP server, whatever that may be. End of story.
  15.    #15  
    That makes total sense, thanx.
    My Treo 600 receives Email from my Bellsouth.net account but won't send. I've tried everything I can think of to make it work, but it won't.

Error that I get: We were unable to connect to the server: mail.bellsouth.net.. Please go to the Server tab...

Current settings: Name tab: my name, email address, username and password. Server tab: Incoming and Outgoing Servers are set to mail.bellsouth.net. Advanced tab I've tried putting in my username and password and also without.

Any thoughts? tia

Ken
    Enable the check box for My server requires SMTP authentication
    Well, you're right about that. However, listen very carefully, the problem is not that he's using the same server for incoming and outgoing. My webhost has the same for both. The problem is SMTP authentication pure and simple. He needs to use AT&T's SMTP server, whatever that may be. End of story.
    Enable the check box for My server requires SMTP authentication
    That makes total sense, thanx.
    From BellSouth
    What are settings for email?

Receiving and sending email requires you to setup your mail program to check for mail and direct your mail for forwarding.

The Receiving of email is done through the POP3 setting.

The sending of email is done through the SMTP setting.

How do I change or add settings?

The procedure for changing the settings is simple.

• Click on Tools
    • Select Accounts
    • Click on the Mail tab
    • Click on Add button and then on Mail
    • Enter your name as you want it to be displayed and click on Next
    • Enter the email address as username@maglobe.net and click on Next
    • In the box Incoming mail POP3 settings enter mail.maglobe.net
    • In the box Outgoing mail SMTP settings enter mail.maglobe.net
    • Click on Next
    • In the Account field, enter the account name as username@maglobe.net
    • In the Password field, enter your MaGlobe password
    • Click on Next and then on Finish
    • Highlight your mail account by clicking on it
    • Click on Properties
    • Select Servers
    • Enable the check box for My server requires SMTP authentication and enter your Account Name as username@maglobe.net and password in the settings section
    And he cannot authenticate through Bellsouth if he's not on Bellsouth. That's all there is to it.
    And he cannot authenticate through Bellsouth if he's not on Bellsouth. That's all there is to it.
    If he is using an email program and it's set properly, and his network settings are correct it doesn't matter where his email server is.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast