Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Also note that the Treo client only supports "CRAM-MD5" authentication (in addition to connect to Pop before send method), it does not support "LOGIN" authentication with the SMTP server.
    Some servers allow you to send if you authenticate with a 'receive' first, so maybe that's worth a try?
    Did this before many times, it did not work on my Treo, but only on my notebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    Also note that the Treo client only supports "CRAM-MD5" authentication (in addition to connect to Pop before send method), it does not support "LOGIN" authentication with the SMTP server.
    Will try this.
    Out of curiosity, what are are these methods?
    And if they do not work with Treo, why are these options included in the Treo client?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    Just tried with CRAM-MD5, same error message.
    I think I found the problem.
    Just roamed to another country during the weekend, and it all worked fine. It seems the problem attributes to China Mobile not supporting sending out mail via its GPRS network.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    And he cannot authenticate through Bellsouth if he's not on Bellsouth. That's all there is to it.
    Only if BellSouth is stupid. SMTP AUTH works from anywhere unless you go out of your way to break it.
    Quote Originally Posted by roamingphil
    Just tried with CRAM-MD5, same error message.
    What do you mean by 'just tried CRAM-MD5'? I had to re-compile our mail server with support for CRAM-MD5 and alter sendmail.cf and other files before I could get this to work. I kept looking at /var/log/maillog to see what the problem is and it took a day, but finally got it to work.

jrd
    I wish to use SprintPCS as my SMTP outgoing mail.

How do I find the username and password for Vision?

Mine simply logs on automatically.

========================
    ====== UPDATE ==========
    ========================

I found the Vision Username in Phone Info...

still not working...?!?!?!?
    Last edited by emsAARON; 07/16/2004 at 11:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken23
    My cell provider is AT&T. My email account is with Bellsouth.

In outlook express I use

Mail server is a POP3
    Incoming mail (pop3): mail.bellsouth.net
    Outgoing mail (smpt): mail.bellsouth.net

Change your Outgoing server to

SMTP.ATTWIRELESS.NET

This will fix your problem.

Regards
    Dennis
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Quote Originally Posted by emsAARON
    I wish to use SprintPCS as my SMTP outgoing mail.

How do I find the username and password for Vision?

Mine simply logs on automatically.

========================
    ====== UPDATE ==========
    ========================

I found the Vision Username in Phone Info...

still not working...?!?!?!?

What kind of error are you getting and what mail app are you using?
    I am using palmOne Mail v. 1.02a from Palm Source.

I get "LOGIN FAILED...We were unable to send mail using smtp.sprintpcs.com. Please go to the Server tab of Account settings to correct this."

I may need a password for Vision.
    "Is there anybody out there..." P.Floyd

I am still not able to send email.

Quote Originally Posted by emsAARON
    "Is there anybody out there..." P.Floyd

I am still not able to send email.

1) Call Sprint.

Request to talk to a Data Services Tech

Obtain the smtp server.

Find out if you need to use smtp authorization.

If so, find out what username and password you need to use.

Enter this information in the SMTP server are of your email client.
    If you do not have a email client, Get Eudora. It is free.

2) Good luck
    Help -- I'm lost here. I have been using the Treo mail app,and suddenly I can no longer send using the same smtp server (smtp.rcn.com) as always. It has worked fine for weeks and now...nothing but that error message. I tried changing my smtp setting to smtp.sprintpcs.com as someone suggested above but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Meanwhile, I'm able to use snappermail with the same smtp server (smtp.rcn.com), but I'd like to find a way to go back to the Treo Mail app, as I like it better.
    Thoughts?
    I am having the same issue as lorms. For 3 months using the same IP address for the POP 3 and SMTP Servers. This weekend, I could not send e-mails. Recving was not a problem.

Using SMTP.ATTWIRELESS.NET without a user name and without a password, fixed the problem and I can send again, but I kind of wonder why the change?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmnole81
    I am having the same issue as lorms. For 3 months using the same IP address for the POP 3 and SMTP Servers. This weekend, I could not send e-mails. Recving was not a problem.

Using SMTP.ATTWIRELESS.NET without a user name and without a password, fixed the problem and I can send again, but I kind of wonder why the change?
    It's possible that AT&T starting blocking port 25 for outside SMTP servers. A lot of ISP's are doing that so you have to use their SMTP server. It's another way to cut back on spam. Or maybe you should never have been able to send with the one you were on but for some reason you could and the company whose SMTP server you were using "fixed" it. That happens from time to time.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234