Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    If he is using an email program and it's set properly, and his network settings are correct it doesn't matter where his email server is.
    That is 100% incorrect. I'm not going to argue about this anymore. Most SMTP require IP authentication. If you're not online with Bellsouth, you can't user their server. I don't care whether you believe me or not. That's the way it is.
  2.    #22  
    From BellSouth
    What are settings for email?

Receiving and sending email requires you to setup your mail program to check for mail and direct your mail for forwarding.

The Receiving of email is done through the POP3 setting.

The sending of email is done through the SMTP setting.

How do I change or add settings?

The procedure for changing the settings is simple.

• Click on Tools
    • Select Accounts
    • Click on the Mail tab
    • Click on Add button and then on Mail
    • Enter your name as you want it to be displayed and click on Next
    • Enter the email address as username@maglobe.net and click on Next
    • In the box Incoming mail POP3 settings enter mail.maglobe.net
    • In the box Outgoing mail SMTP settings enter mail.maglobe.net
    • Click on Next
    • In the Account field, enter the account name as username@maglobe.net
    • In the Password field, enter your MaGlobe password
    • Click on Next and then on Finish
    • Highlight your mail account by clicking on it
    • Click on Properties
    • Select Servers
    • Enable the check box for My server requires SMTP authentication and enter your Account Name as username@maglobe.net and password in the settings section
    That's for outlook express.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    That is 100% incorrect. I'm not going to argue about this anymore. Most SMTP require IP authentication. If you're not online with Bellsouth, you can't user their server. I don't care whether you believe me or not. That's the way it is.
    Yes, and I stated that at the beginning, post 7.

Check box, my server requires authentication, password.
    Yes, and I stated that at the beginning, post 7.

Check box, my server requires authentication, password.
    But you've been saying all along he can use Bellsouth's server, he just has to select authenticate by password. That won't work because he's not connecting to the internet with Bellsouth, but AT&T instead. Virtually all ISP's will not let you authenticate if you are not connected through them. That is why he must use AT&T's server on his Treo.
    That doesn't even make sense !

I connect to a Sprint server to get my SBC Ameritech mail every 30 minutes.
    That doesn't even make sense !

I connect to a Sprint server to get my SBC Ameritech mail every 30 minutes.
    It makes sense. If ISP's didn't require IP authentication, then anyone could get a password and use anyone's server to send spam. I work for an ISP and we also have web/e-mail hosting. However people can't use our SMTP server if they're not connected through us. If they're online with Comcast, Verizon, SBC, etc, they use that SMTP server. This is the way virtually all major ISP's work. Do some research.
    It makes sense. If ISP's didn't require IP authentication, then anyone could get a password and use anyone's server to send spam. I work for an ISP and we also have web/e-mail hosting. However people can't use our SMTP server if they're not connected through us. If they're online with Comcast, Verizon, SBC, etc, they use that SMTP server. This is the way virtually all major ISP's work. Do some research.
    Ah, AT&T you have a different carrier for phone and data !

Now I remember why Sprint was appealing.

Yes, I remember going around with those idiots on the wifes Tungsten W with AT&T and the even dumber data service carrier.

and by the way, I had an Engineering Degree in Electronics Technology before there was an Internet, I don't need research, I have repaired and setup systems you'll only dream about touching.
    Have you listened to anything I said? You use the SMTP server of the provider you connect to the internet with, period. Since ken has AT&T, he will need to use AT&T's SMTP server. That's all there is to it. I'm done with this.
    Have you listened to anything I said? You use the SMTP server of the provider you connect to the internet with, period. Since ken has AT&T, he will need to use AT&T's SMTP server. That's all there is to it. I'm done with this.
    On Sprint, phone connects to Vision, email connects to the email service I specify, smtp, pop3 settings, smtp name, pop3 name, user name, password, simple.
    Not to add fuel to the fire...

However, I connect to my email server with the following settings. And I use Sprint.

POP3 - mail.servername.net
    SMTP - mail.servername.net

I don't have to use Sprint's SMTP server at all.

On my second email account (for work email) it's the same way.

FYI.
    Your not adding fuel, only making my point, thank you.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I must chime in here...not taking sides at all, but I have an ATT phone and my ISP is comcast. Anyway, I found that the standard email seems to work fine if I use the incoming and outgoing servers that comcast supplies, but if I try it with Snappermail, the outgoing mail does not work, it just times out. Just my 2 cents, and I know it works with the standard mail because I have tested it...and I dont know what the outgoing server is for ATT

I'll be honest with you guys, the name slinging is uncalled for. Just help the guy out if you can, I dont think he was trying to start a war...

rob
  13.    #33  
    No, not trying to start a war, just trying to send an email!

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by ken23
    No, not trying to start a war, just trying to send an email!

Cheers
    Some off us are just trying to help you.

From my own experience, I know that you're absolutely right: Many (though not all, if I may say) ISP's block IP ranges to assure they're only accepting outgoing mail from devices which are on their network. (Despite the fact that many of their tech support people are completely unaware of it.) And also, as you’ve said, I've had ISP's that use the same server for incoming and outgoing mail.

What makes this so funny, is that I just had the same kind of discussion with this guy, on a totally different subject.

In each of our conversations:

He was very wrong.
    He was extremely insulting, AND
    He never listened.

Frustrating isn't it.

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P
    From my own experience, I know that you're absolutely right: Many (though not all, if I may say) ISP's block IP ranges to assure they're only accepting outgoing mail from devices which are on their network. (Despite the fact that many of their tech support people are completely unaware of it.) And also, as you’ve said, I've had ISP's that use the same server for incoming and outgoing mail.

What makes this so funny, is that I just had the same kind of discussion with this guy, on a totally different subject.

In each of our conversations:

He was very wrong.
    He was extremely insulting, AND
    He never listened.

Frustrating isn't it.

Pete
    Not frustrating, there are many people who know I am right, and then there are a few like yourself.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    dlbrummels clearly has very limited knowledge of SMTP and how SMTP servers can work. That's an observation based on his posts, not an ad hominem attack.

The fact is, when you connect to the Internet via your Treo 600, you connect through (e.g.) Sprint. Sprint is your "point of entry" ISP. You get an IP address from Sprint.

Many SMTP servers (outgoing e-mail servers) require that you connect to THEM with an IP address from THEIR network. As mentioned before, the motivation is often to help prevent scumbags from using the ISP's SMTP server as a spam gateway.

Many SMTP servers also require authentication via username and password. Usually for the same reason mentioned above.

And finally, many ISPs require both conditions be met before you can send outgoing e-mail on their SMTP servers.

Obviously different ISPs have different requirements, but dbrummel's "absolutes" are misleading and in several cases just incorrect. No offense intended. Just clarification.
    But you've been saying all along he can use Bellsouth's server, he just has to select authenticate by password. That won't work because he's not connecting to the internet with Bellsouth, but AT&T instead. Virtually all ISP's will not let you authenticate if you are not connected through them. That is why he must use AT&T's server on his Treo.

letgoflyers81 is completely correct here. I have a Sprint Treo600 and use Bellsouth as my home ISP. I cannot access bellsouth's smtp servers on my Treo whatever the settings are. You can only access bellsouth's smtp servers if you're actually logged onto bellsouth as your isp, plain and simple. It may vary according to other ISPs but that's they way bellsouth does it. Consequently, I use either Sprint's or yahoo's smtp server to send outgoing mail...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    dlbrummels clearly has very limited knowledge of SMTP and how SMTP servers can work. That's an observation based on his posts, not an ad hominem attack.

The fact is, when you connect to the Internet via your Treo 600, you connect through (e.g.) Sprint. Sprint is your "point of entry" ISP. You get an IP address from Sprint.

Many SMTP servers (outgoing e-mail servers) require that you connect to server as a spam gateway.

Many SMTP servers also require authentication via username and password. Usually for the same reason mentioned above.

And finally, many ISPs require both conditions be met before you can send outgoing e-mail on their SMTP servers.

Obviously different ISPs have different requirements, but dbrummel's "absolutes" are misleading and in several cases just incorrect. No offense intended. Just clarification.
    Incorrect, I post to try and help people, not give my opinion, or try and rack up posts with wasted comments.

I never said absolutely anything as to what is cemented in stone. You make assumptions based on your limited knowledge and inability to comprehend. I try and post as the reader can understand and not confuse more.

My knowledge of SMTP servers is not limited. I have had, AT&T WorldNet, Prodigy, MSN, CompuServe, and SBC Ameritech. I have had dozens of email accounts on many computers and have never had a problem setting one up.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    letgoflyers81 is completely correct here. I have a Sprint Treo600 and use Bellsouth as my home ISP. I cannot access bellsouth's smtp servers on my Treo whatever the settings are. You can only access bellsouth's smtp servers if you're actually logged onto bellsouth as your isp, plain and simple. It may vary according to other ISPs but that's they way bellsouth does it. Consequently, I use either Sprint's or yahoo's smtp server to send outgoing mail...
    G Funk, thanks for that info. Now I know I need to use AT&T's servers for outgoing mail. No need to waste more time trying to make my Treo connect with BellSouth. Thanks a million.

Thanks to all. Have a nice holiday!!!

Ken
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast