1.    #1  
    , , ,

My treo was stolen yesterday (had the insurance though). Fortunatley, I had just enabled the phone/palm lock that requires one the use of a password to operate. I already suspended the phone service, if I remember correctly doesn't the palm dump it's info after several failed password attempts, rendering it useless?
    or
    Did some thief out there get himself a new palm!
    Are there any other steps I should take, I did have access to my email, etc. ???
    "I'm afraid If that information falls into the wrong hands, it could change the world as we know it."(or worst yet identity theft)

any suggestions would help.

thanks.

aD
    I don't think the information is erased after a given number of failed password attempts. The question I have is can the thief still Hotsync? If so, they could get all your data that way.

I also wonder if there is some way for the thief to change the "ID"(ESN) of the phone so they would be able to use it and not be caught? Given the phone has GPS related features for 911 calls it seems there would be a way to find the phone if in wireless mode. I know a killer here in GA was tracked down by simply having his cell phone on. He never dialed 911 and I'm sure his phone was less sophisticated than the Treo 600. But the cops probably don't feel a case of a stolen Treo is "big" enough to do whatever is needed to find the phone.

Given you did have it password protected the thief will probably get frustrated and hard reboot the thing. But there is no telling. You might want to consider taking some of the steps mentioned here: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs17a.htm

Also for future reference, use a program with strong encryption for your sensitive data. Personally I like LinkeSoft's Secret program. You can set it to clear all data held in the application after a certain number of failed password attempts. And if anyone did get the application file(s) onto a computer the strong encryption will make stealing your information a lot harder.

That page link for the "Secret" program mentions:
    Anybody getting access to your handheld can perform a HotSync and read your private records with a standard hex editor.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    O.K. now it time for a Security Application Wrapup - what is the best, Cost, Features.
    anyone have another app with works better...
  4.    #4  
    -Darnell, Thanks for the info and the informative link

"Given you did have it password protected the thief will probably get frustrated and hard reboot the thing."

Won't info-contacts, etc. be lost with hard reboot?

aD
    With a hard reboot all is lost.

With password applications the length of your password makes all the difference.
    See: http://linkesoft.com/secret/security.html
    Doesn't SplashID do the same thing?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I just did a little checking and SplashID uses 256-bit blowfish encryption. (Keep in mind you need a pretty long password to take advantage of that full 256-bit encryption.)

LinkeSoft's Secret program uses IDEA 128 bit encryption. (And you need a 24 character password to even take full advantage of IDEA 128 bit encryption.) IDEA encryption is the more accepted and proven encryption method used in PGP.

Personally I'm not even going to use a 24 character password, so anything beyond 128 bit is overkill for me. Especially for entering characters in my PDA. And once someone is able to make a machine powerful enough to break 128 bit encryption in a reasonable amount of time we all will probably be using some other form of encryption anyway . Current estimates are that using all the computers on the Internet it would take you 270 trillion years to break 128 bit encryption right now.

Here is a great writeup about the various types of sotfware encryption out there.

Both are basically using good methods of encryption. I'm personally a fan of IDEA encryption though since it has been around longer and been through more scrutiny.

Splash ID does have a nicer looking interface, but LinkeSoft's Secret program has viewers for far more platforms than Splash ID. LinkeSoft's Secret program cost $19 for the palm program $29 for both the palm and desktop program. Splash ID cost $29.95 for both the palm and desktop program and they can't be purchased seperately.

So both programs have their positives and negatives. Looks like they both get the job done overall to me. That's what really counts .
    One intersting thing I did notice is that Splash ID appears to allow a different password for the desktop program than the palm side application. With Secret the password is set on the Palm and is always the same on the desktop.

Secret's "same password method" makes sense to me since the level of encryption is based on the password you setup. That's how encryption usually works. So I'm not able to understand how Splash ID can allow different passwords? Can anyone explain that to me? Seems not the jive with how software encryption typically works.

(Nevermind, I just checked and although Splash ID allows different passwords you can't sync the data unless the passwords match. Now that makes sense.)